navigation

Sunday 22 May 2016

6 Ways To Ensure Your Makeup Sticks Around #EveryDayMay


Whenever I apply makeup, I want it to last all day long. I think that's quite a common goal as to be honest - what exactly would be the point of putting it on at all if it were to wear off and diminish after under an hour? Especially with the weather now turning a tad warmer and Summer *hopefully* on the horizon, my thoughts are even more centred around the task of making my makeup stay put on my face for as long as possible. Here's some tips 'n' tricks I employ to do so...

  1. MOISTURISE. I always think, not matter what your skin type may be, it is essential to moisturise your skin before applying makeup if you want it to stand the test of time. Look for a moisturiser that's catered towards the preferences of your skin and ensure you put a good layer on a few minutes before you start to make yourself up. Having dry skin myself, I especially notice a difference in how my makeup looks and wears when I forget to apply a moisturiser beforehand - it all basically gets eaten up by lunchtime. And that is definitely not a good look.
  2. INVEST IN A GOOD PRIMER. I think this is one pointer that everyone is likely to give in regards to tips to helping the wear of makeup - but it really does work. Primers are brilliant for creating a lovely base for makeup to sit on top of, improving the application of makeup and also prolonging its wear too. Again, look for a primer suited to your skin type and go from there. Some may believe that it's all about the mattifying bases when it comes to ensuring makeup sticks around; and while for oily skins that is most likely true, I personally feel that for dry skin a nice hydrating primer will work far better.
  3. LAYER YOUR PRODUCTS. This is one tip I feel is perhaps a less obvious one that some may not have thought about before. Whenever I want my makeup to go the distance, I always try to layer my products more and it's something I find to work a treat every time. This rule can be applied to face, eyes and lips. For example, I'll go in with a cream eyeshadow as a base and once that's all set I'll go over the top with a powder shadow to intensify the colour and really seal everything in place and ensure it won't be moving around anytime soon. Applying light layers of makeup in general as opposed to one heavy layer will also help makeup wear (and also look far more aesthetically pleasing too).
  4. SET EVEYRTHING INTO PLACE. For this, I'm talking an old classic - powder - and a product which has more recently been gaining hype - setting spray. Both claim to set things down and into place and I'd agree that both do exactly that. Having skin hat's more dry, I tend to not powder as much as someone with perhaps oiler skin may do - but I still like to take it in key areas where I don't want to be glowy and I really want my makeup to last. For me, that's usually under my eyes, on my chin and down my T-zone (my nose and forehead). Choose the right powder which doesn't look heavy or cakey and you're good to go. Setting spray I've also really been getting into in recent years. Some are rather sceptical as to whether they actually do anything, but personally I notice a difference when I spritz my face with one as opposed to when I don't. Everything looks and feels locked into place and all the products I've applied instantly seem to mesh together into one and look far more natural.
  5. LOOK FOR 'LONG-LASTING' PRODUCTS. It sounds like an obvious one, but if you really want your makeup to stay on all day long, using products that claim to be 'long lasting' is probably one of the easiest ways to do so. While in some cases this can sometimes all be a cleaver marketing strategy (such as statements like 'lasts 24 hours'), for the most it is true. Also, think about it yourself too and know what products tend to be the most long-lasting by nature - such as matte foundations, cream eyeshadows and liquid lipsticks - and you can decipher what items to pick up, purchase and put on your face that day for a long-lasting look.
  6. BE MINDFUL OF YOUR MAKEUP. A more simple pointer would be to just remember you have makeup on in the first place. If you want it to last, try not to do anything yourself which could inadvertently cause the makeup to wear quicker, rub off or become completely ruined. All of the above tips 'n' tricks will give your makeup the best chance it has to stand the test of time, but part of it also comes down to yourself too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS