navigation

Monday 30 March 2015

March: Loves and Lusts


It's the end of the month and so that can only mean one thing round these parts - another round of 'Loves and Lusts'! If you're a regular reader then you'll know the deal by now, if you're new - hello! This series entails me basically listing everything I've loved in the past month and also spilling the beans on some of the beauty bumf I've been lusting after. If you didn't see my last two 'Loves and Lusts' posts that I did then I will link them up here. Ready for March's edition? Let's get into it...

What I've Loved:

Bourjois Colourband 2-in-1 Eyeshadow and Liner  in '02 Mauve Baroque' - I mentioned this beauty back in February when I did my 'New In At The Drugstore' post and also talked about it here a few posts back after I'd given it a good trial run. In short, as you'd guess, these are new from Bourjois and they're pretty darn good. A cream eyeshadow in pencil format with the ability to be either drawn over the lid as a shadow or concentrated at the lashline as a liner, I particularly fell in love with this lilac shade with a touch of silver shimmer running through it. This perhaps wouldn't lend itself so much towards the liner side of things, but swiped all over as a one-wash-wonder type thing and then we're talking. The ease of application of these is fab for the price, they blend effortlessly and once they've dried down - they ain't budging.

Maybelline Color Show Rebel Bouquet Nail Polish in 'Bouquet' - I included this new polish from Maybelline's new 'Rebel Bouquet' range also in the same 'New In' post and in a Polish Pick here. This features a mix of smaller and larger pink, white and rose gold glitter flecks suspended in a clear polish base - making this a perfect glitter topcoat for the spring months.

Barry M Speedy Quick Dry Nail Paint in 'In A Heart Beat' - When first testing out the above I combined it with a paint from Barry M's newest nail range launch - Speedy Quick Dry. The concept is pretty clear - a range of nail shades with a special formula that dries in a fraction of the time and so cuts down on the whole 'doing your nails' thing. This shade is a typical type I gravitate towards, with it having that whole 'pinky-peachy with a hint of coral' thing down and only requiring two coats for everything to be fully opaque. The drying time is indeed speedy (although less so the more coats you apply), the finish is super glossy and the wear time ain't so bad either.
Barry M Gelly Hi-Shine Nail Paint in 'Sky Blue' - Another new release from Barry M, this time one from their Spring/Summer Gelly Collection. This was perhaps less of an obvious choice, as pastel nails aren't always my thing, but on first look this seemed slightly different to me in that in the bottle it didn't appear too pale in colour. On its first trial run (in a Polish Pick post here) I was proven correct and this shade manages to sit just right on the spectrum of being a pastel without making my hands look anaemic. If anything, I actually remember keep admiring my own nails at every given opportunity whilst wearing this as if anything it did a darn good job of perking everything up. As with (nearly) all the Gelly's I've used, this applied easily in two coats, dried down to a high-shine finish and lasted a good few days without a chip in sight.

Barry M Plumpy Topcoat - This new topcoat, from what I can work out, aim to emulate the formula of their coloured gel polishes in a clear version and so give pretty much any polish you like the 'Gelly' finish. I paired this with 'Sky Blue' and as this was a Gelly formula it perhaps didn't need it, but for trial purposes I gave it a go anyway. This help to add even more shine to the finish of my nails (which I personally didn't think would be possible) and if I think about it, probably did help them stay chip-free for longer. When I've got the time and patience - this will certainly be getting whipped out.

Rimmel Salon Pro Polish in 'Hip Hop' - A polish not from Barry M at last, but still keeping in very much with a range we all know I love by now. I fell head over heels for the Rimmel Salon Pro nail range earlier this year and am so glad I did. This shade is the newest addition to my ever-growing collection and a post all about it will be coming your way at the start of next month so keep your eyes peeled if you want to see this beauty in more detail...
Soap and Glory Thick and Fast Mascara - This is a little more of an afterthought inclusion, as I first started using this last month, and to be honest - I wasn't that much of a fan. The formula on first application is very, very wet and it's only the last few weeks that it started to dry out and do that thing mascaras often like to do - do a much better job about halfway into its usage life. This did just that and I've been noticing the more I use it, the better it's got and so if we're talking do I love it now? Sure thing I do.
Benefit POREfessional and That Gal - I've used these two before, having them in a sample size from a set I got last year. I loved them both as primers individually for different reasons - one more for perfecting and pore-minimising, the other more for its illuminating properties - but I'd never tried them together. One day this month I applied POREfessional around the usual areas to smooth things out. I then applied a small amount of That Gal to the high points of my face - tops of my cheekbones, cupid's bow, centre of my nose - and I found afterwards when applying foundation this really gives such a lovely effect. Using both, it gives the 'best of both worlds' in making everything much more smooth, seamless and long-lasting without losing any dimension and glow. This is most definitely a combo I'll be using time and time again from now on.

Batiste Dry Shampoo in 'Blush' - Another favourite I've loved before and now love once more, I've used Batiste many a time in the past when in a serious 'My hair needs a wash but I really cannot be bothered to' situation. This has always come to my rescue with its oil-absorbing properties and recently when trying to extend the time between when I usually wash my hair, this has once again come in handy. I picked this 'Blush' scent up in rush and didn't give I much thought, but I do like it for being floral without being too much like I've been transported to a stately home.

What I'd Love To Have:

MAC Cinderella Collection - from £16.00-£23.00 - This entire range has really been everywhere this past month as MAC's latest collaboration with Disney hit the shelves. I believe most if not all of the items have sold out so I perhaps aren't including this with any realistic aims of owning any of the items myself, but more an acknowledgment of the fact that everything I've seen/heard of them from everyone who does has just been dreamy.

L'Oreal True Match Foundation - £9.99 - A firm fave in the bloggersphere when it comes to bases in the drugstore. Pretty much everyone has given this a go at some point and come back with rave reviews, some even citing it as a potential dupe for a certain higher end foundation - I'm looking at you Giorgio Armani. Whenever I've seen it in action in videos or blog photos the results just look very flawless but without things being too heavy and the skin still retaining some vitality to it, and with a vast colour selection - how can you go wrong?

Essie As Good As Gone Clarifying Nail Polish Remover - £3.99 - I saw this mentioned a few times over the past month from Anna, where she's raved on and on about how this is her new favourite remover of choice when it comes to taking off that nail polish. As she acknowledged - a slightly strange thing to rave about, but if you think about it, the amount of times we paint our nails should in itself justify the need for a remover that really gets the job done. And that's exactly how she describes this newbie from Essie as being and with my current bottle soon to be running out, perhaps now is the time to try something different, and possibly better.

Soap and Glory Supercat Eyeliner Pen - £6.00 - Another one that constantly does the rounds in the beauty community. Pretty much all of us are always on the hunt for that perfect liquid eyeliner housed in the perfect set-up that just makes eyeliner application a dream and with longevity that means it just does not budge all day. I know, we're a fussy bunch. I'd agree that I'm yet to find that ideal product for myself, partly because of my declining interest in liquid over the last two-ish years. I keep wiling myself to try and revive my love for it again though. In terms of drugstore offerings, many cite this as one of their top picks, so perhaps this liner might help me in doing that.

Urban Decay Naked Skin Concealer - £17.50 - Lily Pebbles has been constantly raving about this concealer over the past few weeks, as it replaces her love for the NARS one that I mentioned in last month's 'Lusts' category.

By Terry Ombre Blackstar Cream Eyeshadow Sticks - £29.00 - It seems cream eyeshadow sticks are really having their moment right now, with these perhaps being the original that well an truly sparked the hype off. Whilst Bourjois and other drugstore brands offer very good, cheaper alternatives, these By Terry ones are constantly raved about by bloggers for being even more amazing. And they have a wind-up mechanism as opposed to the standard ones you have to annoyingly sharpen - surely that's gotta be a good sign?

Rimmel Exaggerate Liner in 'Eastend Snob' - £3.99 - Finally concluding with what has to be the trend of the year so far - Kylie Jenner lips. If you're into your MAC and even able to get your hands on some of the products she supposedly actually uses then you'll be familiar with the Whirl's, Soar's and Spice's, but if like many of us you simply can't get your hands on them this Rimmel liner is apparently a good substitute. A 'my lips but better shade' you can use to either stay within your natural shape and colour all over for that whole 'pinky-brown nude lip' thing, or use to go slightly over those lines to really plump up that pout. Either way, I've been eyeing this one up for a while and with the (gradual) change in weather causing me to retreat back to my neutral lip draw, it may have to happen. Soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS