navigation

Friday 9 October 2015

New In At The Drugstore


Remember those 'New In At The Drugstore' posts I like to do every now and again on this 'ere blog, where I gather up the latest releases from the likes of Boots and Superdrug and give you the deets and any possible first impressions along the way? Then get ready as on my latest shopping trip I discovered a fair few new launches amongst the depths of the drugstores, so of course it'd be rude not to share them with you lovely lot, eh? Let's get into it...

The first new release I have to show you all is from L'Oreal. Over the past year or so they've come out with a couple of ranges of Colour Riche Lipsticks where they choose a particular shade and make a selection of different hues to suit different skintones, naming each after a certain famous face. You may well recall the 'Nude' and 'Red' lines they came out with - so of course it was only a matter of time before they launched one entirely centred around all things Pink. And now, here they are - the L'Oreal Exclusive Pinks Collection Colour Riche Lipsticks (£6.99 each). L'Oreal claim these to be an "iconic collection created by the most charismatic and emblematic women of worth to enable every woman to wear the perfect shade that suits her in each color family". I decided to pick up two shades which looked most appropriate for me (and the two I'd already eyed up on Anna's blog) - 'Eva's Delicate Rose' (a 'YLBB'-type shade with that whole pinky-mauve look to it) and 'Blake's Delicate Rose' (a fair more 'in yer face' shade, a bright blue-based pink that still manages to be wearable - if that makes any sense at all). These look to be gorgeous shades for when you want to wear a lighter shade on your pout, but still want it to look like you're wearing something, yanno? And if the formula is as good as the others I've tried from their Exclusive Collections ranges, we're onto a good'un. P.S. Just beware of the slightly Granny-ish smell.

Next up are a couple of latest drops to the Rimmel stand. The first has to be the most hyped-up out of the two, these are the Rimmel London The Only 1 Lipsticks (£6.99 each). They were first mentioned a few weeks back when Rimmel teased us with a few images on Twitter, hinting at a 'Revolution' coming very soon. There were suggestions from people of a complete rebrand, and others believing it implied a new product launch - and those lucky peeps were bang on. Later on Rimmel revealed their 'Lipstick Revolution' with their new 'The Only 1' lipstick range. These claim to be "a no compromise all-in-one lipstick" with "long-lasting colour, comfort, moisture and wear". According to Rimmel, they are "the perfect balance of high impact colour, moisture, all day comfort and staying power". To me, in essence these are supposedly a 'the best of both worlds'-type lipstick formula. They almost seem too good to be true as they appear to cover all bases - long-lasting colour but without compromising on comfort. I'm sure most people would see these as the answer to all their lipstick prayers, but whether they actually do deliver on all of those bold claims is something I will have to find out and report back on, fo' sho'. There are 15 shades available to choose from and while that's quite a lot for a first launch, I do think there's not perhaps as much option in regards to the nude, natural side of things. I picked up the colours '300 Listen Up!' (a bright, raspberry red) and '800 Under My Spell' (a dark, vampy purple. This one's definitely more daring and perhaps difficult to wear, but I really want to give it a go anyway and step out of my comfort zone!) The second new release from Rimmel is a new mascara offering. Now, this is infact the first lash mascara I've ever bought from them (a surprise considering Rimmel is one of my favourite drugstore brands), but for the purpose of this post and also because my Benefit Roller Lash is due to give up the ghost very soon, I picked this one up to try out. This is the 'Super Curler 24Hr Mascara' (£6.99). Rimmel claim this to be "a mascara and lash curler in one" with a "volumising formula with built-in lash curler power builds a dramatic curl that will last all day". The formula has "curling & fixing polymer instantly push up lashes to a perfect curve that holds for 24HR". They also suggest this can be used either entirely on its own as a regular mascara, or can be employed as a top coat layered on top of another mascara to give a curlier, more lifted finished result. As this is so new I'm yet to hear anything come back on the beauty grapevine about just how well this works, and as this is the first mascara I've sampled from Rimmel I don't really have much to go on so I'm looking forward to trialling this out and seeing how well it compares to other mascaras I've found and loved so far this year.

The next newbie to the drugstore comes from Maybelline, and this I just happened to come across by chance as I was scanning the aisles and saw this perched on the top, promotional part of the stand - they've come out with three new 'flavours' of their hugely-popular Baby Lips, this time being their Baby Lips 'Winter Delight' range (£2.99). Like with all the Baby Lips, these claim to "give intense lip care & 8 hr hydration and conditioning care for lips that feel baby soft", with these ones in particular claiming to "pamper your lips with comforting winter flavours". As I said, there are three in the collection from what I can see they are formulated like shades already seen in the original collection, but this time very centered around the scents and smells we typically associate with the cooler time of year - as the name would correctly imply. I picked up one to show you lovely lot, and this was the one I personally thought sounded most delicious and I would get the most use out of. This is 'Hot Cocoa' and on first glance the shade looks identical to the 'Peach Kiss' nude shade of the original line. I gave this is sniff after I took the above photo and it is just all kinds of delicious. A very chocolatey smell, almost akin to a typical cocoa butter scent - very rich and luxurious smelling and one that is most certainly good enough to eat. The other two in the range that I personally opted against were the 'Sweet Apple' (akin to the original 'Cherry Me' colour) and 'Sugar Cookie' (akin to the 'Pink Punch' from the classic line). Very yummy-sounding indeed.
 
Moving on to new releases of the fragrance and body category, this is a very exciting launch and it is of course the new collection of Zoella Beauty (Ranging from £5.00 to £15.00). Zoe has added a grand total of seven new items to her 'Classic' range (that I originally reviewed here), from makeup bags/coin purses to a reed diffuser and everything in between. Most of the designs match up with the ones from her first collection, with a couple of new patterns thrown in for extra measure and all of the bodycare items are branded akin to her 'Classic' packaging and match up with the scent from that line (which I remember really loving) too. There were a couple of other items I was tempted by (I still think I may have to go out and buy the reed diffuser for my new room at some point) I only opted for two in the end - the 'Wonder Hand Moisturing Hand Cream' (£5.00) and the 'Blissful Mistful Solid Fragrance' (£5.00). When I saw Zoe had added a hand cream to the line-up of #ZoellaBeauty I was more than just a little excited to say the least. I seem to have a thing for trying new ones, and especially round this time of year I love buying them. As I said, I really like the 'Classic' scent (a nice balance between 'floral' and 'sweet' - almost akin to Parma Violet sweets) and this bears the same smell. This claims to "pamper hands with this heavenly hand cream, scented with a calming, feminine fragrance" and is also "enriched with luxurious Vitamin E, Shea Butter and Aloe to leave your skin super silky". The outer packaging is very gorgeous and features the typical colour palette of this range (corals, mints and a touch of rose gold) with the standard featuring of polka dots and lace detailing and the actual hand cream itself is encased in a rose gold/copper coloured tube - *Swoons*. Combine my two loves for both hand creams and this range together and I am very much looking forward to giving this a whirl and reporting back on my thoughts. Moving on, the solid fragrance is just that - a "handy tin in your bag so a swipe of serene scent is always at your fingertips" - taking the liquid body mist in this scent of the 'Classic' line and turning it into a solid, more convenient option. The other one will still be available, but I think this is a nice alternative to sling in your bag and apply on the go and is in fact the first solid fragrance I've ever bought - exciting times.
 
Finally for this mammoth beast of a post I have some new releases from Barry M for their Autumn Collection. Since picking these two items up I have noticed there are a few other newbies they've launched alongside them that I didn't see at the time of collating all these bits 'n bobs but I may go and have a little gander at some point very soon - from a new eyeshadow palette (which looks a very similar, more condensed version of the Naked 3), blush, bronze and highlight palette, a liquid highlighter, lip gloss palette and three different primers. They also, of course have released the new 'Speedy Quick Dry' shades that I already featured in my last 'NIATD' post here. However, I only bought some of their other new nail-based releases to show you all today. Barry M have in fact also brought out four new shades to their 'Gelly' line-up, all based around the 'off-black' concept - one dark green, red, blue and purple. However, these didn't personally flat my boat and I couldn't see myself wearing them as they are very dark, but if they do sound like your kind of thing definitely go and have a look! I personally went for a shade from two other collections they've released. The first is actually exclusive to Superdrug and is also a Gelly formula. This is one of two of their 'Glitter Gelly' Polishes (£3.99) called 'Sparkling Amethyst' and as the name would suggest, these have a shimmery finish as opposed to the traditional crème of the original line. I chose this one out of the other 'Sparkling Ruby' as I felt it was more unique in my collection and I'm looking forward to lacquering up with this very soon as we heard further into Autumn/Winter. I also noticed how these two seem to have adopted the new flat, wide brush that I personally look for in all my polishes now and that the Speedy ones already possess - hooray! Finally, the other polish I opted for is available in all stores (phew!) and is a newbie from their new Autumn Sunset Polish Collection (£3.99 each). As before, these claim to "deliver the look and resilience of pro salon gel nails without a UV lamp or the expense" with "no need for a basecoat as the special formulation bonds to the nail like a gel in daylight but can still be removed with a regular remover". I picked up the shade 'Dark Side Of The Shroom', a lilac-y, greige-type shade (very 'ViviannaDoesMakeup') and if the formula is as good as what I've tried from the original line, I'll be very impressed indeed...

4 comments:

  1. Ooh, sounds like there's a lot for me to check out next time I'm in Boots! I like the sound of the mascara, I'm in the market for a good one at a decent price (I'm kinda done with higher end mascaras I think, it just seems too much to pay for something that only lasts a couple of months!)
    Misia xx | gowashyourface.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There definitely is haha! It does sound a good concept doesn't it, now starting to give it a go - will report back soon on my thoughts! I used to tell myself high-end mascaras just weren't worth it, until I tried the Roller Lash and Better Than Sex ones and now I'm not so sure, even though they do run out quite quickly haha! I do still love my drugstore ones like The Falsies though! X

      Delete
  2. So beautiful and interesting all the products!!I checked out the lipsticks by L'oreal and i just love the shades...Also how much more cute can be the fragrance by Zoella Beauty ^_^

    xoxo Afrodite ~ BubblyBeauty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're such beauties, aren't they! I always think L'Oreal really do get it just spot on when it comes to their lipstick ranges - always a shade (or two) in there for everyone! And I just LOVE Zoe's ranges - both the 'Classic' and 'Tutti Fruity' scents and packaging themes are just all kinds of gorgeous! X

      Delete

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS