navigation

Friday 5 May 2017

Moment Of Makeup - The Birthday Edition


Tomorrow it is actually my birthday - my 20th birthday, in fact! Yay! If you've read round here before, you'll know that I always like to use any excuse to go all out with my makeup and so, with that in mind, I thought I'd share with you lovely lot just what I'm gonna be slapping onto my face this time tomorrow. Let's get into it...

When I'm going full-on with my makeup, more often than not I'll, begin with my eyes first - just so I can really go 'in' and not worry about fall-out or any mess ruining my base makeup and also so I can easily clean up the edges to create a certain shape (i.e. a wing) beforehand too. So, starting with the ol' peepers, I'm gonna be priming them as usual with my beloved Urban Decay Primer Potion. This has been my favourite, go-to eye primer since basically the start of time and I cannot see that changing anytime soon. It evens things out, creates a nice base for eyeshadow and makes things more pigmented, blend more easily and last all day long without creasing or fading. I set it into place lightly using my Collection Primed and Ready Invisible Setting Powder before starting my actual eye makeup. I always like to do my brows first off as I find it to work as sort of framework for applying my eyeshadow and eyeliner and also - I just love it when my brows are on, ok? For this, I'm of course going to be filling them in using the NYX Micro Brow Pencil in a mix of the shades 'Ash Brown' and 'Espresso', before setting them down into place with my faithful L'Oreal Brow Artist Plumper in 'Medium/Dark'. For my birthday, I want to be using either my all-time holy-grail products, or at least my current favourites right now - and so for eyeshadow, I am mainly gonna be dipping into the MUA 'Burning Embers' Eyeshadow Palette. This immediately stood out to me as the perfect palette for my birthday makeup as it has a nice combination of creamy mattes and super-pigmented, metallic shimmers in all of the essential neutral shades, mixed with a few pops of colour - namely, some pretty, rosey tones. I really wanted to go for something pink-toned on my eyes - with me being a massive fan of those kind of colours - and so this compilation just called out to me. I firstly used the lightest, warmest shade in the palette as an initial transition shade in my crease, before starting to build things up using gradually darker colours and slightly smaller (but still fluffy) brushes to create more and more depth and smokey-ness. I actually switched in the new Makeup Revolution Flawless 3 Resurrection Palette for the majority of this as I got to the darker, deeper end as it contained more of the warm, reddy, pinky, orangey (you get the gist) ABH Modern Renaissance-type matte shades that I wanted to incorporate in my outer corner and crease to tie in with the whole 'rosey' theme (and the kind of pinky-toned shimmer I wanted to use on my lid). For my actual lid though, I moved back entirely into the MUA 'Burning Embers' Palette as it has a shed-tonne of shimmers that I love and picked up the rose gold-type shade on a flat brush, sprayed it lightly with some of the Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray (more from that later) to intensify the pigmentation and make it even more metallic-like and then packed it all over my entire lid space. I picked up some of the pinky matte shades to blend things together on the lid and then used the same technique that I used for the lid shade, only this time with a lighter, champagne gold, to get my inner corner and brow bone all poppin'. I mimicked almost exactly what i did on the upper lid on my lower lashline - deeper tones towards the outer edge, lighter, shimmery shades towards the inner corner and very centre - before creating a nice, fairly thick and dramatic feline flick using the Soap and Glory Supercat Liner and going in with lashings of L'Oreal's Miss Baby Roll Mascara in 'Black'. In the last few days I have cracked this open to try (my Lash Sensational is feeling like it's seen better days...plus I was just super eager to give the newest L'Oreal offering a go) and honestly - I am in love. I had seen and heard so many amazing things about this mascara so it's safe to say i had high hopes and thankfully, it more than lived up to the major hype surrounding it. This makes my lashes look so, so good. A couple (or maybe more) coats of this and the eyes are done! I will be applying lashes later on when I get ready to go out in the evening (Ardell Demi Wispies, FYI), but for the daytime the Baby Roll Mascara is more than enough for me.

Moving onto Base, I firstly primed my skin using my favourite primer right now - the Collection Primed and Ready Anti-Fatigue Illuminating Primer. This - as the name suggests - gives my skin a lovely, radiant glow and has a slight touch of shimmer to the formula, but once applied to the skin doesn't leave it looking glittery - just a natural sheen. It also goes a tad tacky and so provides the perfect base for applying your makeup to last all darn day long - just what I want for my birthday. I then wanted to go in with my all-time favourite foundation that I can always count on no matter what so I just had to plump for the Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation in '51'. This is my classic, go-to base for when I want to just put something on that I know will work and do the job. It gives a decent amount of coverage with a nice not too dewy, not too matte finish, it blends into and sits on the skin really nicely and lasts all day long. I take about a pump and a half of this, blend it it all over my entire face with my beloved Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge - using slightly more in the areas that need extra help - and it works like a dream. Then for concealer, again I just had to opt for an old favourite - Collection's Lasting Perfection in 'Fair'. I will never not be a fan of this stuff - it covers everything from bags to blemishes and everything in-between and so they are exactly the areas I will be applying it to - again, using the exact same beauty sponge. I then went in with my usual Rimmel Lasting Finish Concealer in 'Porcelain' for extra coverage in the very inner corners of my eye area where things are the darkest and on any blemishes that are still poking through, before setting the majority of my face using the same Collection Primed and Ready Invisible Setting Powder that I used earlier. Normally I would use that powder alone to mattify my skin and set my face for a long-lasting finish, but today, as I'm doing something a little extra special - I'm also gonna 'bake' my face slightly, namely my under-eyes. Instead of dusting the pressed powder there as usual, I'm going in with Rimmel's Match Perfection Loose Powder in 'Translucent' on one of my (slightly dampened) Real Techniques Mini Eraser Sponges - packing it on underneath my eyes in a thick layer, leaving it to 'bake' for a few minutes, before wiping away the excess. As I've said before, I don't tend to 'bake' on an everyday basis, but for special occasions, nights out and so on I like to do it as it really helps to lock things even more securely into place and also give a super-flawless effect that lasts and lasts and lasts without any creasing.

In terms of 'Finishing' the face, I'm first gonna contour using the NYX Blush in 'Taupe' - a major favourite of mine. Ever since I discovered this a few months back, it has been the main contouring product I have been reaching for and so it just had to be the one I used for my birthday, right? You know the deal - sculpting out the hollows of the cheeks, jawline, a tiny smidge on the nose and also slightly around the outer edge of the forehead/temples. Done. To bronze up my face and add some much-needed colour and warmth, I'm using Soap and Glory's 'Solar Powder' Bronzer - of course - in basically all of the areas I contoured, just a little more liberally and 'messily', before highlighting the crap out of my face. Oh yeah, I mean if you can't make yourself resemble The Tin Man on your birthday, when can you? To really make it 'pop' and shine all the way up to Space, I'm firstly going in using a touch of liquid highlighter as a base - Maybelline's Master Strobing Liquid in 'Light' - before topping things off with a glowy powder product that I always come back to, theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer. Together, they combine to make the ideal pinky, champagne, goldy-toned highlight that is super intense and glowy, but still very sheen-like and 'natural'-looking on the skin. Then, finally, for Lips I want to keep going along the whole rosey, pink theme we've got going on and so this time tomorrow, I'm pretty certain I'll be reaching for my favourite pink lip product right now - Sleek's Matte Me Lip Cream in 'French Fancy'. A bright, hot pink that's super flattering, fun and uplifting, combined with a super-matte finish that won't budge all day long - perfect. A quick spritz of the ol' Urban Decay All Nighter once again and we're done! What I'm planning on rocking for my birthday tomorrow - and possibly tomorrow night too unless I feel like re-doing it (#MakeupAddictProbs), minus a change of lip colour and addition of lashes of course...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS