navigation

Saturday 21 May 2016

Drugstore Liquid Lipsticks - A Comparison #EveryDayMay


You may remember around the start of #EveryDayMay I put up this post where I showed you a selection of drugstore concealers I had in my collection that I've tried and tested over the years and attempted to compare them. I really enjoyed putting that post together and *hopefully* some of you just may have found it somehow useful, so today I thought I'd compile a post with a similar concept - but this time featuring a few different liquid lipsticks the drugstore has to offer.

I haven't tried many liquid lipsticks - high end or low end - but of the ones I have, they all fall into the latter category. There are so many formulations of more luxury brands which I would love to try someday, but for now I have only sampled from the cheaper end of the scale. If you saw this post (again, near the beginning of #EveryDayMay) you would have seen my little NYX lip haul where I picked up quite a few shades of their two formulas of liquid lipsticks so this will most certainly be a rather NYX-heavy post, but there will also be an old favourite thrown in there too...
 
BOURJOIS ROUGE EDITION VELVETS - ...And that 'old favourite' is of course this classic offering from Bourjois. This was the first liquid lipstick formulation I ever tried and still to this day it's one I love and regularly go back to. These go on like a standard liquid lipstick, but dry down to a thinner finish which feels super lightweight and almost bouncy on the lips. Whilst they are of a thinner texture once they are set, they go completely opaque in one layer and dry down in a matter of seconds to a finish which looks and is fully matte but doesn't feel drying in anyway.
 
NYX SOFT MATTE LIP CREAMS - Next up we're moving onto the newest additions to my liquid lipstick collection from NYX. While they're more of a recent find, I feel like they're both formulas I will continue to love and enjoy using for a long, long time as they're that good. This first range is kind of a liquid lipstick and also kinda not. They come in a similar packaging set-up with the doe foot applicator and on first appearance look in the tube like a normal liquid lippie. Application remains fairly identical, until we get to the finish. These do dry down to be 'matte', but it's not matte, matte - if you get what I mean. It's more of a 'velvet' finish where there's the tiniest hint of sheen left behind, certainly making them the most comfortable to wear - but also meaning they're not as durable. These require more general maintenance - but I still think it's worth it as they're gorgeous to wear and use and can be easily touched-up.
 
NYX LIP LINGERIE LIQUID LIPSTICKS - Then we come to the last, but certainly not least, product of this 'Liquid Lipstick Comparison' from the Drugstore. Another NYX inclusion and this time what some may dub their 'proper' liquid lipstick formula - and also their newest release which has got everyone talking recently. these are housed in an almost identical way to the most coveted, high-end brand offerings to the liquid lipstick market and come in a range of shades which are all some form of a nude, neutral hue (very universally pleasing considering that's what we're all into nowadays). These have the thickest texture and definitely require some prep with a nice, hydrating lip balm before application to ensure your lips don't resemble a prune - but oh man, is it worth it. One layer is more than enough and you can really feel and see them setting on your pout before your very eyes. These set to a super matte finish (the most matte of all of the ones featured) and can feel drying unless you prep and maintain well (like I said earlier), but these last forever on the lips with no touch-up's needed and when that's the case - I'm more than happy to forsake the condition of my lips for a day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS