navigation

Tuesday 3 May 2016

Drugstore Concealers - A Comparison #EveryDayMay


Shopping for concealer can be a bit of a minefield, especially in the drugstore. Products aren't always clearly labelled in terms of usage (and even then it can sometimes turn out to be incorrect!) and the different options available aren't clear-cut. With that in mind, today I thought I'd share the varying concealers I have in my collection which you can pick up in Boots or Superdrug and give my overall thoughts on each one, how I personally like to use them and also how I find them to differ from each other. Ready? Let's get into it...

RIMMEL LASTING FINISH CONCEALER - Kicking things off with the thickest, highest coverage option I have in my stash is this one from Rimmel. This comes in pot form and I personally like to dab some of this onto a small, round eyeshadow brush before stippling it onto where I want it to go. It's intensely pigmented and a little really does go a long way - as it's rather thick in consistency if you overload it you could venture into #CakeFace, and that is never a good look. Used correctly and in small doses though, this is a brilliant one for pinpoint work or covering up small, more precise areas such as little blemishes or in the especially dark inner corners under the eyes.
 
COLLECTION LASTING PERFECTION CONCEALER - Ah, the classic. This gives an incredible amount of coverage, but this time comes in liquid form with a more traditional doe foot applicator set-up. It's thicker than some others that fall under this category that I've tried (see below), but is really creamy, blends out fairly easily and lasts all day long. I find I can go in with it on a smaller brush on more precise areas or apply it more liberally to larger sections and it works equally well for both - though as it is quite heavy duty, I don't like it so much now for under my eyes. I have others I now prefer for that area, as you'll see...
 
L'OREAL TRUE MATCH CONCEALER - Another liquid-y concealer, though this time with a  slightly thinner formula. It's still got the density required to pack some punch on the coverage front, but I find this one to be a little creamier and super effortless to buff into the skin. The finish feels more lightweight and hydrating and all the shades have a slight yellow-y undertone to them - making them a fab option for cancelling out blue/purple tinges that can crop up under those peepers.
 
RIMMEL MATCH PERFECTION CONCEALER - Another from Rimmel (only one more to go after this, promise) and this time with a  slightly different format. This comes in a little squeezy tube with a brush-on applicator and I actually really like this set-up as I feel you can be really controlled with where you put your concealer and you probably end up getting more bang for your buck too. The consistency is again more liquid-y so gives you a good coverage but with a slightly more moisturising finish and feels super lightweight once blended out. Once again, this is a good'un for under those eyes as you can do that whole 'triangle' thing to give an illuminating effect and I have to say it works really well.
 
RIMMEL WAKE ME UP CONCEALER - On the topic of illuminating - the final two concealers I have in my collection from the drugstore are catered exactly for that purpose. Last but certainly not least from Rimmel is their take on the standard doe foot housing for a coverup and this - as the name suggests - really does work wonders in waking things up. Because of this, I only really tend to use this under my eyes exclusively as I don't really find it to work as well around the face (who really wants to illuminate their blemishes?). It comes into its own under those peepers though and does a great job at giving a highlighted effect to that area. I would say it hasn't got such a great deal of coverage as some of the others I've mentioned, so I prefer to utilise this on top of a more heavy duty concealer as opposed to using it alone - but the finish is beautiful and is well worth the extra step in my routine.
 
COLLECTION ILLUMINATING TOUCH CONCEALER - Last but certainly by no means least is another from Collection and again it's directed for those of us who want all things highlighting from their concealer. This one, like the Rimmel Match Perfection, comes with a brush-on applicator - though this time with a twist-up mechanism as opposed to simply squeezing the product out. I don't like this packaging as much, but for the product inside I can deal with it. This is probably the most liquid-y formula of them all and of course because of this it probably has the least coverage. But as I said above, if I'm honest these types of concealers I don't tend to reach for when I want a heavy duty concealer, but more as a final step to go on top of a more covering one - and for that is works a treat.

So, that just about concludes my drugstore concealer round-up! I hope you somehow found this useful and perhaps found one you haven't tried yet and now want to rush out to Boots or Superdrug immediately to pick up and give a go and I will see you same time, same place for another day of #EveryDayMay...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS