navigation

Monday 27 August 2018

Contouring - My Go-To Brushes


A few weeks back, I went through all of my current, go-to highlighting brushes - why I love 'em, how they all work differently but yet all still give that same, blinding finish that I love and just generally, why you definitely need them in your life. So, I thought it was a good idea to do the same thing, but for contouring this time round. The same set-up, all of my favourite brushes that are all different from one another, and yet all do an awesome job of sculpting, chiselling and defining the face. Let's go...

REAL TECHNIQUES DUO FIBRE CONTOUR BRUSH - My current favourite that's been so for a while now is this offering from Real Techniques. The rounded, small-ish shape fits into the hollows of the cheekbones - and also just generally around the 'typical' areas for contouring such as around the temples and jawline - perfectly, the tapered shape gives just the right amount of precision and the 'duo-fibre' set up picks up just the right amount of product, whilst also blending things out effortlessly too. All in all, it's a winner...

NYX PROFESSIONAL MAKEUP PRO 06 FAN BRUSH - A slightly more recent-ish addition to my brush pot that I added to my collection a few months back and have been enjoying trying, using and just generally experimenting with ever since is this one from NYX. Now, this is a completely different shape and general set-up to the above. A giant fan brush that's super densely-packed, this gives a super pigmented, cut contour in seconds. The fan shape really hugs the areas of your face you want to add dimension and shadow to and though it's definitely a more full-on finish than the above, used with the right amount of product and a light hand, you can build things gradually. It also has dual-fibres and so whilst it does pack the product on, it also blends it really well too. So, though it does add a lot of definition and colour, you're never left with a muddy contour that looks way too much, yanno?

REAL TECHNIQUES SCULPTING BRUSH - A proper oldie, but goldie - this was one of my first brushes I tried out using for contouring when it became a big thing a few years back and I wanted to give it a go myself. I used it pretty religiously with my powder contour products (which are what I tend to use most days/most regularly) but actually, over time I've come to realise that this brush is actually best for me when paired with cream and liquid contours. It's so densely-packed that it blends out those textures easily and effectively, but without moving them around and sheering them out too much, whilst the angled cut fits into the hollows of the cheekbones, temples and jawline really well too. So, basically, if it's a brush to use in conjunction with your creams and liquids contouring-wise, this is the one to go for...

REAL TECHNIQUES TARGETED BLENDING BRUSH - Finally, we have another designated suggestion. Whilst I have plenty of brushes I love to use for most of my contouring, when it comes to one area in particular, there's only really one brush that I like to use, at least at the moment that is. I only really got into contouring my nose a year or so ago and so far, this is the one brush I enjoy using the most. I don't like to overly contour my nose, but I do like to add a little bit of extra definition and shape, mainly towards the top and this brush works perfectly for just that. Yes, the dense bristles and flat cut means it can apply the colour a little more heavier, but used with a light hand and followed up with a quick blend with a clean fluffy brush (the Real Techniques Setting Brush is my personal fave), it actually gives the perfect mix of precise definition, but without looking like you've got two muddy stripes down your snout. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS