navigation

Wednesday 7 October 2015

A Guide To Berry Lips




It's Autumn, so of course that inevitably calls for the berry to be brought back into our lives again - right? I could happily wear the shade all year round - particularly on the lips - but it's only when the leaves begin to turn brown that I deem it appropriate to don and so that is exactly what I've been doing in the past couple of weeks now the cooler weather has begun to make an appearance. Prepare yourselves - the berry has returned.

Now, I personally feel this can be further categorised into sections when it comes to berry hues. This term itself can encompass a wide, wide variety of different shades and so for me, there's three major groups that different lip colours can fall into...
 
THE 'RED' BERRY - This is perhaps the hue most would look into first, as it's quite possibly the most easy to wear and couples up with all kinds of makeup looks. These types of shades sit just that little bit darker from your classic, pillar-box reds and go more into the 'burgundy' side of things. They suit pretty much anyone and everyone and give that subtle nod to Autumn without going too cray cray experimental with more daring colours. One shade that does this for me is the Maybelline Colour Drama Velvet Lip Pencil in 'Red Essential'. This is a real deep red, almost burnt-looking and fills this quota of the red-tinged berry perfectly.
 
THE 'PINK' BERRY - Scooting on over to the pinkier side of things and this is where we're talking a more 'raspberry' take on the berry bandwagon. Softer than the reds and still less 'out there' than the purples (more on that next), these add a little more girly-ness to proceedings and are perhaps the most brightening to the complexion. For this, I'd recommend the Bourjois Rouge Edition Velvet in 'Ole Flamingo!'. Now, some of you may be sitting there thinking 'That ain't a berry, that's more of a bright-ish pink', and in some ways I'd agree, but if I'm honest, when I think of pinky-berry tones I think of shades that sit that tad more 'in yer face' than the ones I'd opt for in the red and purple arenas and so I'm counting this a one of those hues. In comparison to the other pink shade I own from this collection - 'Pink Pong' - it's definitely less bright than that and has that richer, raspberry element to it, and hey - it's a good option for those who want the berry in their life but don't want to go too dark or vampy with it.
 
THE 'PURPLE' BERRY - Finally, onto the shades that sit on the 'purple' end of the spectrum. With these, they often could be classed as either of the above as well, but to me they just seem to mix the best parts of both into one, hence the alternative terming. I personally feel there's one lipstick that does this and more and is a complete bargain - it is of course the Rimmel Lasting Finish Kate Moss Matte Lipstick in '107'. It's a classic, yanno? Yeah, in some lights some may argue it to be a 'deep red', but to me in comparison to the Maybelline one this is far more plum-y and so I'm personally putting it in this category. I'd put a bet on most of you reading this nodding along, already possessing this in your collection, but if you aren't a member of that fan club - you should be.

10 comments:

  1. The Colour Drama looks great - really nice shade, and I love the convenience of a lip crayon :)

    Misia xx | gowashyourface.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a really lovely shade! An almost burgundy-toned red - so flattering on pretty much everyone! It's so easy to apply and the formula is matte, but still comfortable and not at all drying. Highly recommend! X

      Delete
  2. I really want a Kate Moss lipstick! I may have to bite the bullet and invest :D x

    closingwinter.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're SO good! I'd really recommend giving shade (or two) a go! X

      Delete
  3. All the shades are gorgeous!!I have the maybelline one and i'm in love...The only bad is that you need to sharp it but we can't have everything haha ^_^

    xoxo Afrodite ~ BubblyBeauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are! The Maybelline Colour Drama Pencils are SO good - I really need to pick up some more shades! I have to admit that is my only gripe with them too, but like you said - I guess that's what pencil sharpeners are for, eh! X

      Delete
  4. I love all of these but especially the pink bourjois 'Ole Flamingo'. Such a bright, vibrant, stunning shade! xx

    Sam // Samantha Betteridge

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that shade too! So brightening on the complexion, yet still has that lovely berry-ness to it! X

      Delete
  5. These are some of my favourite drugstore lip products! They're so beautiful :)

    love, lissyhayes.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS