navigation

Friday 15 July 2016

Tried and Tested: Tanya Burr Cosmetics - The 'Soft Luxe' Collection













It's time for another Tried and Tested featuring a new collection by another well-known 'online personality'! The lovely Tanya Burr has yet again added some new products to her makeup line, Tanya Burr Cosmetics - altogether titled 'The Soft Luxe Collection'. Just like Zoe (a.k.a. Zoella), Tanya is one of the first people I came across when I first stumbled upon the online beauty community around five years ago now. Still to this day, her blog and YouTube channel remains one of my favourites to read and watch and I have also been just as big a fan of Tanya Burr Cosmetics ever since she first launched the whole brand around two years ago. Putting the fact that it was curated by Tanya aside, the products themselves are of such amazing quality considering the affordable price point and everything I've tried in the past, I've been thoroughly impressed by. Only last year she completed revamped the whole range and added some new items (which I reviewed here) and around twelve months on, a fresh flurry of products have made their way to shelves. And you know what? I actually think that with every release the products Tanya brings out are only getting better as I think this may just be my favourite launch from Tanya Burr Cosmetics yet...

The range overall consists of two eyeshadow palettes, three matte lip colours and three matte nail polishes. Tanya previously added three eyeshadow palettes to her range for the first time in her last collection (one of which I LOVE), whilst the other two products are completely new additions to Tanya Burr Cosmetics. I knew as soon as I saw the first glimpses of the 'Soft Luxe' range that I just had to pick some bits 'n' bobs up as there was not a single product I wasn't intrigued about trying and the overall tones featured are really up my street. There's a lot of pinks and purples going on - but done in a very soft, neutral way - and you lovely lot probably know I am all over anything like that. I love how in this range Tanya has really encompassed some popular trends that are going round at the moment with the prominence of the matte finish for the lips and nails and the types of shades she chose. I left it a little while after the whole range was first made available so I could get a proper look at it all and hear any initial reactions before deciding what products to purchase and I'm pretty happy with what I went for...

First up, we have the Tanya Burr Cosmetics Eyeshadow Palettes in 'Birthday Suit' and 'Enchanted Dream' (£5.99 each). Just like the last launch, the eyeshadow palettes were by far what excited me the most initially - especially this time round, knowing how good they are. I was secretly hopeful that at least one new shade collection would be included in Tanya's newest range and fortunately, I was in luck. It's the exact same packaging set-up as last time, with a cardboard outer casing (that's actually surprisingly sturdy) with magnetic closing which opens up to reveal four large pans of shadowy goodness. Initially, I wanted to only opt for one of the shade variations, but I fell head over heels for them both after seeing pictures online and it became impossible to choose between them - so, naturally, I just got both. #MakeupAddictProblems. In the 'Birthday Suit' Palette we have what just might be the most everyday-friendly, neutral palette from Tanya Burr Cosmetics yet. Inside there's 'Marzipan' (a shimmery light pink), 'Toast' (a gorgeous matte, light peachy-brown), 'Cocoa Sugar' (a very shimmery deep, metallic bronze) and 'Soft Truffle' (a standard, true chocolate brown matte). I really like the shades Tanya chose for this palette. You've got your classic neutral tones in there, but there's a couple of different shades which definitely give the compilation a  bit of a twist. Personally, I love using 'Marzipan' all-over the lid, 'Toast' in the crease and outer corner and if I want to take the look further, 'Soft Truffle' added again into the outer sections to deepen it up even more and 'Cocoa Sugar' pressed gently over the top to add some extra glitz. As for the 'Enchanted Dream' Palette, this holds a selection of hues a little more on the colourful side of things - but still very much in-keeping with the wearable, neutral theme. Inside we have 'Moonlit Walk' (a shimmery light champagne), 'Cocoa Plum' (a shimmery purple-y taupe), 'Berry SoufflĂ©' (a pinky-purple taupe matte) and 'Magic Carpet' (a deep, matte plum). As I said, when I do experiment more with colour on my eyes, it always tends to be pinks and purples that I go for so this palette is perfect for me. 'Cocoa Plum' is great as a one-wash wonder, but if I do feel going a step further, I love adding 'Berry Souffle' into the crease, 'Moonlit Walk' into the inner corner for amazing highlight and possibly a touch of 'Magic Carpet' in the outer corner to add some extra smokiness. Once again, I really like how there's a few shades which are completely unique to anything else I have in my collection and I feel like Tanya has done really well with this palette especially to give a whole host of colourful, yet still wearable options.  

As for the palettes overall, I love how, as with all the Tanya Burr palettes, there's a mix of shimmers and mattes and also a variety of shades, so you have a whole range of different options as for what look you go for - whether day-time or night-time. I'm also pleased to report that the quality is just as amazing as it was before - if not even better. They apply and blend like a dream with hardly any fall-down, have great longevity and the shadows are so intensely rich and pigmented. Like seriously, especially with the mattes, you literally just need one dab in the pan to get an insane amount of colour-payoff. I actually think they've reformulated them this time round to make them even creamier, as when using my brush in the pans there is quite literally none that comes away from the shadow - everything is transferred straight onto the brush. I never found any issues with the consistency of the shadows before, but I really cannot find any fault with them now. And to say they're only £6 each is all kinds of amazing...

Moving onto lips and for this collection, Tanya has branched out from her lipglosses and instead launched a completely different type of lip product. Unless you've been living under a rock for the past year or so, matte lips and liquid lipsticks are a huge thing right now and so I guess it's no surprise that Tanya has tried her hand at the trend and released the Tanya Burr Cosmetics Matte Lips (£5.99 each). These are housed in the same way as the regular lipglosses, though to go with the 'Matte' theme, Tanya has chosen to give the packaging a frosted finish, which I really like and think is a handy touch to make them more recognisable from the other lip products. To start with, there are just three shades to choose from, but maybe there may be more added at a later date - who knows? For now, we have a good selection - including a light baby pink, a bright coral and the shade that I plumped for. Of them all, there was one that I was instantly drawn to and just had to pick up (and going on what I've seen/heard, I don't appear to be alone). I went for 'Martha Moo', a deep pinky-brown nude, which is basically synonymous of the types of hues which are 'in' at the moment and I am definitely a big fan of. It's a very close match to my natural lip colour, so is completely wearable and yet, quite a statement at the same time. As soon as it arrived and I gave it a swatch I was holding out on the formula being amazing as I just fell in love with the shade and thankfully - it was. It's scented almost exactly the same as the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams, with a very sweet (but not sickly) cupcake-type scent which is certainly a big plus point. The consistency is typical of every other liquid lipstick I've tried - a creamy lacquer which soon dries down to a matte finish once you apply it to the lips. I followed Tanya's advice to apply only a fine, light I found it to glide on really nicely. The flexible applicator made getting a precise application fairly straightforward and once on my actual lips, it didn't feel too bad. Obviously, as with most liquid lipsticks, it is a tad drying on the lips, but it wasn't as bad as some and I actually found this formula to be one of the few which emphasised the lines on my lips the least. The longevity is really good, with it lasting all throughout the day with only minimal touch-ups needed in the very centre of my pout after eating or drinking and the neutral colour meant it was very forgiving when this happened. I really hope Tanya does bring out more of these at some point, as I think she's done a very good job indeed...

Finally, onto the final product from 'The Soft Luxe Collection' - the Tanya Burr Cosmetics Matte Nail Polishes (£4.99 each). Following on from the Matte Lips, Tanya has also released a selection of nail lacquers with the same shine-free finish. Once again, matte nails are another big trend that has been gradually gaining popularity for a couple of years now. Personally, unlike liquid lipsticks, I've never dabbled that much into the this trend as I'm such a fan of your standard, glossy polishes - but once I saw these, I felt it was time I just bit the bullet and gave the concept a go. There's three shades in total - a light grey, dusky pink and lilac-y grey taupe.  I was once again a tad conflicted as to what one to choose as they're all so pretty and every shade I can picture myself wearing, but in the end, I plumped for the latter of the three - called 'Soft Pyjamas'. As I said, this is a kind of perfect pastel mix of purple and grey and falls into a category of polish shades which everyone seems to go wild for. I don't have many (if any) like this in my stash, so for once - this isn't likely to be similar to something else I already own. Halleujah! The frosted packaging seen on the liquid lipsticks is again present, though the same packaging set-up used before with the gold lid which can be removed to reveal an easy-to-use black cap underneath remains. It's a grat inclusion for those who love matte nails, but perhaps if they aren't so much your thing or you fancy switching it up, I also really like how in theory, you can always apply a topcoat over the top of these to give them back the shine of a regular polish. Ahh, how I love a good bit of versatility. FYI - I haven't included a swatch photo of 'Soft Pyjamas' as I'm hoping to do a 'Polish Pick' sometime next week featuring it - so look out for that if you want to see it in action!

And that just about wraps up my review of the new Tanya Burr Soft Luxe Collection! From what I've sampled, I'd say this is definitely my favourite launch from the brand so far - I quite literally love everything I've purchased, and would certainly go back for more at some point in the future. Considering it's such an affordable, readily-available collection - the products are amazing quality and very aesthetically pleasing indeed - and I really cannot fault them. Congratulations to Tanya on yet another brilliant launch and if you're yet to give any of it a go - I'd highly recommend you do so...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS