navigation

Thursday 29 December 2016

2015 Favourites - Revisited... #DitsyDecember


Over time, your tastes change. Whether that be with food, clothes - or makeup. While something may be your absolute favourite at one time, that doesn't necessarily mean it's bound to be a life-long love and before you know it, you move on and find something just as good, if not better. A couple of years ago I saw a post of this style on Lily Pebbles' blog a couple of year's back and decided to do a simailr thing this time last year here so for today's edition of #DitsyDecember, I thought it might be nice to do it all again and have a little recap on just what I was loving this time last year at the end of 2015 (both of the original favourites posts can of course be found here and here). What's still the same as back then? What might have changed? Let's have a look, shall we?

Makeup-wise, while I used to be such an avid fan of the Rimmel Lasting Finish Primer - this year I found a new one from L'Oréal which I have to admit, has been the one I've been most loyal to this year. I also have basically completely neglected the Collection Illuminating Touch Foundation since it finished a while back and I may or may not have gone back to an old favourite - I'm sure you can have a good guess as to what it is. In terms of powder, I have surprisingly discovered a new one which has beaten my usual holy-grail Rimmel Stay Matte out of the water, while I have also completely abandoned the Bourjois Aqua Blush - I just think I'vge finally accedpted that for the most part - I'm not that big on the whole blush thang. Alongside my faithful Maybelline Master Sculpt, I have a new cream contour that I have been loving using either beforehand or simply on its own; whereas  while theBalm's Mary-Lou Manizer Highlighter is still one of my ultimate faves, I tried a couple of new ones this year - one of which I feel may just have nudged it off the top spot. I also finally branched out of my usual brow combo this year, pushing the L'Oréal Brow Artiste Pencil and Soap and Glory Archery Pencil to the side in favour of the NYX Micro Brow Pencil - and also adding in the addition of the L'Oreal Brow Artist Plumper for good measure. My brows have certainly upgraded - that's fo' sho'. Eyes-wise, I haven't really been that faithful to a single shadow this year, but there is one from Rimmel (again, I'm sure you'll know which one I'm talking about) that has meant I haven't really gotten that much use out of the 17 Mono Shadow in 'Mardi Gras' at all. Then there's the Maybelline 'The Nudes' Palette and though I still really love it and use it regularly, there's another palette which I've been kinda obsessed about even more so these past few months, so I feel like it may just have to pip it to the post there. I also haven't been getting as much use out of the Fleur De Force 'Lunar Rose' Palette over these past few months - I definitely need to rectify that at some point! Both of the mascaras featured in last years favourites - the Too Faced Mascara and the Maybelline Lash Sensational - are still ones I love, but I haven't repurchased either of them for ages now and have moved on to one which I think I love just as much. Maybe one day I'll go back to one of them again - who knows. Then for lips, I haven't touched the Maybelline Baby Lips all year to be honest, preferring to sick with a traditional, straight-up lip balm for if/when my pout feels a tad parched and while I do have a few lipglosses which I like (Fleur De Force's 'Written In The Stars' to be particular), I haven't really been that faithful to one throughout the whole of this year. If I'm honest - I've been more about the liquid lipsticks during 2016. Liquid lipsticks have been even bigger this year and with me finally fully jumping on the bandwagon, I have discovered a fair few which have pushed my original faves - Bourjois' Rouge Edition Velvets - off the top spot. As for actual lipsticks, I feel I have a good handful of others which could potentially knock all of my favourites from last year off their top positions (even Rimmel's Lasting Finish Kate Moss '45' Lipstick might have some competition  - that's when you know things are serious). I have moved back onto an old favourite in these past few months - Urban Decay's All Nighter Setting Spray - which I feel has overtaken my previous love, L'Oréal's Infallible Setting Spray, and in terms of lashes, while I am still a massive fan of the Fleur De Force 'Simply Fleur' Lashes, the Ardell Demi Wispies are more of my go-to lashes of the faux variety right now. Brushes are still virtually the same as last year in terms of brands - Real Techniques remains my ultimate favourite, with  a couple from Zoeva close behind - it's more the actual brushes themselves that have altered in terms of my favourites. If anything, the main change here is the introduction of the Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge into my routine. I finally got round to trying out the whole 'beauty blender' hype (although this is very much a dupe - and a good one at that) and I've fallen head over heels, with it being basically the only thing I use regularly to apply foundation and concealer.

Nails have pretty much stayed the same in terms of brands, with the likes of Rimmel and Maybelline remaining the two that I  head towards the most, but I have to admit that over the past year I've definitely gotten more into Barry M again. There was a time (mainly last year) when I didn't look at the poaches of theirs that I had sitting in my stash hardly at all, this past year I've fallen back in love with their range again - and I'm very glad about it too.

Finally, we have what I like to call 'the best of the rest' - skincare, haircare, bodycare - you get the gist. I feel like the most of this category has remained the same, if not pretty similar, but there have been a couple of changes in the 'Haircare' department. For adding some extra blonde-ness into my hair, I have been using a different lightening spray to my usual John Freida Go Blonder and I've gone back to any old favourite in the heat protection category that's overtaken my usual L'Oréal Hot and Straight Spray. You'll have to wait and see just what it is. I have a new mask favourite that I've been thoroughly enjoying slathering my tresses in and maybe, just maybe a not-so-new dry shampoo has snuck its way back into my everyday routine aswell. Then for Skincare - this is a whole new ball game - as having finally curated a whole routine for myself for the first time this year, there's not so much that's been replaced, but certainly a lot of new stuff on the block - so keep an eye out for my 2016 Favourites for that!

And that just about rounds up all the major changes from my last yearly favourites! Like I said, stay tuned for the New Year when I'll be dropping 2015's Editions (yes, there are two posts coming of some sort...I'm still to fully decide how I'm going to tackle them) and until then, I hope you enjoyed seeing just what I haven't been using so much in the last 12 months that this time last year, was a firm favourite of mine. Isn't it funny how things change, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS