navigation

Wednesday 22 April 2015

Mastering That Mascara Application #AllMonthApril


Out of all the possible beauty topics out there to cover on a beauty blog, mascara has to be up there with the most talked about. Whether it be reviews, distinctions between different ones out there, or simply how to apply the darn thing - we all love a good natter about our lashes it seems. While it may seem 'simple' as I said to do a whole post covering how to get the mascara from the tube onto your lashes (a task many would assume everyone knows), the actual technique can vary from person to person and can alter the finished result you get. Being a huge lover of the stuff (I could happily slap on about ten layers if I had the time sometimes), today I thought I'd share some tips on how I like to apply it myself on my own lashes to get the best finish I can...

GIVE IT A CURL - A classic mascara application tip, but one always worth mentioning. I always find giving my lashes a good go with the faithful eyelash curlers to really make a difference to the finished result, regardless of what mascara I choose to apply. This helps to lift and shape your lashes, leaving them a lot more fluttery naturally. If I really want the curl to hold, I like to do one eye at a time so they don't have a chance to revert back to their standard shape and also some people recommend heating your curlers up with a hairdryer to help that curl really lock in place - just as you would a hair tool to curl your hair.
 
BLINK (SO YOU DON'T MISS IT) - This is one that I always have done throughout my years of applying mascara and one I always seem to tell others to give a go if they mention about having trouble getting their mascara to really 'work'. Pretty self-explanatory - applying a layer of mascara by simply holding the brush near your lashes and blinking onto the wand. I find moving my lashes through the brush rather than the other way round really helps to get all of my lash - from root to tip - coated and so gives me that extra lift and length.
 
WIGGLE WIGGLE WIGGLE - Another way I like to get the most out of my mascara and again, pretty self-explanatory and simple, yet makes all the difference. For this I simply start at the base of my lashes and really 'wiggle' the brush from side to side as if giving them a good itch and then comb the rest upwards. This I find to really help in the volume department as you're concentrating the action more on the root of the lashes - so combined with the above tip you kinda have all bases covered.
 
DON'T FORGET THE TIP - For this I'm meaning the tip of the actual mascara wand itself as opposed to the tips of your lashes. I find the tip to be so useful in really getting the most out of your mascara application, yet many sometimes forget it. As the tip of the wand commonly goes into a point, this can come in handy for many uses. I find it rally helps in getting every single lash covered, as the thinness means I can easily get right into the inner corner of my eye and outer corner, wiggling the end of the wand on my end lashes as a finishing touch to give them that extra lift, length and volume. Of course the thinner tip can also be handy for lower lash application so you don't risk the dreaded panda eye.
 
COMB THINGS THROUGH - A final finishing step and great whether frantic over going a little over the top or completely happy with how your lashes have ended up and just want a more natural, defined look. You'll commonly find one of these combs housed in the same brush you'd find your good 'ole spoolie on, and they really do work a treat in crisis situations (#firstworldproblems).
 
So there are just some of my own mascara application tips 'n' tricks! How do you like to apply your mascara to get the most fluttery result?

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS