navigation

Monday 8 October 2018

Tried and Tested: P.Louise Eye Base in 'Rumour'


If you're a regular reader of this blog, you'll most likely know that the Urban Decay Primer Potion is hands down, my all-time favourite eye primer or 'base' for my eyes. It's the only one I've ever used, ever since first 'properly' getting into makeup years ago - and ever since starting using it, I've not even as much as looked any any other options - until not too long ago, that is. Around the start of this year, this beauty hit the makeup scene. The brainchild of P.Louise, a well-known Instagram MUA, everyone started going mad for her P.Louise Eye Base in 'Rumour'. Since then, I've read a lot of reviews, watched a lot of tutorials and finally decided that it was something that I actually really wanted to try out for myself. So, after doing just that over the past week or so - here are my thoughts...

I picked up mine in the 'original' shade that was launched first - 'Rumour 2'. I figured that it looked a similar colour to my believed Primer Potion and thankfully, the shade is a pretty good match for me. It's near identical to my skin-tone, just a smidgen brighter and with a lovely peachy tone that helps correct and cancel out those pesky bluey-purple veins and discolouring on the lids nicely. Also, you best believe when they say this stuff is proper full, full coverage. Compared to the Primer Potion (that does even things out slightly but concentrates more on priming properties), the P.Louise Base is has more of a full coverage concealer-type consistency. You need the smallest amount to cover each eye - a little really goes a long way - and so far, I've found the quickest and easiest way of applying is to squeeze some out of the tube onto my ring finger and begin patting the product over my entire lid space, all the way up to the underneath of my brow. A tapping, patting technique is something highly suggested for this base and I definitely agree that it is the best way to get the most full, even coverage out of it, however I've personally found that getting right on in there with your finger (oo-er) to be the best way of ensuring a super smooth finish - as opposed to a flat synthetic brush, as they suggest. It's all personal preference I suppose though!

Once applied, the key thing with this eye base is that you Do. Not. Set. It. Normally, with most eye primers - and definitely if using a normal concealer to prime - it's essential that you set it with some powder after applying, before going in with any eyeshadows to ensure things apply and last really well. However, the unique thing with this primer is that this step is not required - and actually, advised against. Instead, you simply ensure that the product is well patted in and in this way, the formula almost sets by itself into this slightly tacky, matte finish. Magic, right? Then, you can just go straight into applying your eyeshadow! 

As I mentioned in this post, I've recently started using a slightly different technique for my eyeshadow (where I start with my deepest matte shade on my smallest brush, before working up to gradually lighter shades, on gradually larger brushes) and I have to say, this method works especially well on this base. The full coverage creates such a nice, blank canvas to work on top of and though its slight tackiness may be a little scary to think of, it actually really helps powder shadows to cling well and you can really get the most pigmentation and just general potential out of them. Blending is also a dream - things just blend so nicely over this base and it's really easy to get a smooth, seamless finish with no harsh, rough edges in sight. I've found too that you don't tend to loose as much pigmentation through blending, which is good - but also, if you ever do, you can easily build things up again. 

Then, where things are possibly even more impressive is when you come to using shimmers and metallic-type shades. Applied on top of this base (especially so when you go back in with a layer to cut the crease) using a flat brush - they work so so wonderfully. You don't even necessarily have to use your finger to apply, or even spray your brush and yet this base just seems to help any shimmery, glittery shades to just apply really well and just reach their full, sparkly potential. I think it's with this type of texture of shadow that I can really see the major difference by using this base.

So, I think we can all tell by now that I really, really like this eye base so far. Not only does it completely cover and cancel out my entire lid space, creating a beautiful blank canvas for whatever you want to apply on top; it makes my shadows apply like a dream. Mattes are super smooth, rich and blend effortlessly; shimmers and metallics apply super intense and foiled-like without even the need for the use of your finger or a dampened brush. What's not to love? Not only that, I find when using this that my eye look wears impeccably throughout the day too - a must for any eye primer, of course. There's no fading, flaking off or any creasing - something which I was especially concerned about happening at first, seeing as this base is not 'set' with powder beforehand. And despite being so full coverage, it somehow doesn't feel heavy on the eyes and so far, hasn't caused any irritation around the area either. I really want to experiment with this more, using it as a base for liquid and cream shadows and trying it out more so when cutting the crease or lid to create cut creases, halo eyes and so on but all in all, I think I've finally found myself a new eye primer/base that has kicked my holy grail Primer Potion out of the water. Who would've thought it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS