navigation

Wednesday 20 May 2015

Polish Pick: Maybelline Color Show Nail Polish in 'Bouquet'




When I came to writing this post it got me thinking how I don't actually believe I've ever done a 'Polish Pick' post about a lacquer of the glitter variety. However, when I come to think about it - this one I've got for you today has been by far one of my most used and most loved over the last month (and pretty much ever since I first brought it home with me to be honest). If you're a regular reader round here you've probably seen it crop up a few times before, but today I'm coming at ya with a post entirely about it's wonderfulness (is that even a word? Who knows)...

It is of course the Maybelline Color Show Polish in 'Bouquet'. Released as part of their recent 'Rebel Bouquet' theme launch within the brand, along with a few new polish shades this one was added to the collection and immediately caught my eye when perusing my local Boots one day back in March (I think?). It was straight away thrown into my basket and has basically been the only glitter I've been reaching for ever since.
 
Not long after I first purchased it, it featured in this 'Polish Pick' where I combined it with one of Barry M's Speedy Nail Paints and really liked the finish they both gave when put together. The creamy coral paired with the lighter sparkle tones just looked gorgeous (even if I do say so myself) and made for a really 'Spring' appropriate take on glitter - as opposed to the darker berry-and-gold combinations we typically see a lot of around Christmas-time.

Then, only a couple of weeks ago when it came to me deciding what nail look I was to sport on my birthday - surprise, surprise - out it came again, this time paired with a recent addition to my collection - Rimmel's Salon Pro in 'Red Ginger', a beautiful rich raspberry pink. Unlike last time, I tried a different technique and applied it in an 'ombre glitter' style - where the glitter graduates in density towards the tip of the nail. Despite Rimmel's offering being the complete polar opposite of the Barry M shade I previously married it with, it still gave a finish I absolutely loved the look of. If anything I actually perhaps preferred how the darker tones of 'Red Ginger' contrasted against the flecks of white, pale pink and rose gold in 'Bouquet.

Finally, when it came to my recent girlie afternoon tea for my birthday only this weekend (which you can read about here), I again wanted to paint my nails for the occasion and once again this glitter got layered up. After the previous success of the 'ombre' style I again went in with this technique with 'Bouquet', this time on a base of Collection's Hot Looks Polish in '' - a kind of happy medium between the two extremes of the other shades - and found this to actually be my favourite out of the three looks. While in some ways it could be said that the paler tones of the Barry M shade and the richer ones of Rimmel's made the glitter look a little 'washed out' or too stark - here it just seemed to 'gel' together with the base colour perfectly and made for what I'm dubbing the 'Barbie Glitter Nail'.

Come on Barbie, let's go party (ah, ah, ah yeah)! Ok, I'll stop now...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS