navigation

Friday 20 March 2015

The Spring Transition

 
Today, with it being the latter half of March (already?!) I thought I'd start up another new series round these parts where I focus on how you can transition your beauty routine for the upcoming months. I won't be taking you through my entire makeup routine, but rather just focusing on small ways you can tweak your current makeup menu to make it more appropriate for the changing climate. As you've probably already guessed this one's all about Spring and so of course you can expect some (slightly) lighter bases, pretty pink cheeks and sheeny-shiny lips to name but a few. Ready? Let's do this...

ALL ABOUT THAT (LIGHTER) BASE - Whilst over Autumn and Winter we traditionally gravitate towards the higher coverage of our foundation stash, as the weather starts to (hopefully) warm up it's natural to want to strip back your base a little so things are a tad more breathable. In my opinion, in Spring the weather's still not too Sweaty-Betty-esque so if you'd prefer you can simply strip back your foundation to a lighter coverage without needing to go into tinted moisturiser territory just yet. Aim for something lightweight for your entire face, then go in a little heavier with concealer on areas where you actually need the coverage.

CHAMPAGNE EYES - In the Spring I always like to step away from the darker tones that have been gracing my lids over the cooler Autumn/Winter months and instead go for more icy shades that just instantly make me look more awake, young and fresh. Now, of course I am by no means suggesting pure white eyeshadow here (I doubt that'd ever be a good look on anyone), but instead proposing champagne-like colours with that gold undertone to them so we don't look like we've time-travelled back to the 90's. The best part about these? They're one shade wonders of course - one swipe of these across your entire lid paired with lashings of mascara and you're done.

BLUSH, BLUSH, BLUSH - As we head towards Spring I like to really up my blush game. I still bronze and contour, don't get me wrong, but I always seem to make time for the blush when I know warmer weather I round the corner and my fair complexion seems to favour it a little more (anyone else fair-skinned who applies blush in the winter on their even-more-so pale face to find they resemble Aunt Sally?). I find as we're not yet in the depths of a heat wave to still keep it fairly light in the colour department, reserving the brighter pinks and corals for later on and instead opting for soft shades that are still noticeable, but a nice subtle transition from wearing none at all. Depending on your preferences either cream or powder will do - with cream adding even more glow to your look and also handily doubling up as a lip tint if you wish, while powder perhaps slightly less glow-giving but a tad more long-lasting.

GET YOUR GLOSS ON - Again, whilst in the past few months I've been loving me some bold matte lips, when the weather starts to turn I like to head back to my balm/gloss drawer and dig deep. I find a good gloss adds shine and a hint of tint and others such as tinted lipbalms also bring it in the hydration department.

PICK YOUR PASTELS - Another trend that always seems to make a reappearance on the shelves is the pastel nail. Pastels colours are always big around this time of year, with some brands even extending them to their eye colours - not my personal thing - it's nails that I'm all about. I personally don't like my pastels to be too washed out, instead preferring the colour to sit a little further up the pigment scale just so things don't risk looking a little anaemic on my already-pale hands. I posted this Polish Pick post not that long ago featuring a newbie from Barry M's extensive range that I have been loving as it fills my picky pastel quota perfectly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS