navigation

Thursday 10 December 2015

Five Festive Makeup Updates #DitsyDecember


It's during December that I particularly like to switch up my makeup bag a little once again. With not only the weather taking a turn for the colder, but also the prospect of Christmas being a firm thought in our minds - there are a few ways in which I like to change my overall beauty routine about to make it far more festive. Want to know just how? Get your pen and paper ready...

For base it's pretty much the same story as usual, aside from the fact I do like to make sure my makeup really lasts and so ensure I use as many priming-related products as I can to keep that party makeup where it should be. I love the Rimmel Lasting Finish Primer as a base as it really does do it all - smoothes out the skin, gives a little more hydration and radiance to the complexion and helps prolong makeup wear-time. I also have been using the new L'Oreal Infalliable Makeup Fixing Mist that I mentioned in my last 'New In At The Drugstore' post (here) and I have to say I love it. It's great as a last step in my makeup routine to again help my slap stick around that little bit longer and just unify everything I've applied. I also love to amp things up in the glow department and perhaps go a little heavier on the shimmer than usual. I personally love both the theBalm Mary-Lou Manizer Highlighter and the Collection Speedy Highlighter for adding that extra sparkle to all the high points of my face (and pretty much everywhere). theBalm's is a powder consistency, but very creamy at the same time and when applied is so finely-milled it just translates as a natural glow as opposed to chunky, noticeable glitter that others can offer. Collection's to me is like that but in proper cream form and housed in a stick format - it's super easy to quite literally swipe on, blend out with your fingers and go. I love a bit of highlighter all year round if I'm honest, but especially at Christmas time I really make sure it has a firm place in my makeup bag.

Eyes-wise, I like to stick to cream-based shadows during the festive season as they're easy to apply, can be used alone or as a base and stay on so well - so act as great primers too. You lot know how much I love the Maybelline EyeStudio Color Tattoo 24Hr Cream Gel Eyeshadows and they have some awesome shades on offer for this time of year. 'On and On Bronze' is a classic sparkly bronzey shimmer; 'Eternal Gold' a beautiful classic yellow gold that works brilliantly paired with a red lip; and if you fancy going more all-out with your eyes then 'Metallic Pomegranate' is a fab sparkly cranberry! They also have some great mattes that work especially well under other shadows - 'Creamy Beige' from their Leather Collection, a light matte brown; and also two of their 'Creamy Mattes' that also copped up in my last 'NIATD' - in 'Crème De Nude' (a yellow-based neutral) and 'Crème De Rose' (a more pinky-toned neutral). I also love to crack out a bit of proper glitter glitter this time of year and have finally caved into the hype and picked up one of the Collection Glam Crystal Dazzling Gel Liners that everyone and their Grandma seems to rave on and on about as soon as the festive season rolls round once more. After a good scour I went for 'Funk' - a beautiful pale champagne-y gold that I just thought screamed 'Christmas'. As these are a glitter suspended in a gel liner formula, they're perfect for us sparkle-phobes who like the thought of using the stuff, but not the prospect of it all falling off and down our entire faces. The gel just gives the glitter something to help adhere itself to the lid with and thus *fingers crossed* means no disco ball complexion! These can also be utilised in a whole variety of ways - whether simply as a liner as they are intended to be (on its own or layered on top of a standard black liquid) or - as I personally like to employ them - tapped onto the centre of the lid with my finger to give a subtle but still noticeable festive sheen to the eyes. Oh yeahhh.

Finally, onto the really fun part - lips. Now this is where I personally like to really let my hair down makeup-wise and go a bit colour crazy - is there such a thing? Of course, this time of year everyone (including myself) opts for the typically cliché but nevertheless classic red lip and I am more than OK with that. I did a post last week on just how I personally like to rock a pout of the rogue variety - if you'd like a gander at that I'll link it here - so for now I thought I'd list off just a few of my faves when it comes to this particular shade department. The Maybelline Colour Drama Velvet Lip Pencils in 'Light It Up' and 'Red Essential' provide either a brighter or more burgundy-toned rouge, while the Rimmel Kate Moss Matte Lipstick in '110' sits somewhere in the middle of the two and is just the perfect true red. All beautiful colours, all matte textures - so super long-lasting on the lips, but all still manage to be very comfortable at the same time. Winner.

How do you like to refresh your own makeup bag for this festive season?

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS