navigation

Sunday 17 December 2017

2016 Favourites - Revisited... #DitsyDecember


Over time, things change. Your tastes change, your preferences change and generally - what you might love, love, LOVE at one time; you don't necessarily feel the same way about at a later point in time. This applies to basically anything and everything - including beauty products - and today, I thought I'd talk about exactly that. I saw the lovely Lily Pebbles do a post like this a few years back and ever since, I have made it my mission to do the same. It basically does exactly what it says on the tin - I give a little recap over what I was loving this time last year and see what's changed. As I said, I have done this for the last two years (here and here) and just couldn't miss out on doing it for the third year in a row and so, without any further ado - let's just get started...

Starting with Makeup - this time last year, I was fully in love with the L'Oreal Lumi Magique Primer. It's an awesome super-glowy face base and while I still love it and have used it various times throughout 2017, I've moved onto something that is just as good, if not even better in terms of really keeping your makeup in place all-day-long. Stay tuned to find out what that may be. I am still all kinds of obsessed with my classic, Bourjois Healthy Mix Foundation - as I always am - but this year I made it my mission to finally find a foundation that I adored just as much and I *think* I migth just have done it. I've also completely abandoned the L'Oreal Lumi Cushion Foundation ever since I used it all up a few months ago and I have also finally found a bronzer that I feel might just compete with my faithful Soap and Glory Solar Powder. Sticking to the ol' cheeks, this year I started using a brand new contour product from NYX that has meant my previous favourites - both Collection's Precision Contour Stick and Maybelline's Master Sculpt- have been fully neglected ever since. Oops. Highlighter-wise, I have gained a lot (and boy do I mean a lot) of new favourites this year, so I guess it's no surprise that my old fave, the Sleek Highlighting Palette in 'Solstice' hasn't been reached for as much during 2017. I still adore it, but with so many other awesome glow-givers in my collection nowadays, it has admittedly been kinda put on the back-burner this year. For my brows, I used to be all about the NYX Micro Brow Pencil in terms of filling them in and generally beefing them up and also the L'Oreal Brow Artiste Plumper for setting them into place and adding a slight tint and extra fullness - but this year, I have come across two products that I love even more and have fully replaced the both. Eyes-wise, I haven't used that many single eyeshadows during 2017, but I feel I have a couple which have overtaken my previous fave - Rimmel's Magnif'Eyes Mono Shadow in 'Millionaire' - and while I am still a big fan of the Tanya Burr Cosmetics Eyeshadow Palette in 'Birthday Suit', I think we all know what's gonna be taking the 'Best Eyeshadow Palette' title this year. *cough* Makeup Revolution X Soph Palette *cough*. All throughout 2017, I haven't really touched any kohl eye pencils - with me much favouring a good ol' black liquid liners to add definition - and so the Maybelline Master Drama Nudes Eye Pencil in 'Brownie Glitz' has basically been abandoned - and shockingly, liquid liner-wise I have finally moved away from my old fave, Soap and Glory's Supercat LinerI know, I know - it's definitely been a year of big makeup discoveries. I've also tried - and loved - a fair few new mascaras this year and thus, my favourite this time last year, Bourjois' Volume Reveal, has not been repurchased since. Then, finally, for the Lips, I am a still a big fan of the Rimmel Lip Liners and also Primark Beauty Lip Liners, but this year I have branched out even further into many other brand - so definitely expect to maybe see some more inclusions in 2017's roundup! I've also tried a lot - like, a lot, a lot - of new liquid lipsticks this year and so, while I am still a big fan of both the NYX Lip Lingerie's and also the Tanya Burr Cosmetics Matte Lip in 'Martha Moo' (which was basically all I wore on my lips for a god period of time in 2016) - I have so, so many others that I wanna feature this time round aswell. I am a still a lover and regular user of my MAC Lipstick in 'Patisserie' (the sheer pinky-nude is especially perfect for work) but again, I have tried so many variations of nude lipsticks over the course of 2017 that I'm not too sure whether it'll still make the cut or not this time round; and in terms of bold lips, I have to admit that the MUA Velvet Lip Lacquer in 'Reckless' - while still a gorgeous, bright red - has been picked up at various points this year, I have a lot of other new brights and bolds currently in my stash that could easily take it's place too. Oooh

Then, for Nails, as always, it has pretty much stayed the same. Obviously, colours will have changed - I'll talk about my favourites more in my actual '2017 Favourites' posts - but the likes of Barry M and Maybelline remain at the top spots brand-wise. Aside from nail colour though, I haven't really touched some of the nail products that I did regularly in 2016. Both the Maybelline Dr Rescue Quick Dry Drops and SOS Nail Balm have kinda been pushed to the back of my 'Nails' drawer and while I am a still a big fan and user of a good ol' Nail Corrector Pen - my previous fave from Barry M has finally been switched out for something else. Woah. I've also discovered a new top coat that's replaced the Barry M Sunset Nail Top Coat which - again - is pretty big news for me, beauty-wise. Tools-wise, much has stayed the same again. Really, it's more the types of brushes that have switched up than anything - cause we all know I'm a big Real Techniques lover and all that - and of course, I will be sharing those with you all when my '2017 Favourites' rolls around...

And finally, for what I like to call - the 'Best Of The Rest'. Yanno, your Skincare, Haircare, Bodycare and the like. Body-wise, again, there are a fair few things that haven't changed at all but I'd say I've found a new bath cream/shower gel throughout 2017 that has kinda replaced my previous fave - the Zoella Beauty Sweet Inspirations 'Bath Latte' - and I've definitely gone back to an old favourite when it comes to body scrub too. Let's just say the I Love... Lemon Meringue Whipped Sugar Scrub hasn't be used in a long while. I've used a fair few body butters and lotion throughout the past year - one of which I feel has knocked the Soap and Glory 'Butter Yourself' Moisture Lotion off of the top spot from 2016 - and this Summer, I finally found 'The One' for me when it comes to tanning - and regrettably, the Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula Natural Bronze Gradual Tanning Moisturiser just ain't doing it for me anymore. For Haircare, I've gone back to an old favourite purple shampoo that has took over my previous love for the PRO:VOKE Touch Of Silver Brightening Shampoo and I after being a Batiste Dry Shampoo fan for so, so long - I've finally strayed. Oooh. Having finally got my hair professionally lightened, brightened and blonde-d up as I like it over the course of this past year, I haven't even touched my Jerome Russell Bblonde Lightening Spray and although I'm still a big fan of the L'Oreal Studio Line Hot and Straight Spray heat protectant-wise, I've gone back to an old classic that's been floating my boat even more. I've also added another awesome hairbrush to my collection that may or may not have taken over my love of the Tangle Teezer that I fell in love with during 2016. Then, last but certainly not least - Skincare. Much has stayed the same, but I've definitely found an affordable dupe for my Nip + Fab Glycolic Fix Daily Cleansing Pads - they're basically the exact same, but so much cheaper. Winner! I've also been using a different day and night cream duo that have put my love of the Garnier SkinActive Moisture Bomb Day and Night Creams firmly on the back burner. I've also found a different eye cream that's replaced my usual Superdrug Vitamin E Eye Cream and though I am still a massive fan of the L'Oreal Pure Clay Face Masks - I've started using a different formula to my usual favourite, 'Glow', that I love just as much, if not even more.

And that just about rounds up my recap on last year's 2016 Favourites! I hope you enjoyed seeing and hearing about what's changed from this time last year - I know I most definitely did - and I also hope it acts as a nice little taster for what's to come in the New Year. 2017 Favourites - yes, Part One and Part Two - I'm ready...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS