navigation

Wednesday 10 June 2015

Conquering Concealer

 
After this post back a few weeks ago when I talked how I go about what I believe to be the best mascara techniques, I thought today I'd kinda follow that one up with this post centred on my tips 'n' tricks on how to nail that concealer application for once and for all. Bring it on...

CHOOSE WISELY - I always feel like for concealer it's all down to the type you choose. You can use all the fancy-schmancy techniques you want that claim to give the most well-concealed-yet-still-natural-looking effect, but if you haven't chose a concealer that can do the job - well you know what. For me I think there are two general types that cover up's fall into - 'hard', such as ones that come in stick-form and 'liquid', such as ones that comes in a tube with doe-foot applicators. For me, I find the 'hard' ones to be best used for any pinpoint concealing or on more precise areas that you want a more fuller coverage - such as a isolated pesky blemish. The 'liquid' versions, on the other hand, I find are suited to more general concealing or areas where you may only want/need a lighter finish - particularly under the eyes.
 
LIGHTEN UP - Following on from the above point, I really do find applying concealer with a lighter hand does the trick nicely for achieving that 'covered but not cakey' finish. With the more loose, liquid-y formulas you perhaps do have more 'play' with it in that you could maybe go a little stronger on the coverage level and it still look presentable, but when it comes to the solid textures it helps to keep the coverage quite thin and instead build it up through simply layering these lighter veils until you achieve the result you want. Remember - *cliché klaxon* - you can add easily but not so much take away and less really is more!
 
GET DOWN 'N' DIRTY - Now we've dealt more with the concealer itself, let's move onto the tools you may employ to work alongside it. Although I am a massive fan of makeup brushes and do find they apply, blend and buff makeup in so much quicker than any other weapon of choice, when it comes to leaving the uttermost natural finish - you really cant beat your own set of digits. Whether it's the fact there's perhaps more direct contact and so more control or simply that the natural warmth from our fingers helps to heat up the concealer and thus help it to mesh more with the skin as opposed to sitting on top of it - I don't know. What I do know is that if I'm wanting to really rock that 'I woke up like 'dis' look that day or am preparing to work with a particularly stubborn product that just will not blend no matter how many brushes I take to it - that is where I start gettin' down 'n' dirty...

PAT OR BUFF? - If you do still wanna take the exclusively-brush-related route, then I have a suggestion for you. Think - how do you typically use it to apply your concealer? Are you a 'patter' or a 'buffer'? Maybe you use a combination of both, depending on what you fancy that day/how much time you have - but have you ever thought about how it may alter the actual effect and level of coverage you end up with? My theory is that you use the 'pat' where you really want to pack on the coverage and ensure the product you've just applied doesn't disperse into thin air, whereas 'buff' is perfect if you want to apply concealer to a larger area of the face and guarantees a slightly more sheered-out coverage level. Having troubles  as soon as you take a brush to your concealer? Try looking at the actual technique you use and maybe try modifying it accordingly from now on to see if it makes a difference...
 
SET THINGS INTO PLACE - As with anything base-wise - you've got to set it down somehow if you want it to stay in place, all day/night long. Even if you're completely against powders and like all all-over glowy finish - try investing in one purely for using on areas you've concealed/corrected - especially under your eyes where things are most prone to move about and it can all get a little #CreaseCentral. Using a powder in transparent formula on a smaller brush to focus it on only the areas you want it to go should make it undetectable to the naked eye and no one will ever know your momentarily cheated on your glowy preferences...
 
So there are just some of my own tips I've gradually picked up on over the years for finally conquering that concealer application! Have I missed anything? Do you find any other techniques to give the best finish? Let me know...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS