navigation

Wednesday 10 February 2016

New In At The Drugstore - Spring Edition

 
Last week sometime I had yet anther peruse round the aisles of Boots and Superdrug. What's new? Well, actually along the way I found that it seemed all the big brands were launching new bits 'n' bobs, as the first flurry of additions to the market for 2016. There were so many products to choose from that appeared to be just out, though after some deliberation I managed to narrow it down to the items I really, really wanted to give a go. Ready for another 'New In At The Drugstore' where I show them to you lovely lot, giving you the deets as we go? Let's do this...

First off, let's start with the mighty Maybelline. Now, if we're playing a numbers game here, then out of all the brands that I found were launching new pieces to their collection, Maybelline have to be up there with the one that's putting the most out right now. There's a brow pomade crayon, a setting spray and a new lip balm/cream blush hybrid - but it's the other stuff that I'm showing you today that caught my attention the most. Kicking things off with all things eyes, and the one release from the brand that's really got people talking as of late is of course the new Volum' Express Falsies Push Up Drama Mascara (£7.99 but currently on offer for £5.99). This claims to 'instantly plump and volumise the look of lashes, with styling wax to keep them lifted and intense black colour for a dramatic, sultry look'. As is well-publicised round these parts, myself and Maybelline's lash offerings just seem to get on. The original 'Falsies' formula especially was I think the first real lash love I found back in the day, so obviously when I found out they were extending the sub-range and adding this 'Push Up Drama' version to the collection, I was always gonna want to give it a go. So, where would I say makes this stand-out from the original? Honestly, the main difference I can spot first-off is the fact that the brush is not comprised of bristles like the standard 'Falsies' and instead has a plastic set-up akin to the skin that the 'Lash Sensational' has - but seeing as both those mascaras I really rather like, I'm not too worried about that. I've also heard reviews saying that the formula of the mascara itself is very wet, and I always used to find the original to be much more of a 'dry' mascara personally. Where I am wary, is in the fact that this possesses more of a straight wand as opposed to the traditional curved brushes that are kind of a staple in Maybelline mascaras - and that I think really help to make the difference on my lashes. But who knows - maybe this really will continue the run of good luck I've had with all things lashes from Maybelline so far. There's only one way to find out. Next up is a new range of eye pencils - the Master Drama Nudes Eye Pencils (£4.99 each), to be precise. These claim to give a 'bold chromatic colour that lasts up to 16 hours, intense colour payoff that truly brings attention to your eyes for bold definition. No smudge, transfer, fade or budge and stays true all day'. As far as I can see there's three in the range - a pale rosey pink, a light taupe and a more copper-tinged brown - and of course, I went for the latter (called 'Brownie Glitz') - #Copper4Eva. All have a shimmery formula and a creamy texture that to me, makes them very similar to the Rimmel Scandaleyes Kohl Kajals I used to rave on about a while back (until they discontinued most some of the shades, that is). Very soft, making application easy-peasy and allowing you to both draw a more defined line or smudge it out a little if you fancy; yet sets down after a few seconds to a finish that stays put all-day-long. Finally, and moving onto something more nail-related - I spotted a new collection of shades that have been added to one of their pre-existing formulas and they are the Color Show Nail Polishes - 'Blushed Nudes' (£3.99 each). As always with this nail polish range, these claim to 'combine bold, crisp colour with catwalk-inspired shades and fast application brush and quick dry formula', with this 'Blushed Nudes' collection described as a 'sophisticated blushed nude nail colour enriched with rose gold pigments for a blushing glow'. As you may know, I already have a fai few of the Maybelline Color Show polishes in my nail polish arena and love them all for their great formula and lasting power so I'm hoping this range will be no different. Out of the five available (four standard crème and one glitter), I chose 'Crimson Flush' - a pinky-purple hybrid with a slight grey tinge - that is surprisingly unique to my collection, despite my love for rosey-toned polishes. I know, I know. I should imagine if it's love at first sight, you may well be seeing this little beauty crop up in a 'Polish Pick' post sometime soon...

Moving swiftly onto another brand and next up is Collection. This brand has been just 'on it' as of late as far as I'm concerned - with new releases popping up here, there and everywhere - and with pretty much every one being just as good, if not better tan the one before it. Ticking off another makeup range 'staple' that every brand seems to be doing their own take on nowadays are primers and Collection have come up with their 'Primed and Ready' Primers. In the range of four we have two face primers - two illuminating and one mattifying - and one eye primer. I personally prefer all things glowy in the base department, so plumped for the illuminating editions. They are the Reviving and Anti-Fatigue Illuminating Primers (£4.99 - currently on offer at £3.99) and they claim to be a 'sheer, crème-liquid that perfects and primes skin before make-up application with ultra-fine light-reflecting pearls for a soft, natural glow', while also promising to 'prolong make-up wear to minimise touch-ups throughout the day/night'. They come in two shades - one more pinky-toned ('Cool Rose') and the other with a slight orangey-tint ('Warm Apricot') - with the former targeted for those with cool skin tones and the later aimed for those with a warmer complexion. I picked up both (despite probably being best suited to 'Cool Rose') as I wanted to give both a try and am very much looking forward to doing so. I then also picked up their new eye primer as there really seems to be a big gap in the market in terms of primers for the peepers in the drugstore and I'd love to find one that's a little bit cheaper to replace my Urban Decay one. This is the Illuminating and Reviving Eye Primer (£4.99 - currently on offer for £3.99) and it is said to be a 'lightweight, easy to blend and invisible-drying primer that prepares the eyelid before makeup application, providing the perfect, even base before eyeshadow application, prolonging the wear of cream and powder eyeshadow, preventing eyeshadow creasing and intensifying the colour pigment of the eyeshadow'. As well as its priming properties, this primer also claims to be 'able to be used under the eye to refresh and revive the delicate eyelid for a more 'awake' look'. That sure is a hell of a lot of claims right there. In all honesty, if this primer can simply aid eyeshadow application and keep the stuff there all day long with no creasing, fall-down or fading (and all for under a fiver!) - that will do for me, so I will have to give it a go and see how it fares.
 
Finally, we have some new bits 'n' pieces from Barry M and of course, they are nail-related newbies. They have firstly launched their very own Nail Care Range - a collection of polishes to give those talon a bit of well-needed TLC. This is comprised of three different products (one of which comes in two varying shades). They all retail at £3.99 each, and in the collection there's the 'Super Mani' (a basecoat and treatment hybrid polish which claims to 'offer 7 benefits in a bottle in hydrate and protect enamel for healthy, nourished nails'), 'Iron Mani' (a nail hardener which 'works to strengthen, smooth and protect nails from damage') and 'Mani Mask' (which is 'formulated to camouflage, colour and condition with a semi-matte finish that care for your nails while helping them look great too!' and comes in two hues - 'Birthday Suit', a traditional nude shade and 'Bashful' which is more of a light baby pink and the shade I plumped for). Being a big lover of lacquering up my nails, I know how important it is to look after them too to ensue they stay as healthy as possible and on the surface, this range seems to offer something for everyone. I will report back on my thoughts when I've given them all a testing! And last but certainly by no means least are some new shades joining their nail polish collections. As always, a change in season means new hues for Barry M's well-established sub-ranges and this one is no different. So far, there's been some Spring-appropriate additions added to both their 'Gelly' and 'Speedy' ranges and I've picked out a shade from each to show 'n tell to you lovely lot. For the 'Gelly' range I plumped for the hue 'Acai Smoothie' which is a gorgeous mid-toned dusky purple, and I from the newest drop to the 'Speedy' collection I opted for the shade 'Freestyle', a pretty baby pink that's not too light and washed-out - just how I like my pastel nail colours to be. It also has that same dusky, slightly grey tinge to it - do I sense a theme here?

So that just about wraps up my latest summary of what's 'New In At The Drugstore'! Anything there that's caught your fancy? Or maybe there's something else you've spotted that's new-in that I just have to try? Come on - enable me people...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS