navigation

Wednesday 20 July 2016

New In At The Drugstore - Summer Edition


Over the past month or so, I've noticed many a new release popping up in the drugstore (a.k.a. Boots and Superdrug). Gradually, I've been deciphering and gathering together just what ones interest me the most and so today I am finally able to share them all with you lovely lot. Some are pretty fresh off the press, while others perhaps are a little less so - but overall, they're are all still fairly newly-launched - so let's just jump right on in...

Kicking things off with L'Oréal and of course I was always gonna include these two, eh? Unless you've been residing under a rock for a while, you'll most likely know about the launch of their Nude Magique Cushion Foundation (£14.99). This is what I believe to be the first foundation released in the drugstore in a cushion-type format and everyone has quite literally been going mad for it as of late so I just had to give it a go. I plumped for the shade '3/Vanilla' and it claims to give 'an ultimate fresh nude finish, in a tap' with a 'unique tap-tap applicator which allows for effortlessly buildable application on the go'. I really love how compact this foundation is and how it promises a fresh, radiant finish - you know how much I love a good glow. The theory with this is that you can apply a little for a sheer finish, or go in with more product to produce a more full-coverage look. I really like that concept - especially as personally, I like to vary the coverage of my foundation for certain areas of my face - and I am very much excited to finally be trying this out. Similarly, L'Oréal have also just released their Glam Bronze Cushion De Soleil (also £14.99). This has the exact same packaging set-up as the foundation, though with a different colour scheme and this claims to 'instantly illuminates skin to reveal a sunkissed, dewy bronze finish' and 'allows for a customisable glow all year round with freshness and hydration to build your ideal tan'. This comes in a sole, universal shade - so fingers crossed it matches to my fair complexion! From what I can see, this promises the same healthy, glow-boosting effect; but this time in bronzer form. Being someone with a paler skintone, I like to go in with a very light hand when it comes to bronzing and build it up gradually to avoid looking like an Oompa Loompa and so, once again, the 'custom coverage' concept really appeals to me. As with everything mentioned in this post, I'll give it all a thorough testing out and report back on my findings...

Moving onto Rimmel and I have only one item to show you lovely lot today - but I promise, it's a good'un. As I briefly mentioned in my last 'Loves and Lusts' post, Rimmel have recently launched a new collection of lipsticks and nail polishes to celebrate the 15th Anniversary of their collaboration with Kate Moss. Crazy stuff. Anyway, I had a looksee at the range and it was definitely the lipsticks which caught my eye the most. They are a 'special-edition lip collection in Kate's favourite reds and nudes, each created by Kate and inspired by her London look'. Three reds and three nudes and what with my obsession with neutral hues right now - obviously, it was the latter which I was drawn to. After a good swatching sesh, I picked up the shade '54/Rock N Roll Nude' (£8.99) - a pinky-peachy nude - and surprisingly, I don't have many of the kind in my collection already. I normally opt for the mauve tones, but it's nice to have a change every now and again and I will let you lovely lot how I get on with it. P.S. I had a little sniff and I can confirm it has the same sweet, vanilla fragrance as is the norm for Rimmel lipsticks. Mmhmmm.

I then picked up a couple of items from the Maybelline stand. Of all the brands in the drugstore, Maybelline seemed to have the most that were new-in, but I filtered through everything and came across the two products which I was most intrigued by and eager to add to my collection. The first being the Lash Sensational Luscious Mascara (£7.99). This claims to be 'enriched with a blend of precious oils; rose, safflower and argan oil for a softer, denser lash multiplying effect' with an 'arch-shaped brush that reaches from the longest to the smallest of lashes, volumising every layer and containing a reservoir that holds the enriched formula in the bristles, filling the lash line instantly'. As you lovely lot probably know, I am a big fan of most Maybelline mascaras and I especially love the original 'Lash Sensational' formula. Because of both of those things, I've got fairly high hopes for this offering, but I guess there's only one way to truly find out how it fares, eh? On first look, the brush appears totally different to how it is in the standard version - but whether that turns out to be a good or bad thing remains to be seen. The second and final new-in purchase I made was another rather exciting one (at least, for me personally) - the Colour Sensational Vivid Matte Liquid Lipsticks (£6.99 each). Like many others, I am well and truly on the liquid lipstick train at the moment - and I am loving it. It's the formulation that I am the most interested in right now and part of that is me basically attempting to buy as many variations of it as possible. All in neutral hues, of course - the Kylie Jenner effect is real people. These claim to have 'vivid matte pigments that give high-impact colour for a velvety matte finish, in a comfortable, creamy formula' with a 'flexible, slanted tip applicator with ultra-soft bristles, making it easy to contour and shape your lips'. The shade range was rather impressive and after what I just, I'm sure it will come as no surprise that I picked up 'Nude Thrill' - a pinky, brown nude. As I said, whenever a brand brings out a collection of liquid lipsticks, I am all ears, so this launch just called out to me as something I wanted/needed to try. With them being typically well-known for being rather drying on the pout, the fact that these seemingly promise to do the exact opposite and instead be far more comfortable on the lips also interests me. Hopefully they'll live up to my expectations...

Finally, it wouldn't be a 'New In At The Drugstore' post without a mention from Barry M, would it? They always seem to have new products launching here, there and everywhere and this season is no exception. First off, we have the Illuminating Strobe Cream (£4.49). This claims to be 'an all-in-one highlighting product that can be swept softly on the skin for a dewy glow, or layered for the must-have strobing look'. At the moment, I am all about the glow and highlighting is probably my favourite step of makeup application so once again, this kind of product just screams out as something that's right up my street. I used to shy away from cream products in stick form - finding them rather dry and difficult to apply and blend - but having been converted by Collection's Speedy Highlighter, I am more than up for giving this one by Barry M a go. I opted for the shade 'Frosty Pink', which I pictured as suiting my paler complexion more than the other, more bronzey toned offering and I'm hoping this will have a similar creamy, smooth texture like that of the one from Collection. If so, we may just have a winner on our hands. Nails-wise, there was always gonna be a couple of new releases from this section as it's what Barry M are best known for and do best. There's the Lolly Gloss Nail Paints (£3.99 each) which claim to 'provide a sheer, juicy, jelly finish with a hint of colour that can be built up to how you like it and can be worn alone or over the top of other shades to change its colour'. I plumped for the shade 'Pink Candy', a bright, hot pink and I really like the concept of these - especially with the warmer months now in full swing (finally!). They look just ideal for adding a touch of colour, while still looking light and fresh on the nails and with that gorgeous, gel-like finish. Once again, I love how they're customisable to how much pigment and opacity you want and how you can always layer them over another lacquer in your stash too. What more could you want? Next up are the Molten Metal Nail Paints (also £3.99 each). Metallic finishes also seem to be having resurgence right now, so this launch seems pretty apt and from first glance, I knew I had to give them a go. These claim to 'give your nails show-stopping style and an instant luxe look, with a mirror-shine foil finish that will glisten for days'. I used to love these kinds of duo-chrome, super-shiny effects on my nails back in the day and so this giving these a go feels rather nostalgic. Of all the suitably metallic-themed hues, I just had to pick up 'Copper Mine'. Barry M really did well at including some form of warm-toned, copper shade in their line-up for this range, as it's yet another thing which everyone and their Nan is going cray cray for right now - myself included. On first appearance, this looks so beautiful in the bottle and surprisingly, it's a hue which looks completely non-identical to anything else I have in my stash already. I know, I know - shocker alert!

And there we have it - everything I've accumulated over the past few weeks that's new-in from the aisles of Boots and Superdrug! Anything you've seen there which has taken your fancy, or perhaps there's something you've come across recently at the drugstore which is all fresh and new which I haven't included in this post? Let me know...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS