navigation

Friday 24 February 2017

Tried and Tested: Barry M Matte Me Up Liquid Lip Kits






I know, I know - it was only a couple of weeks ago that I picked up a fair few shades of the new Makeup Revolution Retro Matte Luxe Lip Kits to give a go here - and now here I am, reviewing yet another liquid lipstick launch. What can I say? #MakeupObsessed. Only a few days after that post I heard all about Barry M releasing a very similar range - their Matte Me Up Liquid Lip Kits - and so while I may have only just added a handful of new liquid lippies into my stash, I just knew I had to pick some of Barry M's offerings up too. It's only fair, right? I guess this post kinda doubles up as a handy two-in-one aswell as not only can I review these as a standalone product, but also give a little comparison between the two and see what ones I perhaps prefer. Wanna find out more? Carry on reading...

Unlike the Makeup Revolution launch, this time round I picked up the whole range - mainly because a). there was only three to choose from and b). I fell in love with all of the colours on offer. All varying tones of nude, pink and brown - I just couldn't choose between them. There's 'Go To' - a pretty brown-based nude, 'Pose' - a more pinky-toned neutral shade and finally, the one I was probably most excited to try, 'Runway' - a gorgeous, deep berry pink. As is the norm for 'Lip Kits', these sets once again come with a liquid lipstick plus the lip liner in the (hopefully) matching colour and these ones retail for £6.99 - so just ever-so-slightly more expensive than those from Makeup Revolution. Packaging-wise, I personally a big fan of it - I like the design and how the colours are clearly represented and also - for once, they seem to match up with what you actually get inside pretty well too. Halleujah! But asides from all things aesthetic-related, I guess the most important thing is how well do they actually work?

Before I even applied any of these beauties onto my lips, I of course swatched them all for you lovely lot (as you can see above). As you can see, I'd say every single pair of lip liner and liquid lipstick for each kit matches up pretty well - always a good thing - and I can safely say that this translates once you apply them to the lips too. The lip liners are all of a really nice texture, gliding onto the lips easily but still with enough resistance to allow for complete control and reassure you that they're most likely gonna do the job  at staying in place and all that good stuff. As for the matte liquid lipsticks themselves, they're very different to any other liquid lipstick I've tried and used before. They're super liquidy and thin, so much so you have to be careful to not tip the tube upside down so things don't get messy, but they really do apply like a dream onto the lips as a result. While the texture is rather watery, they're still incredibly rich and pigmented - applying evenly and fully opaque in one light layer. Once applied, they dry down almost instantly and - best of all - they have that powdery matte finish that I love. As I mentioned in my review of the Makeup Revolution Lip Kits, as much as I really liked them and found them to be super long-lasting (even regarding the lip liners), I perhaps wasn't as fully sold on the finish of the liquid lipsticks themselves. Don't get me wrong - they dried down, were fully transfer proof and did stand up to the test of time pretty well too, but the thicker consistency meant they still had that slight bit of tackiness left behind. I still enjoyed using them and would be happy to do so again, but I have to admit that now I've found these ones from Barry M - I feel they may just have overtaken them. For me, part of the appeal of a liquid lipstick is a finish that not only operates like a matte, but feels like one too and the Barry M Matte Me Up's definitely do that. They feel so super comfortable to wear and are so lightweight you almost forget you've got anything on at all.

However, of course, one of the main things when it comes to liquid lipsticks is obviously the longevity. I found the swatches on my arm to be pretty promising - particularly for the liquid lipsticks themselves. The lip liners from these sets are much less hard-wearing than the Makeup Revolution ones - reminding me more of your standard, normal lip liner formula - but the actual lip creams sure do take some scrubbing to remove. I tested them out on my actual lips and found this to be the case too. Throughout the day, they stayed fairly perfect on my pout. There was of course the slightest bit of wear on the very inside and centre of my lips, but that's much that can be expected from any liquid lipstick and other than that, the rest stayed intact right up until I was ready to remove my makeup in the evening. Much like basically every single liquid lip formula I've sampled, they do begin to feel a tad drying the more you wear them, but they're certainly not the worst offenders I've come across for this problem and if you can manage it - I'd definitely say it's worth it. For some reason, removal on my actual lips was a little easier than on my arm - but that's not something I'm complaining about. While I like my liquid lipsticks to be super long-lasting and durable, I don't like having to spend an age rubbing at my pout trying to get them off so I feel like this formula has kinda hit bang on in terms of maybe, just maybe, getting the best of both worlds. Who'd have thought it, eh?

So, overall, I think we can all conclude that these Barry M Lip Kits get the big fat thumbs up from me. I highly recommend picking them up if you're a liquid lip lover like myself or if you're simply in the market for a long-lasting lip colour that's not too excruciatingly unbearable to wear and remove and comes in three equally-gorgeous shades. Now I've tried these, I would say that they just have the edge on the Makeup Revolution ones in terms of finish and I feel like they will possibly be the ones I reach for more so because of that. Obviously, I have yet to try the original 'Lip Kits' from Kylie Cosmetics, so right now I can't really make an informed judgement regarding those, but at the moment I'm pretty happy to finally have a drugstore 'dupe' to tide me over until I maybe take the plunge at trying the infamous Kylie ones. Definitely a good shout if you're perhaps in the same boat too. Barry M have also released a grand total of five Matte Me Up Liquid Lip Paints that are sold alone as a regular liquid lippie, minus the lip liner and I have to say, I am sure keen to pick one or three of them aswell. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS