navigation

Wednesday 14 June 2017

Putting My Beauty Blender In The Microwave?!


Now, hear me out on this one. While it may at first sound slightly ridiculous and a bit 'what were you thinking?' it's actually something I saw/heard on the beauty grapevine recently and fancied giving a go myself. So I'm not completely crazy, after all. The majority of us own a Beauty Blender (or some kind of cheaper alternative) and I think we can all agree that while they are all kinds of amazing - cleaning them is definitely not so. Compared to makeup brushes, sponges just aren't as quick and easy to get clean and sanitised again. Luckily, I have got some products in my stash that do the job and aren't too time-consuming, but I'm always up for offers of products or routines that may cut down the whole process even more so. And that is where this little trick comes in...


As I said, I think I was persuing good ol' Twitter one day when I spotted this 'hack' pop up and I was pretty intrigued. Before then, I hadn't seen or heard of any way of cleaning your beauty sponge that doesn't involve a good few minutes spent at the sink washing, rinsing and drying things down until it's completely product and colour-free so it's safe to say that this was pretty revolutionary. The idea is you simply squire some fairy liquid in a cup or jug, fill it up with some water and then pop in your dirty sponge and microwave it for one minute and in theory, it should come out like it's brand-new again. Obviously, the proof is in the pudding and the main thing we all want to know is whether it actually works. It all sounds too good to be true, but is it?

Beforehand, I have to admit that I was a little concerned as to what would be going on in the microwave but after seeing the hack first off, I did look it up and do some further research to make sure it was legit and wouldn't set my microwave/house/myself alight (ok maybe that was an overexaggeration) and it all seemed ok so I of course followed exactly as the 'hack' instructed to - doing the same process I described above - and I have to say, I was pretty curious and excited to see just what was going to come out of my microwave when the minute was up. I left it for a couple of minutes to cool down as I was a little afraid of burning my hand when retrieving the jug from the microwave or taking the sponge out and I'd definitely say this is the best thing to do unless you have hands that are basically heat-resistant like my Mum's. Taking the jug out, things look pretty identical to how they did when I put them in and I was a little skeptical to how well it had worked. I took the sponge out, squeezed out the liquid and straight away, I noticed that a tonne of product came out - just like it usually does when washing it as normal. There was still some colour left behind, but honestly, that tends to be the case whenever I clean my sponge. I was curious though as t whether that was just staining, or actual product and so I actually stuck things back into the microwave for another full minute to see whether that would make nay difference. And you know what? I actually think it did. This time round, there was even more reside coming away from the sponge - so it was excess product, afterall - and afterwards, there was much less colour left behind. I repeated this another few times and eventually, there was nothing coming away and so I was assured that any blemishes left behind on my sponge wasn't due to it being 'dirty' and packed full of foundation, concealer and the like. 

Overall, I actually feel like this was a fairly effective way of cleaning my beloved beauty sponge. As I mentioned earlier, one thing I really like about this method is the fact it involved an intense form of heat which means that not only are you removing all the dirt, grime and product from your sponge, you are also killing any bacteria that may be harboring inside of it too - something which is just as important too. The fairy liquid made for a pretty good cleanser and also left my sponge with a very nice fragrance afterwards too. If I had anything negative to say, I perhaps wasn't as impressed with how soapy and product-laden my sponge was afterwards, but admittedly this tends to be the case whenever I clean my sponge and I also did find that this was fixed when I rinsed in a few times in warm water as I always tend to do. All in all, I would definitely consider using this quick and easy hack next time when my sponge is in rather desperate need of a good ol' clean. Will you be trying it out for yourself? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS