navigation

Wednesday 24 January 2018

Tried and Tested: Makeup Revolution Conceal and Define Concealers




Left: C1, Right: C2

I am so excited about this post. Like, so excited. Back around the start of the month, Makeup Revolution dropped their new concealer - the 'Conceal and Define' Concealer - and everyone has gone absolutely cray cray for it, myself included. As soon as I saw the announcement - and later read and watched all of the pretty amazing reviews and demo's - I have been set on picking it up for myself to give a try. Luckily, I managed to get my hands on the two shades I wanted before they all sold out at TamBeauty and both online and in-store at Superdrug too and after what felt forever (but really actually wasn't) - my order at last arrived just over a week ago. I quickly got to testing them out and I feel like now I can finally report back on my final thoughts. Have I found my new holy-grail concealer? I think so. Oooh...

If you've been reading round these parts for some time, you'll most likely know that in terms of concealers, I almost-exclusively use only the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer. The classic, infamous affordable concealer that's been around for yonks and everyone and their Nan has used and more often than not, fell in love with. I was certainly one of those people, first picking it up a good six or seven years ago when I first 'properly' got into makeup and it becoming my staple concealer ever since. Don't get me wrong, I have tried and liked a handful of others over that time period, and no matter what I always use another one with a thicker consistency in areas where I need any extra coverage (hello, Rimmel Lasting Finish Concealer) but aside from that, good ol' Lasting Perfection is where my heart has been at, concealer-wise, for a pretty long time now. However, at the very start of this year, whilst comprising my 2017 Favourites and adding it into the line-up once again, I think I finally came to realise how reliant I have become on it. By no means is that a 'bad' thing, but I kinda resolved to perhaps find something in 2018 that finally matched, or maybe even bettered, my love for it and quite literally only a few days later - Makeup Revolution launched this concealer. It almost felt like fate. As I said, after having a read-up about it and later seeing and reading what others had to say about it; I soon decided that it may just be a pretty decent contender and placed my order. And let me tell you, I really could not contain my excitement when it finally arrived. I actually included it in a whole Makeup Revolution Haul here (oh yeah, I picked up a few other items too while I was there) and also gave it a mention in my latest 'New In At The Drugstore' last week here - with it begin a pretty fresh launch to the drugstore scene - but I promised you all a proper review after I gave it a full-on road-test and so, here we are!

As I've mentioned, this claims to be 'the concealer for everyone'. A pretty bold statement, I think we'll all agree, but read on and you'll soon understand why it instantly sold itself to me. It claims to be a 'lightweight yet full coverage concealer that covers blemishes, even skin tone and counteract dark circles with a matte finish that won't settle or accentuate fine lines and pores'. It also claims to have 'long-wearing, intense pigment that can also be used to contour' and 'a large doe foot applicator that won't drag on delicate skin under your eyes'. Sounds rather amazing, right? I personally just picked up the shades I felt would best suit my skin-tone to conceal with at first, as I obviously had no idea if I would even like the products itself - and of course, with me being of a fairer complexion, I opted or the two lightest shades, 'C1' ('for fair skin tones with neutral undertone') and 'C2' (for fair skin tones with  yellow undertone'). Makeup Revolution has actually come out with a grand total of 18 (yes, that's right, eighteen!) shades for this launch, which for a drugstore brand (and an initial release too) - that's pretty darn good. Usually, drugstore/affordable brands can be pretty poor when it comes to shade ranges of base products (foundations, concealer, powders etc.) and typically, they will not cater for everyone - particularly those of deeper complexions. However, Makeup Rev have kinda broke the mould when it comes to that, releasing this concealer with so, so many colours - from the fairest of fair, all the way up to the deepest of deep, with varying undertones along the way too. Now, we all know I sit very much on the 'fair' end of the spectrum, so I personally straight away went to that end of the colour range to find my perfect colour - and I figured it'd be best to pick up a the two lightest shades to ensure I got exactly that. 'C1' is a super bright, pale colour with a neutral undertone, whilst 'C2' is ever-so-slightly darker (but still very much pale) and with more of a yellow base - both of which work perfectly for me as I generally find anything neutral or yellow-toned to suit my skin-tone the best - particularly for counteracting my dark circles and neutralising redness, the main reasons I generally wear concealer in the first place. I actually find both shades to work perfectly for me - 'C1' is slightly paler than my complexion and so works well for areas where I want a more brightened/highlighted effect, such as under the eyes; whereas 'C2' is more akin to my actual skin-tone and so works perfectly for any other areas around the face. 

So, that's exactly how I utilised them - and you know what? They. Are. Awesome. The combination of the short handle and super-large doe foot (that really is super soft and practically glides across the face) makes for an easy-peasy application and I find one 'dip' into the tube is more than enough at a time. The consistency is thick, but not too thick and bizarrely, it really does feel pretty lightweight to wear on the skin. It's super-duper high in coverage - even more so than the likes of Collection Lasting Perfection - and I find it to blend out really beautifully too. It doesn't set too quickly and so allows you enough time to blend things in and it manages to mesh into the skin nicely without losing any of that insane coverage - and when it does dry down, it's more of a 'satin matte' and is by no means super dry or chalky. After setting it into place - whether with typical pressed powder, or 'baked' using a translucent loose one - it remains looking pretty awesome and doesn't emphasise any texture, pores or lines at all. And best of all? It stays that way, all. day. long. Come the end of the day, the coverage is still amazing, the finish is still super-smooth and there is no creasing, no breakdown of product, no nothing. All for the bargainous price of just £4. FOUR. POUNDS. 

Honestly, I'm gonna just come out and say it - I think this has to be the best concealer I have ever used. Yes, that's right, I have finally found something that surpasses my beloved Collection Lasting Perfection. Madness. Not only is it so super affordable and comes in a hugely diverse and inclusive range of shades (and they have also announced there's more to come in March!) - it also has such amazingly high coverage, lovely finish and awesome wear-time too. If you haven't gave into the crazy hype surrounding this product yet - do it. It really is as utterly amazing as everyone is making it out to be. I think I might even have to go back and pick up a shade or two to try contouring with...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS