navigation

Friday 30 October 2015

October: Loves and Lusts


It's the end of another month (already?) - so you all know what's coming next... It's 'Loves and Lusts' time again! If you're new round these parts of the Interwebz then I'll link up my other seven posts of this style I've done so far here so you can get a feel for how things work. If you're more of a regular reader though, I'm sure you know the deal by now, eh? Let's get started...


What I've Loved:

Zoella Beauty New Collection ('Wonder Hand' Moisturising Hand Cream and Blissful Mistful Solid Fragrance) - You'll know by now if you're a reader of this 'ere blog that I'm quite the fan of the #ZoellaBeauty collection. While at first I was hasty to invest, thinking it was purely 'merchandise' of the cheaper variety aimed at her younger fans, in fact some of the items are darn good and these two that are amongst some more to be added to the original 'Classic' line are no exception - as featured here. I've always thought a hand cream was missing from the first collection, so when I saw this 'Wonder Hand' I was very happy indeed and it did not disappoint. Very thick and hydrating - so much so it does take a while longer to sink in - yet it does make it perfect for using before bed. The 'Blissful Mistful' Solid Fragrance is also a winner - I've never personally tried the original mist version, yet I have heard good things and being a lover of the scent of this range in general, decided to give it a go and I really like it. I love the concept and how quick and easy this is to apply, especially on-the-go. The scent, as expected is also all kinds of delicious. Mmmhmm.

Collection Illuminating Touch Foundation, Concealer and Speedy Highlighter - Moving onto the wonderful world of makeup and this new range for Collection has to be one of my top picks for this entire month. I was actually lucky enough to win this whole range as part of one of Superdrug's competitions on Instagram so ever since receiving them I've been giving them a trial-out and I'm really, really impressed. I was looking at investing in these anyway not long back, so to receive them for free was a big bonus! You may recognise the concealer as it's been around for yonks, so it made perfect sense for the brand to at some point come out with some products to accompany it and at last, they have. The concealer I am really liking - I actually received all three shades, but find myself to match up the best to the lightest offering, 'Naked 1'. Really brightening, I prefer using this strictly under my eyes only as I find that's where I really want illumination and the finish is also very light in texture too, so perfect for going underneath those peepers. Just like the cover-up, the new Illuminating Touch Foundation is designed to give a radiant, glowy look to the skin - ideal for this time of year when everything can begin to look rather dull and dreary. It gives a decent coverage but without being heavy on the skin and amps things up in the radiance department but still with a skin-like finish and it stays put throughout the day. Finishing the trio off, the Speedy Highlighter is also a winner for me. I didn't think I could love any highlighter again after trying theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer but this does a pretty good job of testing that statement. Infact, to me it's almost like its creamier cousin. Super easy to apply and blend - unlike some other cream products I've tried before in stick-form - and the colour is a really stunning light champagne that's so flattering and actually quite natural on the skin. LOVE.

Rimmel Super Curler 24Hr Mascara - More on the cosmetics front and I have a new lash-related love for this past month. Having fell head over heels for two offerings on the rather pricey side of things as of late, I thought it was time to bring things back to a more affordable end of the spectrum and finally get round to trying a Rimmel mascara. I've heard mixed views so wanted to give their latest release - the 'Super Curler 24Hr' - a go, and all in all I'm impressed. Yes, it may well not fully live up to the high bar set by my beloved 'Better Than Sex' and 'Roller Lash', but it's still a good mascara in its own right and does a nice job of doing what it says on the tin - giving my lashes a curled, fluttery look with a nice amount of length and separation. It also works very well layered on top of other mascaras to give them extra 'oomph' as the packaging suggests - so all in all, this gets the thumbs up from me. Check out my 'NIATD' post linked above for a more in-depth look!

Rimmel The Only 1 Lipsticks in '300 Listen Up!' and '800 Under My Spell' - More from Rimmel and this time let's talk lips, eh? Another new launch from them this month, these lippies claim to do it all - colour, comfort, hydration and wear-time - so it was only natural that I pondered into my local Mothership a.k.a. Boots and picked a couple up - as I also mentioned in my 'NIATD' post. Those shades in question being a bright raspberry red and a deep, vampy purple (totally out of my comfort zone, but hey - wanted to try something a lil' different) and after giving them both a testing and trialling out, I have to say that I'm feeling them. Yes, they may not be the matte-est of formulations (I do tend to prefer bold lips that way), but the finish isn't completely glossy and they are darn comfortable and they stick around. I applied one of them and then ate a full meal and it didn't look too horrendous and that's always a sign of a good lipstick.

#FleurDeForceBeauty - Another new launch on the Blogger/YouTuber front as of late that I've really been enjoying is Fleur from FleurDeForce's first ever makeup collection on Feel Unique. I love Fleur, I really loved some of her lashes with Eylure that I tried last month and this new range is no exception to the rule. I picked up one of each item - a lipgloss in a gorgeous nude shade 'Written In The Stars' and the pinkier toned eyeshadow quad 'Lunar Rose' - and it's safe to say I am in love. The palette especially has been such a firm favourite of mine ever since I first laid my hands on it a few weeks back - it's pretty much all I've been wearing on my lids. The rose gold shade is just all kinds of stunning and paired with the deep aubergine-like colour through the outer corner and crease is a perfect girly look with a subtle nod to the typical Autumnal tones. The shades are so well pigmented, blend seamlessly and wear really well to. Love, love, LOVE. The lipgloss is also a lovely formulation, with it being more 'liquid lipstick'-like with it's viscosity and pigmentation but still not at all sticky or uncomfortable on the lips. This colour in particular is a perfect everyday colour for all skintones... and they smell delicious - is there anymore you could want?
  
Barry M Gelly Hi-Shine Nail Polish in 'Sparkling Amethyst' - Onto nails and is it any surprise that I have another Barry M-related fave this month? Along with many other Autumn/Winter releases - a few of which I've discussed in this post here - are a couple of limited edition shades to the 'Gelly' line-up that are exclusive to Superdrug. However, unlike their traditional counterparts, these come in a glittery finish - oh yeah. With one being more of a ruby red and the other more purple in tone, I opted for the latter as I just knew I already had a few shades like the former sitting n my collection. Sensible choices people. And isn't it just a beaut of a shade. A straight-up purple with flecks of blue running through it to just give the whole thing a lot more dimension and 'awe-worthy-ness' when it catches the light. As with all the Gelly's, the formula is spot-on - two coats is all you need and the finish is super-shiny and lasts a pretty darn good time too. Looking for an alternative to the typical tones of shimmers we tend to don around the festive period? Here's your guy...

Maybelline Super Stay 7 Day Nail Polishes in 'Deep Red' and 'Berry Stain' - And we have more nails polishes - I know, I know. But, seeing as this range from Maybelline has to be up there with one of my favourite, favourite finds of this whole year so far - it was only a matter of time before I expanded my shade selection, eh? With it being Autumn and that - as I keep saying - I just had to see what other seasonally-appropriate colours they had on offer at my local Boots and spotted these two beauties. 'Deep Red', probably the most uncreative name for a polish in history, is a - you guessed it - deep brick-like red, a really classic colour, perfect for the festive season. And then we have 'Berry Stain', again probably not the best name choice as to me this is more of a true purple than a berry tone, but hey ho. Both beautiful shades; both apply and look just as good as the other two I've tried and oh my goodness do they last. I honestly believe they live up to their '7 Day' claim, as these have to be some of the longest-wearing lacquers I've tried. So, darn, good.
PRO:VOKE Touch of Silver Brightening Shampoo - Onto hair-related loves of October and having hair that's now ombre and packed with a fair lot of blonde in it, I like to keep those tones in my hair as fresh and bright as possible and so for a while I've been using purple shampoo. After my Lee Stafford one gave up the ghost recently, I picked this up after hearing so many good things and for the fact it's much more on the cheaper side of things. All in all, I was not disappointed. This works much better than the LS offering, and gives far more instantly noticeable results. It's so pigmented, coming out the tube bright purple and applying to the hair and leaving a similar tone behind - something I really like as to me it shows it's doing something. After just one use of this stuff my hair was looking much more ashy and less brassy - it's a winner.

L'Oreal Studio Line Hot Straight Spray - Finally for the 'Loves' section and concluding on another hair-related note and aswell as the above, this product has too become a firm favourite of mine these past few weeks in my haircare routine. This is another item I've heard lots of things about before so when my usually heat protectant offering also went into my Empties bag (post coming soon!) I knew I had to give this a go, just to try something different out for a change. And I actually really like it - not only does it *hopefully* do a good job of shielding my tresses from all the heat I attack it with on a daily basis, as the name would correctly imply - it also leaves my hair feeling and looking so super sleek and shiny and easy to style. I have a feeling this may knock my Got2B one off its top spot...

What I'd Love To Have:

H&M Beauty - Let's not get into how much it'd all cost, eh? - H&M has always been a fave of mine when it comes to clothing - on the cheaper side of things but still very good quality items to be found. So when I started to hear things about them entirely relaunching their pitiful excuse of a makeup range which never really enticed my senses into a proper full-blown collection, I was intrigued. And rightly so, as having a gander online I was super shocked at just how much stuff there is - makeup, nails, haircare, bodycare - the lot. I've also been reading up and the general consensus seems to be fairly positive so far. I'm yet to make my way to have a look in-store just yet, but rest assured it won't be long before I do and some purchases will likely be made...

Collection Pro Palettes - Ranging from £4.99-£6.99 - I love Collection, and I'm not afraid to admit it. A brand on the cheap, cheap end of the budget spectrum that I've been a fan of for yonks and while a few years back they may have been looked upon as simply that - cheap makeup - in recent times they've really upped their game and are consistently coming out with more and more products that just look gorgeous and after trying some out - they are pretty darn good too. This range of palettes is the latest addition to their range and they are no exception to the rule. From a cheek smorgasbord to a concealer/corrector hybrid, an eye-related offering and a 'does it all'-type affair - I want them in my life

NYX and NARS - Again, let's not get into it... - Everyone's been talking about these two this month (well to be honest, I always hear about them on the beauty blogging grapevine), but this month they've especially attracted my attention, especially due to them officially landing on Feel Unique! Two well-loved brands made even more accessible - whether or not that's a good thing sure is debatable. Let's just say I've made a wishlist...

Hourglass Ambient Lighting Powders - £38.00 - Everyone goes on and on about these little beauties and I really want to see what all the fuss is about. Powders that supposedly perform the role of a traditional version by setting our makeup down, but without that matte, cakey finish and instead managing to look almost glowy? Sounds pretty good to me. They've also got a similar range of blushers and bronzers too that look equally swoon-worthy and also bring a similar effect. Yes, they're pricey - but one day, eh?

Soap and Glory One Heck Of A Blot Primer - £10.00 - I've heard many things about this these past few weeks, and while the foundation that's been released alongside it I haven't see such glowing reviews on, this primers has been getting far more of the 'rave' variety, so naturally I'm intrigued. At first I dismissed it as not being my cup of tea as typically I like to stick to hydrating products on my dry skin, but I have heard some say that in fact this doesn't make their skin that much more matte in texture as you would at first assume it would do so maybe I will have to give this a go sometime.

L'Oreal True Match Foundation *New Packaging/Formulation* - £9.99 - I like the original True Match quite a bit. Yes, it may not be my ultimate fave when it comes to base - I'll leave the Rimmel Lasting Finish Nude for that title at the moment - but it does do a pretty good job as long as I give it that little bit more TLC. And when I saw L'Oreal were re-releasing it with new, updated packaging recently I assumed that was the only change. Lily helpfully confirmed that not to be the case and in fact the formulation has been altered slightly too - with extra oils to improve the wear and comfort on the skin to be the most notable adaption. This made me listen up, as I personally found the main 'fault' with the original that made it that little more difficult to work with was that it was slightly drying on my already-quite-dry skin, so this sounds great news. I definitely will be picking up one of these updated bottles very soon to see if it makes any difference and perhaps pushes this foundation more into my 'daily grabs' selection - keep your eyes peeled.

Rimmel Match Perfection Concealer - £5.99 - Finally for makeup, this has been getting mentioned by one of my top YouTuber loves - Alix of 'ICovetThee' - many, many times recently, and after seeing and hearing her raving on about it time and time again, I feel it's about time I give this a go. Rimmel do tend to do great base products - I love the foundation of the same range and I also love another one of their concealers (I think it's the Lasting Finish one) so I've got high hopes that this will fall under the same 'Love' category.

BeautyBlender - £16.00 - Another item everyone always goes on about is this little thing (or some kind of cheaper alternative). I've already featured the Real Techniques version in a previous 'Loves and Lusts' post and while I'm yet to pick this up, lately I've been eying the original (and perhaps best?) one up more and more each time it's been featured on the blogs or YouTubes. Do I need one in my life? Will it actually perform any better than a less expensive version? All questions I need to know the answer to...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS