navigation

Thursday 5 May 2016

The Rather Large NYX Lip Haul... #EveryDayMay


Ever since NYX launched in Boots, I've been wanting to get my hands on some bits 'n' bobs. I'd contemplated making an online order, but was hesitant to buy anything without at least seeing it in the flesh first (online swatches can be misleading sometimes) so never got round to actually hauling anything at all. Then, when in my local store the other day I spotted it now has a counter entirely full of NYX goodies. I basically couldn't believe my eyes and bounded over like an overexcited puppy and immediately started having a browse and after a while mooching and swatching I came away with some items. It was always gonna happen.
 
For some reason there seemed to be a reoccurring theme throughout this shop-a-thon - it was made up exclusively of lip products alone. Now this is kind of a rarity for me. Usually I'm all about the eyes and base when it comes to trying my first few items from a brand that's new to me, but this time it was the pout products that caught my attention the most. I guess it's in that arena that NYX is perhaps best known for and I'd heard the most good things about what they had on offer lips-wise so that may just explain my slightly out of character beauty shopping. Anyway, let's get into the actual juicy stuff and show you lovely lot exactly what made it to the tillpoint with me...

Out of everything they had on offer, the Soft Matte Lip Creams interested me the most (along with another newer range which I'll get onto next). I'm much more of a matte lip gal as opposed to glossy, so of course anything that fit that beauty brief was always gonna be what I would pick up a shade or five of. These are kinda intriguing as while they are matte and in liquid form - they're not necessarily what I'd deem a 'liquid lipstick'. They feel much more hydrating on the lips and while they do dry down to a finish which is by no means shiny; they're not completely matte, matte either. Because of this, they don't have the longest lasting power in the world, but they certainly hang around for a decent amount of time and when they do start to wear off, do so really nicely in that they fade off evenly without leaving an unsightly line around the edges. They also feel uber-comfortable on the lips - something which while I don't mind too much with a traditional liquid lipstick, isn't my favourite thing about them. On my first 'in-store' experience I went for two shades as I wanted to keep things modest just incase I didn't get along with them at all. Turns out, I love them a lot, so went online a day or so later to order three more. I know, I know - but they really are awesome. To begin with, I went for the shades 'Instanbul' (a pinky nude) and 'Cannes' (a deep berry/brown) and after falling head over heels for those two, I added the hues 'Stockholm' (a peach-toned nude), 'Antwerp' (a bright pinky-coral) and 'Zurich' (a gorgeous coral nude) to my collection. The last one - Zurich - I'm particularly happy with as it's such a unique colour in terms of anything I've ever seen or worn before and I'm really pleased I got my hands on it.

Then, on the same online shop that saw me take away three more of the Soft Matte Lip Creams, I finally got round to grabbing two shades of their latest lip launch - the Lip Lingerie Liquid Lipsticks. These came out I think around the start of the year and I knew I wanted to give them a go at some point and at last the time has come. Unfortunately, for some bizarre reason they weren't part of the display at the Boots store I went into so instead I ordered a couple online after spending what felt like forever analysing all the swatches I came across (remember what I said earlier about online pictures sometimes being deceptive?). These are more akin to 'traditional' liquid lipsticks, in that they actually dry properly down to a super matte finish which is probably the longest lasting lip formula you can find. In the end, I plumped for 'Push Up' and 'Bedtime Flirt'. Both are beautiful brown hues which are ideal for someone like me who wants to get behind the whole '90's Lips' vibe, without being too much. They're not too dark and both have something else going on rather than just being straight-up brown, brown. The former has more of a peach undertone, whilst the latter is more pink-toned and both I am a big fan of.  Being a lover of any lip colour that's a little Kylie Jenner-esque, 'Bedtime Flirt' will probably be the one I reach for the most but 'Push Up' is an ideal colour for when I fancy something a little more neutral. I've given both a road-test on my lips and I have to say I am a big fan of the formula. They're thick and opaque after just one layer, but yet they don't feel heavy at all on the pout and after a while you kinda forget you've even got anything on. Yes, they are much more drying than the Soft Matte Lip Creams, but they last far longer (basically all day - wowzers) and if you whack on some lip balm before application it's not too bad. I would pick up more shades, but I think I need to gather up the courage to as most of them are slightly more out of my comfort zone...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS