navigation

Monday 5 June 2017

5 Things I've Learnt About Makeup Recently...


I feel like the whole beauty world, especially makeup, is ever-growing, changing and evolving and as a result, we all tend to do so in terms of the products we use and the way we apply them too. I definitely find myself switching things up in those departments every so often and overall, the way I apply my makeup and my 'skills' has certainly progressed and improved from how it used to be back in the early days. Recently, I've had a fair few makeup revelations and light bulb-type moments and so I figured I'd share them with you lovely lot so maybe you can try them out for yourself too...

  1. APPLY YOUR PRIMER WITH A BRUSH. This is a pretty 'basic' one to start things off with, but I guess the whole premise of this entire post is that these are all things that are quite mundane and I've only just come to realising myself - if ya get what I mean. I am a big advocate for priming the face prior to makeup - whether it be face or eyes - and for the former, I'd usually just disperse some product out and massage it across my complexion using my ten digits - until now, that is. Since watching a few tutorials online and seeing guys and gals using a buffing brush to apply and blend the face primer in I've started doing the same and I think I may be converted. It's quicker, easier, less messy (no need to run to the sink straight away) and I find a brush does just as good a job, if not better, at really meshing it with your skin and priming your face perfectly.
  2. DAMPEN YOUR BEAUTY SPONGE USING SETTING SPRAY. When it comes to actually applying your foundation or base of choice though, I've discovered another little 'hack' recently that I've also been cracking out too. Admittedly this is one I've sampled before a few times in the past but as of late, I've really gotten into it properly and can honestly see the difference. Obviously, for everyday, 'regular' makeup, dampening your beauty sponge with normal water is perfectly fine but if you're going to a special event/occasion or you simply really want your makeup to last and last and last - try spritzing it with your usual setting spray instead. Just like spraying it over your entire face at the very end of your makeup routine to really lock it into place, this will almost integrate those longevity-aiding powers into your base makeup itself and ensure it sticks around for as long as you want it too.
  3. GO (SLIGHTLY) HIGHER WITH YOUR APPLICATION. This is one I spotted in a tutorial (again) recently and gave a go the other day and really liked how it looked. It's one that I guess is something that I've kinda been doing subconsciously for a while as I know when it comes to makeup it is always best to go higher than lower but it really is true. Especially when it comes to cheek products like contour, blush and so on, I would really suggest you try going just a little (and I mean a little) bit higher with your application. Obviously, you still want to be putting product down where it's meant to go (like contour in the hollows of the cheeks), but just going a tad bit higher up with it will mean that you won't be dragging your face down and things will just look more lifted, plump and youthful.
  4. FOOLPROOF PRIMING OF THE EYELIDS. If you've been reading round these parts for some time now, you'll most likely know that I cannot do my eye makeup, ever, without priming my eyelids first. I think I must have oily lids or something as if I don't prime and prep my lids beforehand, things fade, get creasy and just generally look crappy pretty much straight away. Usually, I reach for my beloved Urban Decay Primer Potion and find this to be a pretty foolproof option that never lets me down no matter what but something that I have found recently is finally how I can actually use something other than that and have it actually work. Hallelujah! Normally, if I prime my lids with anything but the Primer Potion things will not work out well but the other day I tried applying it to my bare skin (or my bare lid, but that sounds a bit gross really, doesn't it?) that has no product - i.e. foundation, concealer etc - and it worked. Normally if I want to use cream shadows to prime I have to prime with my UD offering before, but as long as I use them on bare skin they work completely fine. Who would've thought it, eh?
  5. EYESHADOW AS NOSE CONTOUR. Recently, I have started trying to 'contour' my nose slightly. I say 'contour' as I mean not so much full-on contour, but more just adding a little bit of subtle definition and shape. Prior to recently, i'd just been going in with my usual contour pan - just with much less product on the brush and a lighter hand - but the other day, I tried a trick I saw somewhere and by someone a while ago, and that is to use an eyeshadow. Obviously, it has to be a matte formula and a 'contour'-type shade but I that the selection of shadow colours out there means you can customise the colour a little more and it all just looks a little m ore natural and less intense - you know what I mean? Just try it - you might be surprised...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS