navigation

Wednesday 7 February 2018

The Big Makeup Declutter: Lip Products


Last week, I finally got round to having a well-overdue clear-out of my makeup collection and I figured - why not share all of the rejects with you lovely lot? I've already shared all things Face and Eyes here and here in my last two posts, so I think you can probably already tell that today's, the concluding post of this mini 'series', will be centred entirely on all of the Lip Products that I decided to say goodbye to. So, without any further ado, let's jump right on in...

First off, let's talk Lip Balms. I don't tend to use lip balm other than perhaps no makeup days or overnight as more of a 'treatment'. Other than that, they never tend to feature in my makeup - unless my lips are perhaps in a bad way, or I'm slapping on some makeup for a super-early morning at work. So, with them being one of my lesser-used products, I knew I wanted to really downsize my stash here and alongside a random pot lip balm that I really cannot remember where I even got from, I also decided to say goodbye to the Maybelline Baby Lips Lip Balm in 'Peach Kiss'. Of all of the 'Baby Lips' I own, this one is my least favourite and used. If I use a tinted lip balm, I personally prefer one with a little more 'colour' to them - and this one kinda just washes my lips out, which isn't ideal. Then, sticking kind of with the whole 'glossy' theme - we have Glosses - another type of formula that I don't wear as often. Nowadays, I tend to stick to matte lips (or at least matte-r lips) and glosses are more of a rarity to be worn, so again, this was another department I felt needed a sift-through. I actually opted to keep all of my other glosses in my stash as they are all in nice, neutral colours are so I am much more likely to actually wear them at some point (if I ever go for gloss, it's always a nude) and with this Soap and Glory Sexy Mother Pucker Lip Gloss in 'The Berry Thing' being much more of a bold, bright colour (something I always like to opt for in completely matte formulas), I just know I will never wear it.

Lipstick-wise, I also decided to clear out both of my Rimmel The Only 1 Lipsticks in 'Listen Up!' and 'Under My Spell'. Again, both of these are in deep, dark colours and unfortunately, the creamy, slightly-glossy formula just isn't what I look for when I want to wear colours like this on my lips. Things move around, aren't transfer-proof and wear away in an instant - so I'm afraid both of those just had to go. Similarly, I also cleared out a random Collection Lipstick (I don't even know the shade!). Not only is this very old (it literally gives my major throwbacks to my high school days), it's a deep red colour and again, it's creamy texture just means I'd never wear it nowadays. Finally for 'proper' lippies, I said goodbye to another random in my stash - a MUA Lipstick in 'Tulip' - as this pale, blue-based baby pink just isn't for me, a random AVON Lipstick that I cannot even remember where I got from and also the Seventeen Mirror Shine Lipstick in 'Beehive' (remember this one?!). This glossy, peachy-nude used to be the lipstick that everyone talked about years and years back and mine has finally reached its end, so it's time to wave goodbye!

Moving onto Lip Liners, I didn't know whether I'd actually have much to report from this department but actually, there were a handful which didn't make the cut. I had two Primark Lip Liners, so kept one and chucked the other and I also decided to get rid of another dusky-mauve shade entirely as it just isn't right for me and doesn't get used that often. I cleared out all of my MUA Lip Liners as the formula just isn't my favourite anymore and also decided to clear out all but one of my Rimmel Exaggerate Lip Liners as while I love the colours, the formula is very, very creamy and combined with the twist-up format - application is sometimes very difficult and more often than not, the pencil will break mid-way through. I still love the lip liners from Rimmel (hence why I still kept hold of my top pick from that line, 'East End Snob'), but the 1000 Kisses were always my ultimate favourite so I think I'll be sticking with those from now on. Kinda sticking with the 'pencil' format, but moving onto Lip Crayons - I decided to throw away my Barry M Gelly Hi-Shine Lips. The colours are lovely, but the formula is so sticky-feeling on the lips and over time, I've found plenty of products which have replaced the need for these in my stash. I also decided to clear out the Primark Velvet Matte Lip Pencil in 'Mushroom' as, again, the dusky-purple colour just doesn't work for me.

Finally, we come to Liquid Lipsticks - what are possibly my favourite and most-used category of lip products. I didn't think they're be too much to report from this department as generally, I love and use all of my collection a lot but when it came to it, there were a handful that I felt I could say goodbye to. I adore the NYX Lip Lingerie's, but the shade 'Bustier' is my least favourite colour I own and honestly, the dusky purple-brown just isn't my cup of tea so I decided to clear that colour out and I also really love the Sleek Matte Me's, but the colours 'Apricot Blooms' and 'Shabby Chic' are, again, the two colours I reach for the least out of all of the shades I own. The former is a lovely colour, but a little patchy on the lips, whilst the latter is very similar to 'Bustier' - a dusky mauve - and it's just too cool-toned on the lips for me. Similarly, I also really love the Maybelline Super Stay Matte Ink's, but the shade 'Dreamer' just doesn't work for me. A pale, baby pink doesn't really suit me and for some reason, the formula of this colour isn't as pigmented as all of the other awesome shades I own. I also decided to clear out both of the shades I own of the NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipsticks. These claim to be 'liquid lipsticks' but don't dry down to a fully, powdery-matte-type situation and therefore, I just never find myself reaching for them. The colours I have - 'Sandstorm' and 'Soft Spoken' - are really lovely nude tones, but I have similar colours in better formulas for me, so I'm afraid it was time to say goodbye to both of those. While I was there, I also decided to throw away both of my Primark Super Matte Liquid Lipsticks. Now, these I really did not like. The colours are quite nice and pigmented in one layer, but they are so, so drying. I mean, I like a powdery-matte liquid lip but these take that up a notch too far and are just straight-up uncomfortable to wear on the lips - plus they look super dry too. Another formula that really disappointed me and honestly, I was pretty eager to say goodbye to come this clear-out was the Maybelline Vivid Matte Liquid (I had the shade 'Nude Thrill'). These claimed to be a matte liquid lipstick, but they are anything but. They does not dry down at all and feel so heavy, sticky and cakey on the lips. I definitely do not recommend them, at all...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS