navigation

Friday 3 July 2015

Moment Of Makeup - The 'It's So Hot I Can't Deal' Edition

Excuse me stating the darn right obvious, but it's been majorly hot in the UK over the past few days. Like majorly, majorly hot. While I always look forward to the Spring/Summer months as soon as Winter rolls around and love the warmer weather, I'm also a bit of a #SweatyBetty so things can get a little difficult in the makeup department when I'm battling between not melting but wanting to look in some way presentable at the same time. This is where this kinda makeup menu is brought out from it's Winter hibernation. As soon as the weather starts to heat up - this is how I how attempt to marry those two factors together...

I start by really moisturising my skin, like really going for it - I personally use the Nivea Sensitive Day Cream (which also comes with added SPF - added bonus). As I'm skipping foundation altogether (shocker), I want my skin to be as naturally aesthetically pleasing as possible and so find the best way to go about this is by really bringing it in the hydration department. This also helps to add a lovely, natural glow to the face akin to what you typically associate with Summer makeup looks. I then like to apply a thin layer of a hydrating primer (I really enjoy the Rimmel Lasting Finish Primer as it doesn't really feel like a primer at all - more like a moisturiser) to really keep up that glow, leave a nice base for my makeup and also prolong its wear as makeup commonly tends to slip off my face in hot climates. Like I said, I tend to skip foundation when I'm going for a lighter look so move on straight to concealer. I like to use two types (excessive?) - one more liquid-y one to almost act as a foundation would in areas I need the coverage (typically the Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer but as it's currently nowhere to be found and my one is practically finished, I've been using the L'Oreal True Match Concealer) and a thicker, heavier one to use on more stubborn areas (I love the Rimmel Lasting Finish Concealer for this job). I then lightly powder using the Rimmel Stay Matte Powder simply to set where I've concealed and keep application generally minimal so as to maintain the glow to my skin. To finish off my face I skip blush as my cheeks naturally flush in the Summer months and highlighter too as my skin already has a nice sheen to it from all the glow-giving products I've employed. Instead I go straight on to bronzer as this is a product I feel I cannot really skip. Being naturally pale, I like to have some warmth and definition to my face whatever the extremities of makeup I may be applying. I personally love the Soap and Glory Solar Powder Bronzer (it's all I've used ever since I got it at the start of the year). It's predominately matte so is great for both bronzing all-over or contouring slightly to add to shape and the two shades mean you can dial up or down the colour depending on your preference.

Moving onto eyes, and when the weather's warm I really like to keep things stripped back entirely when it comes to my eye makeup. Usually I'm all about the smokey eye or winged liner, but in situations like this I typically apply only mascara - yes, really. As it's the only thing I'm using on my eyes I like to really take my time with it to make my lashes look as good as they can be. I curl them with some cheap Boots Eyelash Curlers - putting them as close to the root of my lashes as possible, pressing them together gently before tilting them upwards and pumping them a few times. I then go in with a mascara to give me perfect long, curly and volumised lashes that open my eyes up and make my look more awake and add some much-needed definition. I've been loving the Too Faced Better Than Sex Mascara recently and especially in times like this, it's does-it-all properties come in particularly handy. While it doesn't state itself as being waterproof, I've worn it a few times now in the hot weather and it does. not. budge all day. Sometimes if I'm feeling a bit fancier, I may go in with a champagne eyeshadow simply in the inner corners of my eyes to brighten them up a little but other than that - that is it.

Finally - lips. Now, this is where I like to go a little bolder. As my base and eyes are so minimal, I personally find a somewhat 'bold' lip choice to be apt. Obviously, I'm not talking a full-on red lip here, but more of what I like to call a 'Nude Bold'. To get this I like to work the colour in to my lips more than simply applying it over the top of them to get both a more natural finish but also one that ultimately lasts far longer in the heat. For this I find the Barry M Gelly Lip Pencils are fab. They are naturally shiny in formula so provide a nice sheeny finish if that's what you'd prefer - but can be worked into the lips either by applying some in the centre and 'smooshing' outwards to fill in, or by applying all-over ad blotting with some tissue paper to full that shine down. The colours are also just awesome and despite them being formulated to be worn glossy, they really do pack a punch when it comes to pigmentation.

And that is it! The super-reductionist makeup that always gets cracked out whenever a heatwave arrives in England, which - let's be honest - isn't that often, but oh my does it come in handy whenever one does come our way...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS