navigation

Friday 25 March 2016

The Spring Transition


My season transition posts are back for another year, though with a bit of a twist. I wanted to revamp the format a little to freshen things up a tad and ensure we won't be simply covering old ground with 2016's editions - I'm sure you all won't mind! If you're unfamiliar with the concept of these kinds of posts at all - I'll link last year's round-ups here - but in summary, I'm basically going to be talking you through some adaptations I like to make to my makeup bag once a new season rolls around. The difference in this year's being that this time I wanted to make it more product-based, as opposed to 2015's versions where things were a little more general as to the changes I'd be making. Obviously, today I'll be covering all things Spring-related, seeing as we're on the cusps of it right now (I say that, but currently it's raining cats and dogs outside my window). But anyway, let's get into it...

My base of choice as we head into Spring is of course the Collection Illuminating Touch Foundation. If you're a regular reader round these parts you'll know that I've been loving this base for a while now, but I feel it's properly going to come into its own as the weather begins to get warmer (or at least in theory it should). The texture's very comfortable on the skin and the coverage is fairly light, but still enough to even everything out and give a radiant finish - ideal for Spring. I love bopping this on at the moment with the latest addition to my makeup tools family - the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge. Used wet, this amps up the glow even more and ensures a finish that's even more natural-looking and thoroughly blended.

For eyes, I like to begin to transition my makeup around this area to something a little lighter and brighter after all the deeper tones (and the urge to wear all the makeup) that Autumn and Winter typically lend their hand to. I personally really like the Rimmel Scandaleyes Shadow Stick by Kate in 'Rose Gold'. This sits nicely alongside some of the same rusty hues we've been used to lacquering onto our lids over the past few months, but is ideal for transitioning into the new season. It's got that pinky undertone (as the name would suggest) that's perfect for Spring and the colour can be applied quite sheer for a subtle wash of colour that would look gorgeous paired with lashings of mascara. I also really like the Maybelline Color Tattoo 24 Hr Cream Gel Eyeshadow in 'Pink Gold'. This again has similar pink tones running through it, though is more of a neutral, champagne hue which would look equally stunning worn alone or used as a base for other rosey shadows to sit on top of. A perhaps more versatile option that's a little easier to pull off without even thinking about it. I plumped for two cream shadows here as typically as we approach the warmer time of year, I tend to get more use out of those types of formulas as they're super quick and easy to slap on your lids and have great lasting power too. No primer necessary (unless you have oily lids like myself, in which case a primer is always a staple in your makeup bag).

When it comes to lips, I love incorporating pinky tones (again, I know). It's a super clichĂ© makeup trend, but there's just something about Spring that makes me gravitate towards all my rosey hued makeup items and want to slap them all on my face - maybe not all at once, though. I particularly love the L'Oreal Exclusive Pinks Collection Colour Riche Lipstick in 'Blake's Delicate Rose'. This is a proper bright, highlighter-esque pink. It's neon and very 'in yer face', yet once applied to the lips can actually be rather wearable. You can sheer it out to a more subtle pink flush or really build it up to the intensity shown in the bullet and either way it's a beaut. The fomaula's creamy and while not the most long-lasting, wears nicely and can be reapplied with no fuss at all.

Finally, for nails it's all about two things - pastels and brights. The former especially I tend to plump for on a regular basis once Spring begins to roll around, while the latter I like to start to incorporate more in preparation for Summer when they really come out in full force on my nail beds. If you've read here before you may well know that I'm pretty picky with my pastel hues. Don't get me wrong - I love them - but only when they're just right. There's your shades that sits very much on the extreme side of pastel and at first glance appear to have no pigment to them at all, but personally I like them to have a tad more colour. Just enough so they still classify as a 'pastel', but don't look like I'm simply smothered Tipp-Ex on all ten digits. One shade that ticks that box for me is Barry M's Hi-Shine Gelly Effect Polish in 'Acai Smoothie' (as shown in one of my previous Polish Pick posts here). Ok, it's not the most pastel, pastel out there; but it's light enough for me. This dusky pinky-purple looks gorgeous on the nails and is actually a rather chic take on pastel hues I think. It's got a slightly grey undertone that makes it a little more understated and it's different to anything else I've seen before or currently have in my collection. Shocker.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS