navigation

Tuesday 29 December 2015

2014 Favourites - Revisited... #DitsyDecember


Tastes change. That's just a given. Whether it be food, drink, fashion or - in the case of this post - beauty. I remember seeing a post similar to this (but of course for another year's favourites) on Lily Pebbles' blog a couple of year's back and so for today's edition of #DitsyDecember, I thought it might be nice to take a trip down memory lane and recap on just what I was loving this time last year at the end of 2014 (both posts I did on the topic can of course be found here and here). What's stayed the same? What's not? Let's find out...

For makeup, Benefit's POREfessional is something I still use occasionally but not so much on an everyday basis anymore as there are some others (which I will speak about in my 2015 Faves) that I've been loving far more. Rimmel's Wake Me Up Concealer is also a much lesser-used piece of makeup these days as I've found under-eye concealers that are just as light in formula for my bags, but pack more of a punch with the coverage. I rely use blush anyway, but the Natural Collection Blushed Cheeks in 'Peach Melba' has been relegated completely as if I ever do wear blush nowadays - it's far more likely to be a cream finish. My Makeup Revolution Vivid Baked Highlighter in 'Peach Lights' has also not seen the light of day in recent months - and I think you'll all be able to guess what has replaced it - but for now, you'll have to wait till my post early in the New Year! The Collection/Little Mix Collaboration Eyeshadow Palette is still one I really quite like and reach for on the occasional basis, but this year I've found many others in the palette arena that have kind of pushed it to one side - the same going for my MUA Eyeshadow Palettes that are used even less frequently. Out of the kohl liner category - I've found myself reaching more for the Collection Intense Colour Supersoft Kohl Pencils rather than the other Rimmel Scandaleyes Kohl Kajals that I also mentioned last year. My beloved Maybelline The Falsies Mascara hasn't been repurchased all year, with me finding one I actually *shock horror* prefer from the same brand, plus a more luxe lash offering that I fell head over heels for too. Finally, for lips,  my favourite nude lip from last year - L'Oreal's Colour Riche Collection Exclusive Lipstick in 'J Lo's Nude' - is one that's barely reached for these days with another I found this year from the drugstore just piping it to the post (again, while you'll probably be able to guess which one - no full confirmation is being made till my 2015 Faves...). I also found a couple other lipglosses this year that have beaten last year's fave for that category - Maybelline's Colour Sensational Shine Gloss in 'Cashmere Rose' - to the title, with poor Maybelline's offering barely seeing the light of day from it's Muji tower. In a final entry makeup-wise - I've also found myself hardly using any fixing spray of any form this year - so my once-trusty Urban Decay All-Nighter Setting Spray has not been in my current rotation for a while now. However, in recent weeks there may just have been one that I've fallen in love with that has taken its place.

Nails-wise, there have been a few notable changes in the last year. While I used to be an almost-exclusively Barry M kinda gal, in the last 12 months that has all changed and I now own more non-Barry M polishes in my collection than ever before. Their Gelly Hi--Shine range - while still being a firm fave of mine - has been thoroughly neglected as of late - with a couple of lines by Rimmel and Maybelline instead catching my attention. There have also been a couple of new additions to my nails arena that haven't really replaced anything, but have certainly filled it certain voids in my nail-care regime. Once again - all will be revealed very soon...

Onto 'the rest of the best', and I guess the biggest change in this category over the past year has been that I no longer own just Real Techniques makeup brushes in my collection. While I still love, love, LOVE all things Real Techniques and my collection remains majorly made-up of their offerings - I now am thoroughly into Zoeva, with their eyes brushes in particular being just all kinds of awesome. Bodycare-wise - there have been a couple of small changes, but nothing too drastic. My beloved 'Dolce' by Dolce and Gabbana is a fragrance I still love, but recently has been (I'm sure not permanently) replaced by another scent; and there are of course some new bits from LUSH which have been more regular features in my bath this year as opposed to 2014. Haircare has seen more changes if I'm honest - as I do like to try new hair bits 'n' bobs more often. Lee Stafford's Bleach Blondes Shampoo is no longer on rotation - with another purple shampoo taking its place (again you probably know which one); and I also have another shampoo and conditioner duo which has knocked the TRESemme Platinum Strength Shampoo and Conditioner off its top spot. There is also a new heat protectant on the scent - at long last - and I think it may jut have took the place of my once-cherished Got 2 Be Guardian Angel Heat Defence Spray. As for Skincare - that has to be the least-changed category of them all (what can I say - I'm loyal to my skincare), apart from one minor change which meant Benefit's It's Potent Eye Cream is no longer in my current collection.

And that just about rounds up all the major changes from my last yearly favourites! Like I said, stay tuned for the New Year when I'll be dropping 2015's Editions (yes, there are two posts coming of some sort...I'm still to fully decide how I'm going to tackle them) and until then, I hope you enjoyed seeing just what I haven't been using so much in the last 12 months that this time last year, was a firm favourite of mine. Isn't it funny how things change, eh?

2 comments:

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS