navigation

Wednesday 27 January 2016

Moment Of Makeup - The 'Minimal Makeup' Edition


It's cliché I know, but during this past month I have really been enjoying wearing more minimal makeup - not necessarily in the amount of products I wear, but more the effect given. A lighter, fresher finish that's ideal for this time of year when you want to look a little more put together but also wish to give your skin a break from all the stuff you slapped on it during December at the same time. Wanna know more? You know what to do...

I first start off as always with a moisturiser and recently I've been back on the Nivea Sensitive Day Cream bandwagon - I love this stuff, it leave my skin really hydrated but absorbs in nicely so creates a nice base for makeup. That being said, I do like to prime my skin as with it being a more minimal effect I'm going for, I want the products I am using to work in the best way they can and for my skin to look as 'perfected' (oh how I hate that word) as possible. I flit between different Rimmel ones, but at the moment I'm using up the Lasting Finish Primer and still really enjoy it. It feels like a moisturiser, but acts like a primer and feels very hydrating on my dry skin. Makeup lasts well on top of it and it also adds that extra 'glow' factor too - always a bonus. To then properly kick start things off on the actual makeup front, I take my Collection Illuminating Touch Foundation and apply a slightly lighter layer than I usually would and ensuring I really buff it into the skin so the two mesh together almost seamlessly. This foundation again caters well towards the 'radiant' look I'm going for (as the name would suggest) and it's also very light in coverage so evens out the skin nicely but doesn't feel heavy on the skin in any way. For concealer you know what one I'm about to mention - it is of course the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer. I just love this stuff and that is all I'm going to say on the matter today as you're more than likely to have heard me ramble on about it before *collective yawn*. I apply this to any areas I do need a touch more coverage - blemishes, bags and so on - and then with a finishing touch of some Rimmel Stay Matte Powder in any areas I want to dull the glow a tad to avoid it translating as being a lil' bit sweaty, the 'base' is complete!

In terms of colour for the complexion, I like to go in with my faithful Soap and Glory Solar Powder Bronzer as usual - again, I'll spare you the long ramble with this one as you're bound to know it all already. A mix of the two shades on a large blush brush gives the perfect shade for my paler skin and I apply this as a traditional bronzer - across my temples, down onto my cheeks and also nose - and also put a little through my cheekbones to contour slightly. As this look is more minimal I find bronzer to be enough alone for me to skip blush on this occasion and I instead move straight onto highlighter - which is of course theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer. This has to be my favourite highlighter I've found, with it being so pigmented you hardly need much at all to add serious glow into your complexion. The peachy-toned hue is also ideal for looking simply like a natural sheen on your skin, and the formula is so finely-milled that there's no big chunks of glitter to be seen. Winner!

Moving onto eyes, which is where things start to spice up a tad - if that's how you'd describe it. I obviously start with brows which is kind of the same as usual, but with one added step. I of course start with my L'Oreal Brow Artist Pencil in 'Blonde' and use this to fill in the majority of my brow, before using the Soap and Glory Archery Pencil in 'Hot Chocolate' and concentrating it on the tail and arch of my brows to give that area a little more definition. That's standard. However, recently (ad you would already know if you read this post), I have been also finally getting into the whole brow gel thang. The L'Oreal Brow Artist Plumper in 'Medium/Dark' is my weapon of choice and I simply run some of that through my brows to set them in place, add a touch more colour and also make them look a little fuller and 'real'. Then, onto actual 'eye' stuff and I of course started with my Urban Decay Primer Potion to make sure my eye makeup stayed put as it should, and then comes the good, new stuff. As you would already know if you read this post, I have been loving the Rimmel Magnif'eyes Mono Shadow in 'Millionaire' throughout the majority of this month. It's just the perfect shade for those days when you want to wear something on your lids, but don't want to go too crazy. This is a very light bronzey-gold that has a slight shimmer running through it - but so much so that it's hardly detectable. I also love the actual formula of these shadows - very creamy and easy to just wash all over for an easy eye look, with no falldown in sight. I also like to run a little touch of liner across my upper lash line as even on those minimal makeup days, I find it to make such a difference and add a little more definition to my eyes without looking that noticeable. I of course reach for a kohl in this instance, and the Collection Intense Colour Super Soft Pencil in 'Birdy Song' is still my top pick - very soft to apply, yet sets down in a matter of seconds and stays put till you say so. Finally for my eyes, I just can't go without mascara and recently I've fallen back in love with an old favourite, Maybelline's Lash Sensational Mascara. This does wonderful things to my lashes and simply makes them look all kinds of amazing, 'nuff said.

And last but of course by no means least is lips and for these more stripped-back makeup days there's just nothing better than a good 'ole nude. I still absolutely adore my Rimmel Kate Moss Nude Lipstick in '45'. I have been obsessed with this for well over half a year now and the same bullet I bought back then is now nearing resemblance to a little nub in the tube - I love it that much. This gives a gorgeous mauvey-toned neutral wash to the lips (very Kylie Jenner-esque) and for these types of days I like to wear it a little lighter, lacquering up my put with a slightly thinner layer and dabbing it in with my fingers to give a less heavy finish but the same effect. Mwah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS