navigation

Monday 7 September 2015

New In At The Drugstore - Autumn Edition


It's been a while since I last perused the aisles of my favourite two UK drugstores, picking up items as I go and hurling them in my basket. Oh wait - we all know that isn't true, don't we? Anyway, regardless of the frequency of my visits (and my obvious denial of the fact I might have just a slight issue with the whole thing) - here we are again, with me ready and raring to go and unload the contents of my latest shopping trip to you lovely lot. This time round, previous to this trip I'd seen/heard of a few new releases that I'd mentally bookmarked myself to have a gander at, so of course what better time than to make another 'New In At The Drugstore'-type post? I figured as we're now in September (how?) that this can be my 'Autumn' Edition, which kinda makes me see this as being some kind of last farewell to the Summer for another year and that makes me sad - but I'll try and carry on regardless. If you're unsure of what this kind of post entails - I'll point you in the direction of this playlist to help familiarise yourself with it all - but for al you regular readers, I'm sure you know the deal by now. Let's do this...

First off I went to my ultimate Mothership - Boots - to pick up the bulk of my shopping list (yeah, I did actually go prepared this time). The first of these was of course the new Fleur De Force Eyelash Range for Eylure (Ranging from £5.25 to £6.95). Oh. My. When these were first announced early last month I was more than a little excited - as were many others. Not that I'm much of a lash girl (just yet - I'm getting there), after a few encounters with Tanya Burr's range which have all so far proved to have successful results - I figured it may just be a good idea to dip that toe into the beauty pool even further and test out Fleur's offerings on the subject. This was especially highlighted when I saw the lashes themselves. All very natural-looking (even the most 'dramatic' ones still look very wearable) and packed with a tonne of fresh technology to make them as easy to apply and wear as possible, I was sold and picked up two packs out of the four available - yes, two! I went for the 'Simply Fleur' (£5.95) - the most lightweight and natural out the lot, these seem totally up my Lash-Newbie street - and 'Fleur Loves' (£5.25) - a 3/4 lash with a unique crossed over style, giving them a gorgeous 'worn-in' look and again theoretically helping them to blend with your natural flutter as much as possible. Along with Tanya, Fleur was one of the first 'YouTubers' I started watching back in the day, and I remember falling in love with her relateability, down-to-Earth nature and general 'coolness' - all things I still enjoy about her and her content to this day. It's so nice to see someone so lovely and genuine achieve such great things and I feel very happy for her indeed and cannot wait to give these lashes a go! Watch this space...

I then went over to the Collection counter as I'd heard on the beauty grapevine how they were due to release their very own contour kit, and so naturally I was eager to give it a go. I love Collection as a brand and I love anything contour-related - so surely it's a good match? Like I said, it'd been on my radar for a while as something I wanted to pick up when it was finally launched, and then I suddenly came across it in a Superdrug store sometime last week and let's just say - the excitement was real. Unfortunately they only had the tester left, so I had to reluctantly leave empty-handed and instead hoped it would've made its way to Boots by the time I was due to do this haul. Luckily it had and so of course I picked one up. It is the Highlight and Sculpt Contour Kit (£4.19) and to me, this looks a lot like the Sleek one but obviously at a slightly cheaper price tag (even though Sleek itself is still incredibly affordable). Collection claim this to be 'the perfect kit for creating a perfect sculpted look - highlight, contour and define your face in minutes'. I have personally not tried Sleek's myself, but I've hard good things nonetheless so if this one is anything like it, I'm sure we're onto a good'un.

Then I picked up a few new bits from Maybelline. I was on the lookout for any 'New'-marked items and spotted something I'd never seen before - the 'Dr Rescue Quick Dry Drops' (£2.99). Maybelline state these as being able to 'dry nail polish in seconds! Perfect when you’re on the go – simply apply a drop to each nail after using nail polish'. I seem to recall having eyed-up a few other products of this type before from other, more expensive brands - so it's nice to see one on the more affordable end of the spectrum catching on. As the name would correctly imply, these are designed to be used at the end of the nail-painting process in order to *hopefully* make the polish dry and harden-down instantly, without needing to wait ages for everything to set and thus end up smudgy-smudgying and making a right big mess. Having always struggled with this, and been on the search for the perfect product to tend to my needs for what feels like a lifetime - I'm hopeful about this and really want to like it. I'll see how I goes, and I'll report back. Finally, I saw Maybelline had a '3 for 2' offer running so naturally, I wanted to complete the deal and get my rightful freebie. I was stuck for what to buy (yeah, really) before finally having that 'lightbulb' moment. I've been eager to try out the highly-recommended Maybelline Super Stay Forever Strong Nail Polishes (£4.49 each) basically ever since Amelia Liana first started raving about them, so the time finally came for me to get in on the love-in and I picked up the shades 'Divine Wine', a gorgeous deep burgundy, and 'Surreal', a beautiful mid-toned pastel blue with the slightest hint of purple. Maybelline describe these as 'achieves rich colour and high shine and lasts up for up to 7 days with a curved brush for precision application'. Lovely, lovely shades and I've heard darn good things about the formula so I'm excited to give these a go - and once again - I'll report back if I need to...

Next up is Superdrug and I firstly went to them for a new foundation I originally wanted to buy from Boots but couldn't find the particular shade I was after anywhere in the whole store - boo! The Rimmel Match Perfection Foundation (£7.99) was in fact the first one I ever used on myself back a few years ago when I started to 'properly' get into makeup, and so when I eyed a new campaign for it on the TV and noticed they'd repackaged it, I decided to go back to it and give it another go. Rimmel state this as a foundation that's 'invisible and mistake-proof for visibly perfected & healthier looking skin with a weightless, smooth texture that blends with skins real tone instead of masking it'. I recall really liking this stuff (from what I remember it gives good coverage with a lovely glowy finish), but always had a little trouble finding the right shade. I guess it all relates to experience, as this time I managed to find the right one straight away (I think knowing and loving the Lasting Finish Nude helped too!) so I'm very excited to pick this beauty back up again. What is it with me and Rimmel foundations, eh...

Finally, again something I wanted to try but couldn't yet find in the aisles of Boots so had to instead retreat to Superdrug for, was the new Autumn-inspired shades of the Barry M Speedy Quick Dry Nail Paints (£3.39). As always, Barry M state these as polishes that 'dry at lightening speed for a perfect mani in seconds. With an innovative new flat brush for an even easier application and a more precise finish in just two coats!' From what I can gather, Barry M have added a total of four colours to the range - from a bright red (what I opted for) through to a couple of berry colours and even a grey (say whut?). Like I said, I plumped for the former as I felt the two berry-toned shades, whilst gorgeous, I kinda already had stashed away in my collection in some form or another, and the grey just isn't really my thing. But the red - oh my. I actually don't own that many reds in my stash like this. A true red with no undertones of any description - this is just straight-up rouge. No pinky, orangey, or berry undertones to be seen here. It's slightly brighter than the types of shades you'd perhaps expect from a nail launch targeted at this cooler time of year, but I'm liking it and if the formula is anything like the ones I've tried previously from the Speedy range (which naturally, you'd think it would be) - then this could just about become one of my new Polish Picks for this season.

And that just about wraps up my (not very short) summary of the latest drops to the drugstore beauty-wise! Seen anything you like the look of?

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS