navigation

Friday 22 June 2018

Tried and Tested: Soph X Revolution - Take Two...









Last year, in September, the lovely Soph - from 'SophDoesNails - launched her very first makeup collaboration with Makeup Revolution (now just 'Revolution'), of whom she had recently become a member of the Social Media Team and everyone, myself included, loved it. Featuring an eyeshadow palette and a highlighter palette - both for amazing prices and of equally-amazing quality to boot - they went down a storm and have since become probably one of, if not my top picks in each of their retrospective categories in my collection. The eyeshadow palette in particular was a complete revelation, opening up my eyes for the first time to the eye palettes Revolution have on offer and prompting me to buy into a fair few others since, including another of their recent collaborations by Tammi, from 'MakeupByTammi' (which was also completely awesome). So, when Soph finally announced her secret news, that Soph X Revolution Round 2 was in the offing - and it included another eyeshadow palette - I just knew I had to pick it up. However, just like last time round, they haven't stopped there - this time, completing the collection with three nude lipsticks. By this point, I was already ready to place my order, so the following day when the collection went live - that's exactly what I did - and finally, the other day, it arrived. Since then, I've had some time to play around (after getting some very-important blog photos first, of course) and gather my thoughts, so what better time than now to share them with you lovely lot? Let's get started...

First things first, let's start with the 'Extra Spice' Eyeshadow Palette. In my opinion, this definitely feels like a continuation of her first eyeshadow palette. Though it is, of course, a palette in its own right, it definitely feels like one that has been designed to complement its predecessor, with there being a handful of colours inside that from first glance, appear to pair well with colours from the first collaboration - such as more green's and purples to pair with the same types of tones in the first palette. There's also some colours that I personally had always wished were part of the original's, such as a rose gold, true yellow-y gold and a wider variety of matte browns. Colour-wise, it's also a lot brighter and bolder and more 'out there', in my opinion. Though the first palette was certainly not an entirely neutral palette by any means, it certainly featured more of those types of colours, with some pops of colour thrown in for good measure; whilst 'Extra Spice' feels like the complete opposite, which is awesome, in my opinion. There's also a lot of rich, warm tones included, hence the 'Extra Spice' name, I guess! All in all it's a pretty lovely-looking palette and one that even if I didn't already own (and love) the first, I would definitely be interested in picking up. Set-up wise, much like what's inside, this outer packaging has also been turned on its head. This time, the front of the palette is in the reflective rose gold, with any writing or detailing printed in the nude, along with the back of the palette and upon opening the palette up, you get the usual big, high-resolution mirror - however, one pretty obvious change is that there are one row less of shades this time. Instead of a plastic name sheet, the names are printed on the palette itself - taking the number down to 18 compared to the original's 24 - but personally I don't mind, as it simply comes with a plain plastic protective sheet this time, meaning you can choose to throw it away (or end up losing it anyway) and not worry about forgetting the shade names (which, again, have all been personally selected by Soph herself) - plus, you still get a pretty good amount of colours for your money. Like before, this palette is just £10 - yes, that's right - £10! Pretty awesome, if you ask me, especially if the quality is as brilliant as the original's. But, I guess that is exactly what this post is all about...

As always with makeup reviews, I have been using this palette a fair few times, using as many different colours of the different formula/finishes as possible in an attempt to get as clear and comprehensive view as I can and so far, I have to say - so good.  As I've already mentioned, I love the whole set up of this palette, I love the concept and I love the shades instead and having now actually given it a go - I love the quality of it too. Every shade I have used so far has been so super rich and intensely-pigmented and blends like a dream too. With 12 mattes and 6 shimmers, there's a good ratio between the two finishes and combined with the colour selection, I feel this allows you to really create a wide variety of different eye looks, without needing to dip into another palette at all - unless you fancy pairing up with her original palette, that is! I have noticed that, for some reason, the shadows in this palette are a little more dusty and create more kick-back in the pan when dipping you brush in, compared to the ones in Soph's first palette, but honestly, a lot of eye palettes I've used have the same 'issue' and as long as they don't create a lot of fall-out on the face when actually using them (which this one doesn't - yay!) and the shadows are of good quality (which, again, the ones in here definitely are - yay!), it's not a major concern. As long as you know and always knock off you brush before applying (which, to be honest, is a general 'rule' when doing your eyeshadow anyway), you're fine! When actually applying the shadows, they go on really creamy and easily and the shimmers are so metallic and almost foiled-like, even without using a finger or wetting your brush beforehand - however, one of those methods definitely makes things even more intense! As I said before, the shade selection in here is just lovely - such a great mix of different colours and certainly all shades that are up my street. I made it a mission to try out as many of them, in as many different combinations as possible before dong this review and I can't wait to play around with it even more...

Moving onto the Lipsticks -  these retail at just £4 each (yes, that's right, £4!) and come in three different shades, all of varying nude tones. Soph loves her nude lipsticks, so I think it's no surprise that is the theme of this range, but I love a good nude lippie too so I'm certainly not complaining. I actually decided to just pick up two of the shades as the other, a more deep, chocolate brown, isn't so much my type of 'nude', especially considering they are all of a creamy, satin formula. The two I did choose though, are certainly up my street and I couldn't wait to try them out on my lips basically as soon as they first arrived. Introducing - 'Syrup', a light, browney-nude; and 'Cake', a more pink-toned, mauve nude. Both the sort of colours I tend to reach for when going nude on my lips and considering Soph is fair in skin-tone like myself, I was pretty confident that the lighter shades of the collection (also her faves) would be pretty sure to be a good match for me too. And you know what? They most definitely are! Both are such gorgeous nude shades for me and combined with the super-creamy, sheen-ey, yet also very pigmented formula - they're both very much winners for me. They feel really comfortable on the lips, make the lips look all plump and juicy and yet don't at all slip and slide around on the lips. Also, while they do wear down throughout the day, much like most creamy, satin finishes, they aren't the worst offenders and almost leave behind a stain on the lips when the glossy-ness does disappear, which is pretty awesome.

So, all in all, I think we can all conclude by now that I am in love with this second collection with Soph. Just like before, this is such a great range - both quality and price-wise. The eyeshadow palette is very much on par with the first, perhaps even better both texture and colour-wise - and knowing how much I adore the original, that really is saying something - whilst the lipsticks are all gorgeous, super-wearable colours and with such a gorgeous formulation to boot. You really cannot go wrong and if you're yet to give anything from this newest drop a go - I highly suggest you do, asap...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS