navigation

Monday 5 February 2018

The Big Makeup Declutter: Eye Products


On Friday (a.k.a. my last post) I kicked off my three-part, mini 'series' where I talk you through all of the makeup I have recently sifted out from my collection. Last week, for possibly the very first time ever (like, since I started buying/collecting makeup around 5/6 years ago), I finally got round to sitting down and going through every single item of makeup I own, clearing out anything unwanted, unused or just generally unloved and I figured, why not share what I chose to get rid of with you lovely lot? As you can imagine, Friday was all about all of the Face Products I cleared out (and you can check it out here if you missed it), today's is focused entirely on Eyes, whilst Wednesday is where all of my Lip Products that I have decluttered take centre stage. So, if you fancy seeing all about the Eye Products that no longer float my boat - just keep on reading...

First up, I found a fully-empty NYX Micro Brow Pencil hanging around and so that was one of the first things I said goodbye to. This isn't what I'm currently using to fill my brows in, but it's a great brow pencil nevertheless. Another brow product I decided to clear out was the Rimmel Brow This Way Brow Highlighter. I just do not get my use out of this - if I ever want to highlight my brow bone or inner corners of my eyes, I simply take whatever highlighter I'm sing that day on a smaller brush and get going so I never really find myself reaching for this at all. I also decided to finally throw away the Collection Primed and Ready Illuminating and Reviving Eye Primer. I've had it sitting in my stash for a while and it just doesn't work for me, at all. The weird, slimy texture makes eyeshadow actually apply and wear worse than if I was to go without (hello, #CreaseCentral) and it just doesn't even compare to my faithful UD Primer Potion.

Then, we come to Eyeshadow. The part which was definitely the most time-consuming and difficult for me - and probably the most 'interesting' for you lovely lot. Much like everyone else, I own a lot of eyeshadows - singles and palettes. Like, a lot. And over time, I've found new favourites that have replaced ones which were, at one time, go-to's. So, I was well-overdue a (not so) little clear-out in this department - so here we are. Single shadow-wise, I generally love, love, LOVE the Maybelline Color Tattoo Gel-Cream Eyeshadows, but there was two shades in my collection that I just don't love or get my use out of as much - 'Fantasy' (a taupe-y shimmer) and 'Breathless' (a light shimmery gold). For some reason, both of these newer shades just don't live up the high standard of the original colours. The colours are a little patchy and the formula a tad greasey-feeling and I think I'd rather stick to the ones I already know and adore. Then, moving onto Palettes - the most lengthy part of it all, fo' sho'. I decided to clear out all of the Maybelline 'The Nudes' Palettes that I owned as while at one time they were staples for me, over time I have definitely found better colour selections and powder formulations and honestly, Maybelline shadows just aren't the best for me anymore. I donated the original 'The Nudes' to my lovely Mum, whose own has definitely seen better days, whilst 'The Blushed Nudes' and 'The Rock Nudes' both saw the beauty bin. I also decided to bin the Primark Nudes Eyeshadow Palette as this has to be the worst quality palette I ever tried. The shadows are dusty and chalky and not all all pigmented and honestly, I am pretty pleased to finally see this make its way out of my collection. Similarly, I have an AVON Palette kicking about that I can't even recall where I got from and I simply do not use and do not find the quality to be that great. I also have the MUA 'Hall Of Fame' Palette, that I picked up a few years ago, have only lightly used and have never really been that enthralled or impressed by. The shadows are ok, but over time I've certainly found better and I don't like how most of this palette is shimmer-based - and I think that may well be part of the reason why I don't tend to reach for it at all. I love me a good matte shadow or two thrown in there for the crease and outer corners. Then, I have a couple of eye palettes from Collection that I never really use. The Eyes Uncovered Palette in 'Nude' is comprised of such basic colours that I have in virtually ever other palette I own (and a lot of the time, in better formulations too), whilst the 'Nude Grey' is mainly made up of colours I simply do not like. I have a couple of their other 'Eyes Uncovered' Palettes still kicking around that I do love and use a lot, but those two just aren't for me anymore. Also from Collection (I promise it's nothing personal!) I also decided to clear out their #YourStyleYourMood Palette. I really enjoyed this when I first got it a couple of years back (?!) but nowadays, it just doesn't tend to make its way out of my palette drawer. Since then, I've added palettes to my collection with similar (if not identical) colours (their Nude Rose palette is basically exactly the same as the pinky half of this palette) and not only are the pans of most palettes bigger pans, the quality is often better too.

For Eyeliners, I mainly cleared out kohl liners in my collection. I don't use them as much as liner liner, so generally if I came across any 'dupes' - I cleared out my least favourite, formula-wise. So, I said goodbye to the Rimmel Scandaleyes Waterproof Kohl Liner in 'Nude', Seventeen's Eye Kohl in 'Purple', Collection's Intense Kohl Liner in 'Black' and a couple of the Avon Glimmerstick Liners in both 'Grey' and 'Black'Lash-wise, I have firstly binned the NYX Big and Loud Lash Primer - although this time around, it is simply because it has been all used up (or pretty much so and now has fully dried out). This stuff worked rather well and I definitely would consider repurchasing again if I fancied a mascara primer! For actual mascara's, I have chucked the Natural Collection Water Guard Mascara in 'Brown'. This was ok, but I never intended to pick up the brown variety (the black was the one I was a fan of) and since later discovering the likes of the MAC Extended Play Mascara - I doubt I'll be in the market for any lower lash mascaras that do the job, without smudging or flaking, anytime soon...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS