navigation

Friday 23 March 2018

Battle Of The Concealers - Collection Lasting Perfection VS Makeup Revolution Conceal And Define


Remember back at the start of the year when I discovered (and became obsessed with) the Makeup Revolution Conceal and Define Concealer? As soon as I tried it for the very first time, I knew it was a new favourite of mine and believe it or not, it soon replaced my iconic Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer. I know, I know - I never thought it'd happen either. But it really did, and the love as so major that I didn't know whether I would ever reach for my beloved Lasting Perfection again. However, not long after they finally came out with a couple of new shades - one being '01 Extra Fair', a lighter hue than the original 'lightest' shade that I always used, '01 Fair'. Personally, while 'Fair' always worked alright for me as a 'skin' shade, there were times when I did wish there was a slightly lighter colour available for areas such as under my eyes where I want an ever-so-lighter colour to brighten things up a little more and maybe, just maybe, this colour would be exactly that, at last? There was only ever one way to find out and so I decided to pick it up and not only trial it out as a concealer in its own right, but also finally compare it to my new favourite from Makeup Revolution...

Shade-wise, it's clear that Makeup Revolution wins, every time. Their 18-shade strong line-up is diverse and inclusive (plus, they should be launching even more colours very soon too!), whilst Collection, even having added a couple of new colours, have only five available in the range - and honestly, they're not the best. The darkest shade is still not even dark enough to encompasses all of you deeper guys and gals out there and even in terms of the lighter colours, the undertones available are super limited. So, I guess that's a plus point to Makeup Rev on that one. Regarding the packaging and general set-up, both come in a plastic tube - Collection's is thinner and taller, Makeup Revolution's is shorter and wider - and that reflects in their applicators too. We all know Makeup Rev's is a supposed 'dupe' for the Tarte Shape Tape with it's super large doe foot and whether it is or not (I personally have never tried Tarte's offering, or seen it in real life), over time, I've definitely come to prefer it. It makes application super quick and easy - especially under the eyes - and its super-soft texture never drags or pulls on the skin either.

But I guess what we're all wondering about is - the formula. We all know that I've always been a fan of the Lasting Perfection in terms of it being an amazing concealer in terms of its formula, texture and finish that rivals tonnes of brilliant concealers that are more than double the price tag. And so far, I've found this new shade to be just as good on that front. A little goes a really long way, it blends out really easily with both a brush or beauty sponge (though nowadays, I tend to prefer using the latter) and it's got a really nice finish. It definitely sets down, but not super matte - it just looks skin-like, yanno? - and so, for my dry skin-type, it sits and wears really nicely throughout the day. Basically, it's a really good concealer, formula-wise, and I think it'll always have a space in my makeup-loving heart. But, what about Makeup Rev, right? Well, they're pretty similar - hence why I think I fell in love with this one so much when trying it out. The formula is a tad thicker and less 'watery' but it glides on the skin super-easily with minimal effort thanks to the super soft and enlarged applicator. I find because of the slightly thicker formula, I can get away with using slightly less product with this concealer and it provides such a full coverage - which I am always after in a concealer. Despite the amazing coverage, it still blends out like a dream though and unlike the Lasting Perfection, properly 'sets' down and has a slightly more matte finish, though not intensely so (thankfully, having dry skin myself). All in all, another awesome concealer - and another awesome procepoint. Makeup Rev's is even more afordable at just £4.00 per bottle, but it also comes in at slightly less product so I suppose there's swings and roundabouts to the whole thing, eh?

Overall, I think we've all gathered by now that I adore both of these concealer - even Collection have won back some brownie points having recently added a fairer shade to their line-up. However, I think, at least for now, Makeup Rev is where I will be staying. I think the coverage is just ever-so-slightly higher and I do kinda prefer the super-smooth finish it gives too. But, that's not to say I don't still love Collection's offering and will most likely come back to it again at some point in the future when I fancy a change. After all, it's always good to switch things up in makeup every now and again, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS