navigation

Monday 23 February 2015

New In At The Drugstore - Spring Edition


Around certain times of the year there always seems to be a flurry of new launches, from both the drugstore and high-end ends of the spectrum. Alongside these too comes a flurry of related posts and videos from the online beauty community, and after a little perusal myself the other day in my local Boots, I decided to do the same. Going round each stand, seeing what's new, picking up what I liked the look of and now it's time to unveil my findings to you lot. Are you sitting comfortably? Let's begin the first 'New In At The Drugstore'...
 
Barry M's Spring 2015 collection has arrived and after a good debate at the stand, I chose three four items I thought looked the most interesting and I would get good use of. They've firstly added three new shades to their 'Gelly Hi-Shine' line up (£3.99), a range I'm a huge fan of, so I picked up one that looked most unique to my lacquer collection, 'Sky Blue' - a straight-up (you've guessed it) pale blue. As always with the Gelly line, these claim to provide a super shiny, gel-like finish that lasts and lasts, a concept I've always agreed with aside from one rogue shade I tried a few months ago - let's not go into that, eh? I also picked up one shade from a completely new nail collection - the 'Speedy Quick Dry Nail Paints' (£3.99) - and I chose the shade 'In A Heartbeat', a pretty pastel salmon pink. These, as you would imagine, claim to dry far quicker than their usual Nail Paint formula, which I already find to dry fairly swiftly on myself, so any few seconds of the clock would just be a bonus. In my personal experience of these standard 'Quick Dry' nail formulas though, I often don't notice that much of a difference in drying time, so I will give them a whirl and report back. They've also added a new topcoat to their collection - the 'Plumpy Top Coat' (£2.99) - which is from what I can see, designed to give any nail polish the gel-like finish the 'Gelly' ones already have. This concept I really like and if it does indeed make a standard polish looks like one from their Gelly range I will be very happy indeed. Finally from Barry M, two new shades to their 'Gelly Lips' line (£4.99), with the hi-shine concept of their nail predecessors mirrored into lip format. I already own two of the original colour range and love their glossy-but-not-too-glossy formula and high colour payoff. I picked up the 'Stigma' shade - a gorgeous bright orangey coral - a purchase definitely made with the warmer months in mind.
 
Next, onto another drugstore favourite - Maybelline - and the launch of their 'Rebel Bouquet' collection - you know I love a good floral theme. They've added some new, bright, spring-themed shades to their Colour Show range and I of course picked up the glitteriest, sparkliest one of them all - 'Bouquet' (£3.99). This is such a beaut of a shade, I literally threw this in my basket with excitement when I spotted it. A perfect mix of small and larger white, pale pink and rose gold glitter flecks suspended in a clear topcoat formula. Can I rave about this anymore? I know the photos don't do it justice, so if you're near a Maybelline stand anytime soon, just go and have a gander at this and try and resist not popping it in your basket. Expect a 'Polish Pick' post featuring this beauty very soon...
 
I then wandered over to the Bourjois stand on a tip-off from Lily Pebbles who featured a new launch of theirs in her 'New Beauty Launches' video recently. Introducing, the 'Colourband 2-in1 Eyeshadow and Liner' (£5.99). Now, this one in theory seems good - a cream eyeshadow in pencil format, meaning you can either draw them all over your eyelid and blend out for a wash of colour, or apply them just at the lashline as a liner. However, whilst I am a big fan of cream shadows in themselves, when combined with the 'chubby stick' housing, I've never got on with them particularly well, typically finding them much dryer in formula than their pot cousins and not giving such a desirable finish on the lids. I was still intrigued by these anyway, so picked up a shade that looked most unique to what I've already got eyes-wise - 'Mauve Baroque' (and my am I glad I don't have to attempt to say that out loud) - a very pretty lilacy-grey with the slightest hint of silver shimmer running through it. No doubt if these get the thumbs up I'll be rushing back to get some others, but for now this is the one I'll be road testing.

Last, but by no means least is probably my personal favourite launch of them all. I've mentioned cream eyeshadow, now we're talking powder - and by that I can only mean - palettes. There's just something about them that gets everyone buzzing in the beauty world, isn't there? These are new from Collection and they are the 'Eyes Uncovered Palettes' (£3.99, introductory offer of £2.99). They've launched a grand total of three - yes, three - and let's just say if you're a neutrals gal like myself, these'll be right up your street. There's 'Nude' - a standard collection of cool-toned neutrals, mattes and shimmers (similar in a way to the Naked Basics 2 in my opinion), 'Nude Grey' - a collection with (you've guessed it) grey undertone running through them, and 'Nude Bronze' - a set of all shimmers with more warm shades incorporated for that classic bronzed eye. Now, unlike all the others where I perhaps only bought one of each shade, here I went a little mad and decided to throw all three of these in my basket as they just looked that good and combined with a discounted introductory offer, it just had to happen. I love that they only contain a select six shades - perfect for travelling - as opposed to the classic 12, which usually feature a few you could really do without. If these live up to their Little Mix palette released last year, I will be more than happy.

So that just about wraps up my first 'New In At The Drugstore' post round these parts! No doubt when the next influx of releases in Boots and Superdrug starts up again I'll be back with another selection ready to show and tell you all about...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS