navigation

Monday 30 November 2015

November: Loves and Lusts


It's the end of another month (already?) - so you all know what's coming next... It's 'Loves and Lusts' time again! If you're new round these parts of the Interwebz then I'll link up my other seven posts of this style I've done so far here so you can get a feel for how things work. If you're more of a regular reader though, I'm sure you know the deal by now, eh? Let's get started...

What I've Loved:

Clinique High Impact Mascara - Kicking this month's edition off with good 'ole makeup - one item I've really been loving slapping on my face (good technical term there) is this mascara. It was actually a freebie from this month's Glamour magazine that I picked up mainly for the fact Tanya Burr was on the cover and it was only when going to pick one up that I realised the selection of Clinique goodies on offer. From skincare to lipsticks to this lash offering - it was always gonna be the latter I opted for. I love trying out new mascaras and when they're in miniature form and effectively a freebie - what's to complain about? After trying it out, not much at all as I am in love. It's pretty much a 'do it all'-type jobby - bringing the length, volume, separation and lift all to the beauty table at once. It's a good'un.

Maybelline EyeStudio Colour Tattoo 24 Hr Cream Gel Eyeshadow in 'Metallic Pomegranate' - More on the eye front and one from a very much loved family makeup-wise - the Colour Tattoo cream eyeshadow range by Maybelline. Everyone and their dog loves these, right? I am certainly no exception, and this month another shade has finally found its way into my makeup collection and I am very glad of it indeed. I've been lusting after this shimmery cranberry hue for a while now, and with the Autumn/Winter months in full swing, I finally bit the beauty bullet and I have been loving slapping it on this month. As the name would suggest, it's a very shimmery, rouge-infused colour with the slightest hint of purple - yet it still manages to be very wearable once applied all over the lids and blended out. Like the others in the collection that I already own, the formula is just bang-on brilliant and for under a fiver a pop - I'd seriously recommend adding this shade (or different one) to your makeup bag.

Soap and Glory Supercat Eyeliner Pen - Onto liner and as I said in my last post (here), this past month I've upped the game liner-wise and have finally took the plunge back into liquid liner after a while of trying to get my flick on again in every other way possible (black eyeshadow, black kohl - more on that later). Since everyone seems to go on and on about this little beauty nowadays, this just had to be the one I plumped for on my mission o the Mothership, and I'm super glad it was. It's very similar to my last liner love - the L'Oreal Superliner Perfect Slim - in that it's a felt tip pen that's fairly on the small side so can be applied thinly or built up depending on how you like it, and it works just as well. The formula is very liquid-y and the nib just glides on without too much fuss, yet it still manages to not be messy in the process. The colour is super black and applies fairly opaque, but can be layered over if you feels it's a little patchy without the second coat taking off the first. Once applied, you have a little time to manoeuvre it and touch things up before it sets down and stays there. Oh yeah. I think I'm fully on the liquid liner train again, and I may just have found a new companion...

Collection Intense Colour Supersoft Kohl Pencil in 'Black Magic' - Finally for the peepers is this eyeliner that I mentioned in this post here. When I haven't been experimenting with the above liquid version, I've been using this and really enjoying doing so. Like the brown version 'Birdy Song' which is already a firm fave in my makeup collection, this is equally as easy to apply and work with. It's very creamy, so doesn't feel at all dragging on the eye and can be smudged out easily, yet sets down to a finish that does. not. budge all day long. The colour is super pigmented and black and it's cheap as chips. Love, love, LOVE.

L'Oreal Les Lip Liner Couture by Colour Riche in 'Beige A Nu' - Shifting straight on to the lip department, but still keeping very much in the 'Liner' section, I have a third and final fave. I promise. I mentioned this new love in this post here, but seeing how much I've been loving it, it's getting another well-deserved shout out. You may know of my long-term love for the L'Oreal Infallible Lip Liner in 'Always Toasted'. Since discovering that a few years back, it became my one and only nude liner of choice for my pout and when it started to become steadily more and more difficult to get my hands on, I was worried. It turns out I was right to be, as it seems to be have been discontinued (Boo!) so I was on the hunt for a replacement. In the end, I didn't have to look far as within the same brand was this little beauty that when swatched alongside it, is pretty much identical. *Does a happy dance* Different range, but nearly the same shade and same creamy, but not-too-creamy formula. Being very close to my natural lip hue, this works wonders in giving my slightly-uneven lip line some more definition and making my overall pout appear much fuller. 'Always Toasted' was a makeup staple for me, and I'm so glad to finally have it back in my life (kinda)!

Maybelline Super Stay 7 Day Nail Polish in 'Pink Volt' - Onto nails and yes, it's another of my Maybelline Super Stays. I think for the last three months of these posts there's been a shade or two of this range included and that is simply because I love them so much. If you haven't heard me ramble on about these before (how couldn't you?) then basically, they are a fab collection of nail polishes. They come in a brilliant wide range of shades; the wide, flat brush makes application super-easy; everything's opaque in two coats and once they're dry they do not budge. Seriously, I think these are the only nail polishes I've ever tried that fully live up their 'Long Lasting' tagline. Even the Rimmel Salon Pro's (that I also love a lot and last fairly well) do not last as long chip-free as these. I honestly cannot day a bad word about them. This shade in particular, 'Pink Volt' is the newest addition to my collection and one I've been wearing a lot these past few weeks (you can see it in action here). It's a gorgeous bright pink, yet has that rogue undertone that makes it less 'Barbie' and more 'raspberry'. It may well not be to everyone's tastes, but I for one love it.
H&M Beauty Nail Polishes in 'Copper Cascade', 'Gold Rush' and 'Russet Pearl' - More items for the nail beds and there just had to be some mention of H&M Beauty at some point during this post, eh? Unless you've been living under a rock for the last month or two, the fashion-based brand have come out with their very own 700-piece strong beauty line. Many were sceptical at first (including myself) as to the quality of the products seeing as H&M are more renowned for their clothing than concealers. However, it seems to have come out of the blue and emerged as a new favourite brand for pretty much everyone who's sampled it and I am no exception. Although there are many of products I'd like to try from the range, initially I was drawn to the nail counter. Everything about it just made me go all heart-eyed emoji. The rainbow-esque display, the cute bottles, the massive shade range, the different finishes - everything. Having given them all a go in the time since, I can confirm it is full-on love. The glitters layer easily and really pack a punch in the sparkle department; whilst the one crème I've sampled glides on with ease, reaches full opacity in two coats and dries down quickly to leave a super-glossy finish behind that lasted very well indeed on the beds. *Makes note to self to pick up some more bits from the H&M Beauty collection*.
  
COLAB Dry Shampoo in 'Rio' - Onto all things hair and I've finally found 'The One' for me in terms of dry shampoo scents. You'll know already if you're an avid reader of this blog that the COLAB Dry Shampoo is already my preferred choice in terms of formula, but for a while it was difficult for me to pinpoint one of the fragrances that was my go-to, but I think I'm there at last. 'Rio' is described as their 'tropical fragrance' and I have to agree with that. It's very fruity and slightly sweet, but not in a sickly-sweet way and still has that freshness to it when applied to the tresses. I most definitely cannot wait to restock on another can or two of this...

Superdrug Hydrate and Shine Coconut Water Range (Shampoo, Conditioner and Masque) - Last, but certainly by no means least - is this new haircare range I've been trialling this past month and absolutely loving. Again, you may know as a regular reader of my obsession with the OGX Coconut Water Range. It gives the hydration without the lank, weighed-down feeling that can occur with other formulas as a result, and instead just leaves the hair feeling a better, more nourished version of itself. This Superdrug range (that I very luckily won as a freebie from Superdrug themselves as part of their 'Swap Shop') supposedly offers the same thing but at a much cheaper cost and after some thorough testing - I can confirm it really does. It basically performs in the exact same way on my locks as the OGX does and I am very impressed with that as like I said - it's pretty much half the price. The shampoo cleanses the hair well but replenishes its moisture levels at the same time; and I love alternating between the standard conditioner and masque depending on how dry and damaged my hair's feeling. A fan of the OGX range too? I recommend you give this collection a go...

What I'd Love To Have:

(More) H&M Beauty! - Let's not get into the prices of everything I'm lusting after altogether, eh? - As I said earlier in this post, after dipping my metaphorical beauty toe in terms of H&M Beauty by giving their nail polishes a whirl and loving them - I wanna go back for more and have a fair few things on my shopping list already. The single eyeshadows, cream eyeshadow pots and kohl liners look especially gorgeous. Anything else to add?

Sigma Brushes - Again, let's not get into it... - Although I am a proper Real Techniques gal at heart - and recently, a convert to Zoeva brushes - I'm always on the hunt for new brushes at all times and the Sigma ones fall firmly into the 'Need To Try' category at the moment. Everyone always seems to go on about them and having gone on other's recommendations when it came to finally investing in some of Zoeva's offerings and it being a thorough success - it all points to the conclusion that I would be bound for success once more. On appearance they look very similar to Zoeva and work out fairly identical in terms of price too. I will continue my investigations into what brushes in particular are floating my beauty boat and a purchase may just have to be made...
Tarte 'Tartlette Amazonian Clay' Matte Eyeshadow Palette - £34.00 - Onto just one of three (yes, three!) palettes included in this month's lust line-up is this one and although it sits firmly on the 'High' end of the budget scale, that doesn't deter from the fact that it's an absolute beaut of a collection. Again, I've seen so many peeps going on about this all month long and have seen it crop up in far too many blog posts and YouTube videos over the past few weeks for me to have not took any notice. As the name would correctly imply, it's a smorgasbord of matte shades - so ideal for those who either simply like a shimmer-free eye or want to bulk up the sparkle-less department of shadows in their collection. I personally love a good matte eyeshadow for when I'm perhaps going all-out on the pout or pairing with a shimmer to add some definition in the crease - so this looks ideal for someone like me who does tend to own more shimmery shadows than anything else. Of course the price isn't so ideal, but hey - something to put on the Christmas Wishlist... 

theBalm Nude Tudes/Dudes Eyeshadow Palettes - £29.99 each - Another  couple of palettes for the peepers, but this time bringing it back down to much more of a budget price tag. I couldn't decide between the two here, so instead are just gonna give a shout-out to both as they're equally gorgeous and I literally cannot pick my favourite one that I'm lusting more over. theBalm are responsible for my favourite highlighter of the moment - the Mary-Lou Manizer - so when I got wind of each of these collections, I immediately listened up. Both feature - you guessed it - nude-inspired shades for all us neutral-loving gals alike; from pinks to peaches, bronzes to burgundys. And both are pretty affordable too. It's just got to happen at some point, right?

Make Up For Ever Full Cover Concealer - £21.00 - Scooting back up to the high end of the spectrum, but something I feel is worth the investment. I struggle sometimes with concealer. Don't get me wrong, I love the Collection Lasting Perfection one and find it's more than good enough most of the time to cover everything - bags, blemishes - the lot. However, on rare occasions not even that can suffice my concealing needs so on recommendation of Lily Pebbles, I've been looking in this cover-up's direction. As the name would imply, this apparently covers everything and a little really does go a long way. Is this the answer to my concealing prayers? There's only one way to find out...

The Body Shop Honey Bronzer - £13.00 - Finally, we're shifting back on down again to the drugstore-friendly budget bits 'n' bobs... starting with this bronzer that isn't actually available from any drugstore. Hear me out on this one! I'm sure most of you have heard of this little beauty before as it sure does get it's fair share of airtime on the Blogger/YouTube-sphere and despite being yet to try it out for myself, on paper I can see why. This gets tonnes of hype for being the perfect 'pale' bronzer as all of its shades are so light and not at all orangey. Being a gal with a complexion on the lighter side of things, this appeals to me as while I am forever devoted to my Soap and Glory Solar Powder, being the typical beauty obsessor I am - I'm always on the lookout for something new and exciting to try - and the Honey Bronzer fits that bill exactly.

L'Oreal Infallible Fixing Mist - £7.99 - Onto bits from one of my favourite places (a.k.a. Boots) - I spotted this when browsing the 'New In' section of the Makeup department online and instantly knew it had to be added to the latter section of this post. I love a good setting spray - the Urban Decay 'All Nighter' one being my personal fave - but seeing as this comes in at way more than half the price of that, I am more than happy to give it a go and see how it compares. I am booking a trip to Mothership to have a little not-so-little spending spree as we speak...

Maybelline The Blushed Nude Eyeshadow Palette - £9.99 - Finally, probably my favourite item from this entire Lust-List this month. You will know if you're a regular round these parts that I am a massive fan of the Maybelline 'The Nudes' Palette. In my opinion, it ranks as one of my ultimate top pick purchases from the drugstore and probably my favourite neutral eyeshadow palette I've found so far. Heck, even my Mum loves it. So when I was browsing around the Interwebz a while back and came across this little beauty, I got excited. Then I realised it was only available over the pond in the US and the excitement quickly turned into upset. I resigned myself to the fact that I would just have to wait for it to finally make its way over to us in the UK and that was that. Until that same fateful online trip to Boots where I laid eyes the above...and right there sitting alongside it - this palette! So obviously it had to get a mention here, didn't it. I am so in love with it and literally cannot wait to get my hands on it in all its warm, pink-toned glory. See - now you can understand what I meant when I said a 'not-so-little' spending spree in Boots...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS