navigation

Friday 29 April 2016

April: Loves and Lusts


It's time for the fourth round of this year's 'Loves and Lusts'! If you're a regular round these parts I'm sure this series needs no introduction, but if you are a newbie to this whole shebang, I'll link up all my previous posts I've done of this kind here for you to have a look at and get the general gist of how things work. Now, without further ado - let's get straight into what I've been loving and lusting after throughout April...

What I've Loved:

Barry M Speedy Quick Dry Nail Paint in 'Freestyle' - Starting off with all things nails - this polish has been a firm fave of mine this past month. I actually hauled it back in February (as part of this post), but it's only in the past few weeks that I've got round to trying it out and I'm really rather liking it. It's a gorgeous pastel pink that luckily fits my 'not too pastel' nail polish quota and is ideal for Spring and it has a lovely dusky, grey undertone to it that makes it incredibly wearable and chic. The formula of these polishes are also amazing; they apply evenly in two coats and dry (as the name would suggest) in no time at all. Love, love, LOVE.

L'Oreal Color Riche A L'Huile Nail Polish in 'Cherie Macaron' - The second nail polish I've been lovin' lacquering up with this month has been a shade from L'Oreal's newest drop. I showed it here as part of my last 'New In At The Drugstore' post and here in my most recent 'Polish Pick' - FYI. I can't remember whether this is an entirely new line or simply a reformulation - but either way, they are awesome. I may have only sampled this shade so far, but let's just say I'm gonna be heading back for more very soon. At the moment though, only this coral-tinged pink resides in my collection and I have fallen head over heels for it. There's a  bit of orange in there, a bit of red too, and all together it just makes for a stunning shade on the nails. The formula is thick without being gloopy and in two coats disperses a lovely gel-like finish on the nails which really does stand the test of time. I can see this being one of my staple Summer shades over the next few months, but for now I've been enjoying slapping it on my beds in the desperate hope of it making my hands look a tad more sunkissed. I can dream, eh?

Rimmel Match Perfection Concealer in '010 Ivory' - Moving swiftly onto the matter of makeup - I have a new favourite concealer! This is a big deal for someone like me who only really uses Collection's Lasting Perfection on a regular basis, but this month I've been switching it up and really liking the result. It's very similar in consistency to the Collection one, in that it's creamy and has medium-high coverage; but I actually find Rimmel's to be a tad more hydrating in finish and a little quicker to blend out. Stop the press! The brush-on applicator is actually a lot easier to get along with than some I've tried before (think that may be down to the squeezey set-up) and I've been enjoying it especially for my under-eye area. As I said in this post, I wouldn't necessarily say it's overtaken my beloved Lasting Perfection just yet, but it comes pretty darn close...

Rimmel Brow This Way Brow Highlighter -  Second inclusion from Rimmel (don't worry, only one more after this) comes in the form of a brow highlighter crayon and is in fact a newbie to their range (as I also showed in my last 'NIATD' post too and again in my 'First Impressions' post linked above). I've actually wanted to try a product of this style for some time now but have never made the plunge - until now - and I'm very glad I did. I'm always up for items that can make my brows a little more #OnFleek and this is exactly what this seems to do. The texture of the pencil itself is thankfully very creamy and easy to swipe on, yet still has enough firmness in it to ensure a controlled application and decent longevity. The champagne gold shade is spot-on for my paler skintone and while it does have a shimmery sheen to it - that's all it is. There's no large glitter flecks to be seen, making the whole effect it gives noticeable, but natural at the same time. For special occasions, or for when I want/have the time to make my brows a little more 'wow' - this is definitely something I'd reach for.

L'Oreal Telescopic Mascara - Onto the actual eye area and this has probably been my most favourite favourite of the whole darn month. Seriously - it's that good. I  desperately needed a new mascara and after hearing Alix of I Covet Thee ramble on about this one far too many times, I took the plunge and oh man, am I glad about it. This most certainly ranks as one of the best mascaras I've ever tried. It makes my lashes look the longest I think they have ever looked, adds a tonne of volume, curls and lifts and thickens whilst also separating at the same time - the whole shebang. It lasts all day on me without crumbling, flaking or smudging and is just generally all kinds of amazing. I could go on more, but I'm gonna restrain myself and stop now. Just, if you haven't tried this - buy it.

Bourjois Rouge Edition Soufflé de Velvet in 'Fuschiamallow' - For the 'ole pout I've been really enjoying using this during the past month. This is the latest addition to the 'Rouge Edition' liquid lipstick range by Bourjois - this time promising a sheer wash of colour with a matte (but also hydrating) finish. I've given the shade I plumped for - a beautiful bright pink - a thorough road-testing, and all in all; I'd agree. The pigmentation is more on the sheer side than the classic Rouge Edition Velvets, but they still pack a punch colour-wise and are ideal for times when you simply want a hint of tint as opposed to something more opaque. Hello, Spring/Summer! The finish is just as matte, but maybe a tad more moisturising - something that definitely gets the thumbs up from me - and while they perhaps aren't as long-lasting, they wear down evenly to a stain (no unsightly line to be seen here) and can be easily layered and re-applied throughout the day.

Rimmel Sculpting Palette by Kate in 'Coral Glow' - The third and final mention to Rimmel in this post - they have finally released a contouring palette! It seems like Rimmel are the last brand to hop on the whole contouring bandwagon, but I think it may have actually worked in their favour as I think this is one of the best contouring products I've found in the drugstore. The highlighter has a gorgeous champagne tone (similar to the brow highlighter mentioned earlier) that I can imagine flattering a whole range of skintones; the coral blush really perks up the cheeks and has a lovely sheen running through it and the contour shade isn't too warm, nor too ashy and is a strict no-shimmer zone. All the powders have great pigmentation, blend really easily and last well and the packaging's really compact and travel-friendly. What's not to love?

Real Techniques Duo Fibre Contour Brush - To go alongside the above, I have really been enjoying this brush from my good 'ole Real Techniques. Will there ever be a brush they make that I don't love? This one's certainly no exception to the rule, as it's probably the best contour brush I've found. It's the perfect size and shape to really fit in the hollows of my cheekbones and the duo fibre set-up means it picks up less product, ensuring a lighter application and a much more natural finish - basically the two top things I look for when contouring. And it's super soft - always a bonus.

Soap and Glory Sugar Crush Body Buttercream - Bodycare-wise there's only really been one product this month that I've been obsessing over and it's actually a body moisturiser. I know - shocker. I've spoken a few times in the past about how I go through phases with moisturising my body - doing it religiously, or not at all - and recently it's been the latter. In the hope of getting back into it again I've been cracking this body butter from my faithful Soap and Glory out and I think it may just have done the trick. The 'Sugar Crush' range is by far my favourite they have on offer, so I guess it was inevitable that it would; but aswell as smelling divine, this ultra-thick cream leaves my limbs super soft and generally in much better condition, all ready for when the warmer weather finally decides to make a permanent appearance...

OGX Renewing Argan Oil Shampoo and Conditioner - Finally for all the things I've been loving is a new shampoo and conditioner duo. I'm a big fan of the Coconut Water range they do (as you'd probably know if you're a regular round these parts) and so when the time came for me to invest in a new shampoo/conditioner set, I instantly went back to the stand at my local Boots and after some deliberation - I picked up two from the Argan Oil range. Having dry, damaged hair that's not particularly helped by the fact it's dyed/bleached blonde at the ends, it sure is in need of hydration and that's exactly what these promise to deliver. I finally cracked them open around the start of the month and I'm really rather impressed. The shampoo does a good job at cleansing my hair, but the consistency feels really creamy and pampering too, whilst the conditioner is super thick and leaves my hair soft and tangle-free. After using these two, my hair's always manageable and once blow-dried is sleek and shiny and much less on the frizzy side of things than it usually is. It seems OGX can do no wrong when it comes to haircare...

What I'd Love To Have:

Kimberley Walsh New Eylure Lashes (Texture 158) - £5.45 - I don't know if I've mentioned this before round these parts, but I was a big Girls Aloud fan back in the day when I was growing up (ahh, memories) and still to this day I could happily recite all of their lyrics to their songs and long for the day they might just reunite. But anyway - with all that in mind - when I heard Kimberley was releasing another lash style as part of her collaboration with Eylure, I was naturally intrigued. Their messy, criss-cross finish and winged-out effect really remind me a lot of a style of Fleur De Force lashes that I love. Maybe these may be my kinda thing too? There's only one way to find out...

L'Oreal Extraordinary Clay Haircare Range - Ranging from £3.99-£5.99 - I know I just rambled on about how much I love the new duo from OGX that I'm currently working my way through, but I just can't help but be intrigued about L'Oreal's newest additions to their haircare family. A formulation that supposedly hydrates dry ends, whilst also cleansing grey roots? Sounds just up my street. Perhaps this will be where I'll be heading haircare-wise when I next need a new shampoo and conditioner, who knows.

Soap and Glory Sugar Crush Shower Gelly - £5.50 - Whilst pondering Boots the other day (what's new?) I came across a product from Soap and Glory that I hadn't seen before, so I'm assuming is a new-in. With the Sugar Crush scent being my fave, this immediately caught my attention (despite there being another in a different fragrance too I think) and combined with the fact that we're now approaching the season where I basically stick to showers exclusively - this sure is tempting to pick up. Right now I'm trying to resist though, as the amount of shower gels I have in my collection is just a little excessive...

Sleek Solstice Highlighting Palette - £9.99 - I've seen this quite literally everywhere this month and I think it may be a new release from Sleek (so perhaps that explains it). That and the fact it looks absolutely gorgeous and everyone and their dog is obsessed with highlighting at the moment - myself included. The gold packaging is all kinds of stunning and the four shimmery shades inside looks equally so - with three powder highlights and one cream formula too. I've watched this being used in a  fair few tutorials these past few weeks and have loved the finished effect.

MAC Strobe Cream - £24.50 for the full-size, £10.00 for the travel-size - Yet another highlighting-related product, I know. What did I say again about everyone being obsessed with getting that glowy look? With it being my birthday next month (exciting!) I've finally deemed it the time I will at last get myself into my local MAC and drop some dollar on some higher-end makeup for the first time. Slowly but surely, I've been conjuring up a wishlist of some products I'm lusting after and this shimmery moisturiser is one of the latest additions. I saw this pop up on someone's blog or YouTube video recently and knew it was something I wanted to try. It can be utilised in a multitude of ways - worn alone, mixed into foundations or simply as a cream highlighter - and I'm actually eyeing up the mini one at the moment as I've heard reviews saying that a little really does go a long way...

The Anna and Lily Cult Beauty Box - £85.00 - Anna (from ViviannaDoesMakeup) and Lily Pebbles are two of my favourite Bloggers/YouTubers, so of course when I saw the news that they are launching their own Cult Beauty Box fill to the brim with a selection of their favourite beauty bits (a mixture of full-size and minis) - my ears definitely perked up. I've never actually purchased anything like this before, but this one sure looks tempting and the actual pricepoint in comparison to how much everything would cost if bough separately makes for a rather good deal too. Maybe I will, maybe I won't (the box goes on sale at midday today so not long till I have to make my mind up) but whatever I decide - big congratulations to these two lovely ladies!

All The Liquid Lipsticks (NYX, Stila, Kat Von D, Anastasia, Kylie Lip Kits etc.) - Let's not get into it, yeah? - Liquid lipsticks are also having a bit of a 'moment' right now, aren't they? Once again, everyone and their Grandma is either bulk-buying them, obsessing over them or lusting after some new ones to try out and I really want to get in on the beauty love-in. I've tried a couple of formulas in the past (before they were a big 'thing' in the beauty world) but now I quite literally want to sample them all - and there are a few brands right now which seem to be at the top of everyone's wishlist and getting all the hype. And you know what I'm like when that happens...

And that's just about it for my April Loves and Lusts! How have we already completed the fourth edition of 2016's series? Madness. See you same time, same place for what I've been loving and lusting after during May, yeah? I'm sure it won't be no time at all...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS