navigation

Friday 5 January 2018

2017 Favourites Part One: Makeup, Nails and Tools





With both Christmas and New Year's over for another year, and January now in full swing, what better time to sit down and discuss some of my favourites from 2017? Having done my usual, monthly favourites-type format throughout the past year here - it was relatively easy to pick out my favourites from the past 12 months - and I guess, it'll also be pretty easy for all of you lovely lot to guess them as we go along too. Maybe you could make a lil' drinking game out of it? Or perhaps that wouldn't be the best idea... Either way, as usual, I am going to be splitting my Yearly Favourites into two parts. Today, I'll be talking you through all of the 'Makeup', 'Nails' and 'Tools' I have been obsessing over; whilst in my next post I'll be giving the deets on all of my favourites from the 'Bath and Body', 'Haircare' and 'Skincare' categories. And perhaps if you fancy a trip down memory lane, you can check out all of my previous Yearly Favourites round-up's here. Phew. I think that's all I needed to say before getting started so, without any further ado - let's get into it. Grab yourself a drink, maybe a snack and get comfy, it's gonna be a long one...

Makeup:

BEST PRIMER - Maybelline SuperStay 24HR Primer - A primer I discovered in 2017 and have loved ever since is this one from Maybelline. The consistency is super-liquidy and almost watery, but as soon as you start applying it onto your face it soon sinks in, smooths things out and gives the skin a nice, slightly tacky finish all ready for your foundation to stick on top of. It really aids the finish and - most importantly - the longevity of my makeup and really, what more could you want, right? MENTIONED HERE.
BEST COLOUR CORRECTORS - Collection Lasting Perfection Colour Correctors - I was never particular into colour correcting - until these beauties launched in 2017 and I became obsessed with them. You all already know how much of a huge fan I am of the Lasting Perfection Concealer (*spoiler alert* that might be making a cheeky appearance later on) and so I was pretty hopeful that these would be just as much of a hit and thankfully, they certainly are. They're basically the exact same creamy, easy-to-blend formula - but in colour corrector form - and the Lemon and Green ones in particular are just awesome for brightening darkness under the eyes and neutralising any redness respectively. MENTIONED HERE.
BEST FOUNDATION Maybelline Dream Satin Liquid Foundation in '02 Fair Beige' - A shocker, I know, but I think I have finally found a foundation in 2017 that rivals my beloved Bourjois Healthy Mix. It's a pretty big deal to see anything other than that base mentioned in my yearly round-up, but ever since starting to use this foundation from,  again, Maybelline, it is virtually all I've used. With its similar, easy to blend formula, medium coverage, not-too-dewy, nor-too-matte smooth finish and awesome lasting power - it's rather comparable to the Healthy Mix - and I guess that explains exactly why it's knocked it off the top spot ever since finding it a few months back. I think I'll always have a soft spot for Bourjois' offering, but for now, Maybelline's is what I have been consistently reaching for. *Collective gasp* MENTIONED HERE.
BEST CONCEALER - Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer in 'Fair' - You know the one. I won't ramble on about this stuff for too long as I'm sure you all know the deal by now, but basically - this is my holy-grail concealer. Easy to blend, super high coverage and a finish that lasts on the skin all-day-long. Plus, it's completely bargainous too. What's not to love? MENTIONED HERE.
Rimmel Lasting Finish Concealer in 'Porcelain' - However, for extra coverage in the really dark inner corners of the under-eyes, any blemishes or the like - this is also a concealer I reach for. Again, this has been a firm favourite of mine for a long, long while - so I won't go on too long - but I just have to give it a mention as it is so awesome and something I use everyday. You need the tiniest amount for such full coverage that never looks heavy, dry or cakey and lasts all day. MENTIONED HERE.
BEST POWDER - Collection Primed and Ready Invisible Setting Powder - Pressed powder-wise - this has again been all I've used in 2017. Cheap as chips, but it does the job of setting and mattifying any areas of my face I want to so well, while still in a completely translucent, lightweight way that doesn't make my skin look dry or cakey. It's a winner. MENTIONED HERE.
Rimmel Match Perfection Silky Loose Powder in 'Translucent' - but, as you might know, 2017 was the year I branched out from pressed powder for the very first time. I tried out the whole concept of makeup 'baking' (where you apply a layer of loose powder, leaving it on the skin for a little while before dusting off the excess) and I actually kinda fell in love with it for special occasions, or for when I really want to lock certain areas into place (such as under the eyes or around my 'smile lines'). I tested out a fair few loose powders an of them all, this one from Rimmel has become my ultimate favourite. It's completely translucent (some claim to be, but they're actually not), but does has a slight pink undertone that actually find to be really brightening - especially under the eyes. It's really finely-milled and actually feels rather lightweight on the skin and it doesn't leave my face feeling or looking too dry and heavy - instead, leaving my complexion with a really lovely, smooth finish afterwards. All in all, it's loveMENTIONED HERE.
BEST BRONZER - Essence Sun Club Matte Bronzing Powder in 'Sun Kissed' - 2017 was also the year I finally strayed from my beloved Soap and Glory Solar Powder Bronzer and actually - I'm pretty pleased I did. I picked up various bits 'n' bobs from Essence for the first time and all in all, it was a rather successful shop as a couple of them ended up featuring in this very end-of-year round up! Who would've thought it? This bronzer is completely matte (my personal preference when it comes to bronzer) and is just the right depth for my paler skintone. It's got a lovely, warm, but not orangey undertone and so never makes me look like a lil' Oompa Loompa and the formula is rather creamy and blends super easily onto the skin. Again, for such an affordable product - I really cannot complain - and I think the fact that I am now on my second compact says everything. This. Is. Awesome. MENTIONED HERE.
BEST CONTOUR - NYX Blush in 'Taupe' - Contour-wise, there is just one product I have used basically all year, ever since I picked it up pretty early on in 2017. Though marketed as a 'blush'; this ashy, purple-toned taupe (good name) actually works perfectly as a contour colour for my pale skin-tone. You only need the smallest touch to get really good colour pay-off - hence why it's only in the last few weeks that I've finally hit pan - and it blends out like a dream and last on the skin all day long. I really cannot see myself using any other than this, contour-wise, for a long time to come... MENTIONED HERE.
BEST HIGHLIGHTER - Soph X Makeup Revolution Highlighter Palette - Now, for the big one - Highlighter. I feel like I could've given so, so many various glow-givers the top spot, but eventually, I settled on this awesome palette from SophDoesNails's collaboration with Makeup Revolution. For such a bargainous price, you get eight highlighters, all of various colours and tones. There's something for everyone in here - no matter your skin-tone - and of course for myself personally, I am especially a fan of the lighter hues. You've got some standard pressed powders and also a few baked powders thrown in there too, so all in all, no matter what colouring and finish of highlighter you're after - you should be able to achieve it using this palette. I personally love a 'wham-bam'-type glow and oh boy can you get that using this palette, but if you're after something more natural - you can easily achieve that too... MENTIONED HERE.
BEST BROW PRODUCT - Eylure x Fleur De Force Brow Define Pencil in 'Medium' - Moving onto Brows and in terms of filling them in, giving them some much-needed shape and definition and just generally beefing them up - this pencil has been my favourite this year. It may not have a spoolie (though honestly, I usually always have a separate one on hand anyway), but it does have two different shades (one lighter, one darker) and so I can easily fill in my brows just using this one pencil rather than having to reach for two varying colours. Taking the darker colour on the majority of my brows, before using the lighter colour to feather the front - it works like a dream - and the colour 'Medium' is the perfect cool, mid-toned brown for my brows. The formula is cream enough to apply and brush through, yet waxy enough to set into place and not budge all day and the thin pencil makes getting hair-like strokes easy-peasy. Love, love, LOVEMENTIONED HERE.
Essence Make Me Brow Brow Gel in '02 Browny Brows' - Then, as a finishing step for my brows - this has been my favourite brow gel for 2017. I've always heard pretty good things about this product from Essence and honestly, after giving it a go, I can see why - it is awesome. The brush is super small and thin and so allows you to really be precise with your application and not only does it set my brows into place nicely (without being crispy), it also adds a slight tint and has tiny fibres within the formula to beef things up even further. I mean, what more could you want from a brow gel, right? MENTIONED HERE.
BEST EYE PRIMER - Urban Decay Primer Potion - I mean, does this even really need a mention? This has been my go-to eye primer for as long as I ca remember and so I guess it's no big surprise that it continued to be so during 2017. It may be a tad pricier than some more affordable options out there, but it remains the best, in my opinion. You only need the tiniest amount and it does the job of creating a nice base for my eyeshadow, making things super-pigmented and keeping things crease-free and in-place all day long. It never, ever fails me and for that reason, I think this'll continue to be my favourite for a long, long time to come. 
BEST  CREAM/LIQUID EYESHADOW - L'Oreal Infallible Eye Paints - In years past, if I have been after a cream or liquid eyeshadow, I have been all about the infamous Maybelline Color Tattoo's, but this year I became utterly obsessed with these beauties from L'Oreal that were released this year. Shocker, I know. Liquid shadows housed in handy tubes with even-handier doe foot applicators - simply brush these on, gently buff out the edges and leave to dry - and you're done. They work awesomely alone, or even used as a base for powder shadows to be applied over the top of and once they're on - they do not budge, smudge, crease or fade all day long. I have built up quite the collection over the past few months since first discovering them and I love and use every shade pretty regularly when doing my eye-makeup. MENTIONED HERE.
BEST EYESHADOW PALETTE - Soph x Makeup Revolution Eyeshadow Palette - *Hands up if you knew this would make an appearance in this post?* I didn't even have to think about what eyeshadow palette would make the top spot for 2017 as ever since buying this a few months back, it has basically all I've used eyeshadow-wise. It. Is. Just. Amazing. For £10, you get 24 shades - all of varying colours, undertones and finishes - and there's basically every shade in there you'd eve need. From neutrals, to warms and cools and even a few pops of colour too - you can create so many looks with this - and that's exactly what I've been doing in 2017. I love Soph, but even if I wasn't a fan and didn't even know who she was - I would still think this palette is awesome - and if you haven't tried it out yet, do it. Do it now! You really won't regret it. MENTIONED HERE.
BEST LIQUID LINER - NYX Epic Ink Liner - 2017 really was the year of change, as I somehow also managed to find a liquid liner that replaced my long-term love for the Soap and Glory Supercat Liner. I picked this up on a bit of a whim, to be honest, as it was a new release and I wasn't really sure what to expect - but oh my, am I glad I did. A brush applicator as opposed to the felt tip-types I'm typically used to, but I actually find this really easy and relatively-foolproof to use and get a sharp, feline flick. The formula is super black and rich in pigment and the finish is nice and matte too. All in all, definitely my new favourite liquid liner for getting my winged liner game on. MENTIONED HERE.
BEST MASCARA - Essence Lash Princess False Lash Effect Mascara - Mascara was actually something I kinda stuggled with a little more in terms of choosing a favourite for 2017. I tried so many - and loved so many - throughout the year that I feel I could have easily mentioned about five that I enjoyed and would highly recommend but when I really thought about it, the one which I *think* impressed me the most was this one, again from Essence. Man, for a brand I'd never even tried before this year, it sure has done well for me! The brush is pretty standard and not overly exciting, but combined with the wet-but-not-too-wet formula - this is a utter winner of a mascara. It really, really thickens, lengthens and lifts my lashes - whilst still separating them out nicely. Though it really beefs them up, it doesn't make them clumpy and too product-laden and still keeps them looking fairly fluttery. It also stays in place all day long too - which is always something I look for. It's just an really awesome mascara, and as always with Essence, is so cheap too! MENTIONED HERE.
BEST LIP LINER - Rimmel 1000 Kisses Lip Liners - Finally, we're onto Lips, and in terms of lining (and also over-lining) them, filling the lips in entirely and acting as a base for everything else and generally keeping things in place - these lip liners from Rimmel have been basically all I've used during 2017. And while I love all of them, I particularly enjoy their 1000 Kisses range. Housed in your traditional pencil format that you have to sharpen as you go - I own so, so many shades of these and every single one is just as awesome as the one before. From your everyday nude hues to reds, pinks, berry tones and everything in-between - they're really pigmented and also creamy enough to apply, yet also waxy enough to allow full control and stay in place. And they'e super affordable too - which is probably why I have so many shades and use them basically all the damn time... MENTIONED HERE.
BEST LIQUID LIPSTICKS - Barry M Matte Me Up Liquid Lip Paints - Again, another product that I feel we all knew was gonna crop up in this post somewhere. Overall, I definitely wear liquid lipsticks the most of all types of lip products and these ones from Barry M have, by far, been my favourites of 2017. Ever since discovering them earlier on in the year, I have become all kinds of obsessed and just love, love, LOVE them. Super thin in texture, these apply super glossy and watery on the lips and yet are fully opaque in one coat and almost instantly dry down to a fully matte, powdery finish (something I always look for in matte liquid lipsticks). They're super affordable and come in such a wide variety of shades - with some even packaged up as 'Lip Kits' with matching lip liners. I feel these will continue to be a firm favourite of mine throughout 2018 aswell... MENTIONED HERE
...However, as I have been such an avid user of all kinds of matte liquid lips in 2017 (as I feel I was the year before aswell), I must give a few honorable mentions to some others that are just as equally awesome too - such as the Sleek Matte Me Lip Creams, Rimmel Stay Matte Liquid Lip Colours and also, an old favourite - the NYX Lip Lingerie's!
BEST NUDE LIP - Tanya Burr Cosmetics Lipstick in 'Bear Hug' - Now, I have loved a lorra lorra nude lippies in 2017 (whether matte, satin, liquid lip, you get the gist) but the one that I feel I've reached for the most this year has by far been this one from Tanya Burr Cosmetics. A traditional, bullet lipstick in a gorgeous, warm peachy-brown that's not too light, nor too dark - just perfect for my paler skin-tone - in a lovely creamy, satin formula to boot; it is awesome. As I said, typically I wear a lot of matte liquid lips and the only time I ever tend to vary that is in nude shades - so if I ever fancy a break from the matte finish and still want a neutral hue, this'll be what I reach for. MENTIONED HERE.
Collection Velvet Kiss Lip Cream in 'Caramel' - Another nude lipstick I've been loving that also deviates from my usual matte liquid lip uniform, kinda, is this offering from Collection. I say 'kinda', as it is still a liquid lip cream texture, but much like the NYX Soft Matte Lip Creams, it doesn't fully, fully dry down. This is a lovely warm, mid-toned caramel-y (good name) brown that really flatters my skin-tone, is opaque in one layer and as I said, dries down and locks into place but still feels comfortable and hydrating on the lips and is less 'full-on' as a proper, matte liquid lip. MENTIONED HERE.
BEST BOLD LIP - Maybelline Super Stay Matte Ink Liquid Lipstick in 'Pioneer' - This is another liquid lip formula I tried out during 2017 that I also fell in love with - but this time, more so for their darker and bolder shades. I decided to slot this in here as it was definitely a bold lip favourite of mine this year, but also because it varies slightly for the other matte liquid lipsticks I've talked about. It does dry down, but not to that powdery matte finish like the others I love - it's still got a slight shine to it. However, for some reason, is still completely transfer-proof and lasts just as well, if not possibly even better. What?! Usually, if a liquid lip doesn't fully dry down, it moves everywhere and doesn't last at all but this one truly locks into place and is actually a real struggle to remove too. Not only that; the deep, burgundy red colour is an absolute beaut, the formula is opaque in one coat and it also smells like chocolate. What more could you want? I really want to pick up some more shades of these in 2018. MENTIONED HERE.
BEST SETTING SPRAY - Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray - Again, we all knew this would be making an appearance here, didn't we? This is just 'The One' for me when it comes to setting spray. It may well be pricier, but the mist is so super-fine, you need just a few sprays at a time (so it lasts quite a long while too) and seriously, this stuff does not play around when it comes to keeping your makeup on and as fresh as when you first applied it, all day long. MENTIONED HERE.
BEST FALSE LASHES - Fleur De Force X Eylure 'Fleur and Fabulous' Lashes - Last, but certainly by no means least - Lashes. I have had so many styles I have loved during 2017, but honestly, the ones which I have been obsessed with - and worn - the most have of course been these ones from the lovely Fleur's range with Eylure. They're super dramatic, but are still at the same time totally wearable. They're really lightweight and comfortable on the eyes and the tips are subtly tapered and so still look soft and feathery and I just adore them. If I ever need a pair of falsies - these are the style I gravitate towards instantly. MENTIONED HERE.
BEST MAKEUP TOOL Maybelline Master Fixer Makeup Correcting Pen - This was a fab little purchase in 2017 - great for correcting any makeup mistakes and mishaps - especially for liquid eyeliner. It's relatively quick and easy to use (especially if you're doing your eyes first, as it doesn't take off any makeup underneath) and just works brilliantly well. Something I'd never thought about before, but now I have it, it's become quite a staple in my stash. MENTIONED HERE.

Nails:

BEST NAIL POLISHES - Like last year, and I think the year before that, as I loved and used so many nail colours during 2017, I decided that, rather than just rattling off a load of polishes I've loved in 2017, I would instead choose my favourite, favourite for each season in an *attempt* to keep thing more simple and structured. Also, whilst we're here - if you fancy a more in-depth look at any of these (as well as all the other polishes I loved this year), check out my 'Polish Pick' posts I did throughout the year here.

BEST NAIL TOOL - Essence Nail Corrector Pen - We all know how obsessed I used to be with the Barry M Nail Corrector Pen. I went through a couple of them and when I last went to repurchase a few months back, I couldn't find it anywhere. I still can't, so I presume its been discontinued - boo! However, with every cloud comes a silver lining and this time, that silver lining has to be finding this offering from Essence as its replacement. Now I've come to use it, I actually think I might even prefer it - the combination of the nibs and formula seems to clean my nails up even quicker and easier and the sweet scent is far nicer too. Winner, winner!
BEST NAIL CARE PRODUCT - Barry M So Cute-Icle! Cuticle Oil - Another new discovery this year has been this cuticle oil from Barry M. I have never actually used a proper cuticle oil on myself before, but since becoming a Nail Technician in 2016 and having one in my professional kit, this year I figured I should really invest in one for my own personal use too. And then Barry M came out with this product, the stars aligned and I am really glad they did. Not only does this stuff smell amazing, it also does a great job of softening and moisturising my cuticles and nail bed - and nail area in general too. The brush applicator makes applying it a breeze and I honestly really notice the difference when using it aswell. MENTIONED HERE.
BEST HAND CREAM - Soap and Glory 'Hand Food' Hand Cream - Is there ever a year when the Soap and Glory Hand Food doesn't make it into my favourites? This is an all-time classic and I don't think I've ever tried a hand cream that beats it. It's thick, but not too thick; sinks in without leaving my hands feeling greasy and sticky for hours on end and yet really intensely hydrates my hands and nails at the same time. A little goes a really long way and it's pretty affordable too.
BEST BASE COAT/NAIL PRIMER - Essence 'Clean and Start' Nail Cleanser - This year, I tried something a little different - a nail cleanser. Again, this purchase was inspired by becoming a Nail Technician and with it being another key item in my kit - I once again figured I should really buy something like it for my personal stash. And though a tad skeptical at first (with it being far cheaper than my professional version and also being utilised for simple nail polish as opposed to proper nail 'systems' like Gel or Acrylic), I am really happy I tried it out. It disappears almost as soon as you apply, so you'd be forgiven in thinking it wouldn't do much, but I actually do notice a major difference in how long my nails last. MENTIONED HERE.
BEST TOP COAT - Barry M Plumpy Hi-Shine Gelly Top Coat - Finally, for a top coat, I have gone back to an old favourite this year with this one from, again, Barry M. It's just a really good, finishing step - locking my nail polish into place, whilst also making things look super-shiny. It's easy to apply, not too thick or gloopy and just makes my nails look really lovely and glossy - and keeps them that way for considerably longer too. 

Tools:

BEST MAKEUP BRUSHESI don't think it's any major surprise that nearly all of these are from Real Techniques. My all-time favourite brand; their brushes are not only affordable, but also amazing quality and I'm yet to find one I've been disappointed by. However, there are a couple of random inclusions from Zoeva and also a slightly random (but also pretty bargainous) steal from Essence too. And while my brush stash is ever-growing and I have a lot, a lot of favourites - I have tried my best to whittle them down into my Top 10 of 2017, so here goes...
  • Real Techniques Blush Brush - the brush I always go to when bronzing up my skin in a general, but still somewhat precise way.
  • Real Techniques MultiTask Brush - my go-to for powdering the skin just the way I like to - in more specific, precise ways!
  • Real Techniques Duo-Fibre Contour Brush - the brush I always use for contouring - because it is duo-fibre, it picks up just the right amount of product, you can build things up or sheer things out and it allows for a really seamless blend too.
  • Real Techniques Setting Brush - awesome for a tonne of uses - from setting designated area of the face, to buffing in creams and powder products such as concealer, contour and even highlighter.
  • Real Techniques Angled Highlighter Brush - my favourite brush for getting my glow-on and really packing on and also buffing out that highlighter - whether it be cream, liquid or powder.
  • Real Techniques Bold Metals 200 Oval Shadow Brush - a super large flatter brush that's great for swiping colour all-over the lid.
  • Essence Eye Blender Brush - a new find in 2017 that's become my go-to for that first step transition shade of my eyeshadow.
  • Real Techniques Bold Metals 203 Tapered Shadow Brush - an awesome fluffy, but also slightly dense eyeshadow brush that can be used for packing colour on and blending it out at the same time.
  • Real Techniques Deluxe Crease Brush - my go-to for applying my thick, cream concealer from Rimmel.
  • Real Techniques MultiTask Eye Brush - a larger, super fluffy brush great for adding definition in the crease.
  • Real Techniques Domed Shadow Brush - an awesome flat brush for packing on colour on the lids - especially shimmers -  for that super-intense, almost foiled effect.
  • Real Techniques Essential Crease Brush - a smaller crease brush, perfect for adding even more definition and depth to the crease/outer corners of the eyes.
  • Zoeva 231 Luxe Petit Crease Brush - perfect for highlighting precise areas like the inner corners of the eyes and the brow-bone.
  • Real Techniques Shading Brush - my go-to for running shadows on the lower lashline and adding definition and smoking things out.
  • Real Techniques Detailer Brush - awesome for precisely shaping, carving out and cleaning up around my lips, eyebrows or eyeliner.
  • ...and of course, I have also continued to be obsessed with my Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge (and also the Mini Eraser Sponges too!) Awesome for bopping in my foundation and concealer.

BEST BRUSH CLEANER(S)Dr Bronner Organic Castile Liquid Soap and The Pro Hygiene Collection Antibacterial Makeup Spray - These have been mentioned in my yearly favourites basically ever since they first began, I think, and my brush cleansing routine has still not changed, so obviously they're here once again, being given a well-deserved shout out. The former is my go-to for deep cleaning my brushes; whilst the latter is my favourite for spot-cleaning my (mainly eye) brushes. Both are great, get the job done, aren't too expensive and last a while before you need to repurchase too.
I have, however become obsessed with the Real Techniques Brush Cleansing Palette in 2017 in terms of actually cleaning them. This handy little palette makes deep-cleaning brushes an absolute breeze, as opposed to a chore. No, really. Simply pop some brush cleaner in it, wet your brush, swirl it over the different patterns in the palette and rinse until clean, squeeze out the excess water and leave to dry and honestly, my brushes have never been so clean than when I use this thing.
Shadow Switch - Another addition to my brush cleaning routine in 2017 was this little device. I kept seeing people rave on about these things and eventually, gave into the hype and bought one myself - and I am so glad I did. This is the perfect, 'in the middle' fix - especially for my eye brushes. Sometimes, even though the brush cleaning spray does dry pretty quickly, it doesn't do so instantly and so, I still have to leave them to dry for a little while afterwards. However, with this, whilst it doesn't clean my brushes as thoroughly - it does take any pigment and colour out, so I can use  different colours on the same brush, without them mixing up with each other in the process. So, for the time when I want to clean an eye brush, and then use it again straight away - this has become an essential for me. MENTIONED HERE.

So there we have it! I hope you all enjoyed delving into Part 1 of my 2017 Favourites and as I said at the start of this post, Part 2 will be coming up on Friday! Let me know what your favourites of the year have been in the comments below and I will see you then, as I talk through my top picks from 'Bath and Body, Haircare and Skincare' of 2017...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS