navigation

Monday 24 April 2017

Getting Your Glow On - Six Simple Steps


Highlighters have been huge in the makeup world for what feels like forever now. Everyone and their dog is all kinds of obsessed with them - myself included - and in general, just loving getting their glow on right now and so I thought I'd touch on the subject for possibly the hundredth time so far round these parts. I just love all things highlighting, ok? This time round though, I figured it might be nice to break things down a tad and talk you lovely lot through all the ways you can (or at least I choose to/have found) to get in on some of the glowy goodness. Sometimes, I'll only do one or two of these, but if I really want to shine straight up to Space I'll even make it a bit of a six-step system - and then perhaps wonder why I resemble The Tin Man at the end of doing my makeup. #SorryNotSorry...


MOISTURISER - Firstly, I even get started on doing my makeup, I always moisturise beforehand. Not only does it kind of 'prep' my skin, it also gives my complexion a bit of a helping hand in the sheeney department and sort of kick-start the whole process. I'm a firm believer in the fact that no matter what makeup you apply, it's super-important to take care of the skin that's underneath first off as if you have good skin, this will shine through whatever makeup you apply on the top and give you that glowy look completely naturally. Right now, I've been loving using the Garnier Moisture Bomb 3-in-1 Moisturiser - not only does it smell lovely, it nails the balance between being super hydrating but also super-lightweight at the same time and so plumps up the skin without leaving it feeling overly heavy, sticky or greasy.

PRIMER - Moving onto makeup and personally, I am very much of the opinion that Primers are an essential step in makeup application. Not only do they help your makeup apply much smoother and easier, they also aid the longevity and also, can sometimes help achieve a desired finish too. In this case, we're going for all things glow and so an illuminating primer can do wonders for adding that extra dose of sheeny-ness. While it isn't a 'skincare' step like the moisturiser, it works in a similar way of giving your makeup that head start and creating a 'lit from within' kinda glow before you even move onto applying your base and I love it. Currency, I have been obsessed with the Collection Primed and Ready Anti-Fatigue Illuminating Primer Powered By Witch. This is cheap as chips and delivers not only a great base for makeup that's gonna last the whole day through, but the slightly shimmery formula instantly makes you look more glowy, healthy and wide-awake. What more could you ask for?

LIQUID HIGHLIGHTERS - Then - we're going into the main event now - the actual Highlighters. There are so many varying formats, formulas and textures but in the simplest form - they can mostly be broken down into 'Liquids', 'Creams' and 'Powders'. Depending on the amount of time or effort you want or can put in or simply depending on how glowy you wanna go - you can apply just one and call it a day or layer and build them up. Either works a treat - it's completely up to you. Following the main 'rule' of makeup (not to imply there are any strict 'rules' in makeup - but you know what I mean) - if you want to layer them up, you'e best to go in the same order I just listed them off as you don;t really want to be placing liquids or creams on top of powders. Instead, liquid highlighters work wonderfully either alone or as a base for a powder illuminator to be applied over the top of later on. The slightly tacky consistency will really grab onto whatever you place over the top and make it instantly more pigmented and intense and also hang around for a lot longer too. Failing that, try mixing in a blob with your base of choice, or applying it in place of a primer to really get that glow poppin'. I have a lot of favourites in this category, but one that I have been reaching for a hella a lot as of late has been the Maybelline Master Strobing Liquid Illuminating Highlighter in 'Light'. This icy, pink hue is so intense that you literally only need a tiny drop to practically cover your whole face. Amazing.

CREAM HIGHLIGHTERS - These will work in place of a liquid illuminator and while they cannot be mixed into other products like liquids, they can still be used in the same way as a kind of 'highlighter primer' in that you can apply them first and ether leave it at that or go in with your powder highlighter over the top and go forth and GLOW. I love the convenience of creams in that they usually come in a stick form - meaning you can quite literally draw them on and blend them out with just the warmth of your finger and you're done. There's a lot of control in how much you apply and where you place it - but just make sure that if you're planning to blend (probably best that you do) or apply something over the top that you do so fast as these dry very quickly I find. Again, a lot of faves for this one but one that's been catching my eye recently has been the Collection Speedy Highlighter in 'Pearl Sheen'. This has been a firm fave of mine for goodness knows how long and still to this day, I am a massive fan of it. It's the perfect champagne-tone, the consistency is super creamy and blendable and it manages to be glowy - but without being packed full of chunky and overly noticeable glitter or shimmer.

POWDER HIGHLIGHTERS - My possible favourite, favourite way of bringing the glow - mainly due to the fact that it's the one I always seem to do, no matter what - and that is powder highlighters. As I've said, these can be easily dusted on alone, or used as a 'topper' for a cream or liquid to really make them pop to outer space and 'set' them into place while doing so too. Your highlight ain't going anywhere with one of these - that's fo' sho. Right now, I am loving the NYX Duo Chromatic Powder in 'Snow Rose'. It's pretty different to the types of tones I usually reach for highlighter-wise on a regular basis, but the pinky, duo chrome effect is super cool and makes a nice change from all the golden, champagne hues.

SETTING SPRAY - Last, but definitely by no means least - good ol' setting spray/fixing mist/whatever you wanna call it. I love a good spritz of setting spray as the final finishing touch to my makeup look to really lock things down into place and but it's also brilliant at changing the finished effect of your makeup too. Setting spray in general I always find to help makeup your face look 'finished', mesh everything together and minimise cakey-ness or powdery-ness but choose the right one and you can also really amp up the dewy-ness with it too. As you'll probably know, I am a huge advocate for Urban Decay's All Nighter Setting Spray and while this stuff does definitely set your makeup into place all day long, I personally find it does help to add that extra, finishing touch of that glow that we all crave. I mean, c'mon - you know you do too...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS