navigation

Monday 27 April 2015

Priming - Face, Eyes and Lips #AllMonthApril


Priming seems to be one of those beauty concepts that I've become steadily more aware of as I've got more into beauty. At first, it wasn't a step that even crossed my mind, let alone employed; but as time's gone on I've picked up on it, dug into the deets on just what it's all about and slowly but surely built up what I can only describe as some form of 'primer arena', with something covering pretty much every category you can ever ask for in this sector. Meet my famous trio...

FACE - When I first got into priming my makeup in terms of my base, I was all about the sample of Benefit's POREfessional I'd just got hold of. That was a typical silicone-like textured primer designed to more sit on top of the skin and fill in any areas of imperfection, smoothing things out to create an even canvas to work with. I really enjoyed it for exactly those reasons and it did help my makeup to stay put longer too, but more recently I've been really loving the new Rimmel Lasting Finish Primer (as you would have already read about here). Like I've already said in that post, I've thoroughly fell in love with this. Unlike POREfessional, this primer comes out looking more moisturiser-like in formula and applies so too - sinking into the skin leaving it looking simply more dewy in finish. Whatever you apply on top sits extremely well, with the primer acting in a similar way as Benefit's offering by filling in any visible pores, but in a perhaps more natural way. My finished base in general lasts pretty darn well when using this too.
 
EYES - Now we're coming onto the primer that kick-started my whole curiosity into the subject in the first place. It is of course my beloved Urban Decay Primer Potion. I know this comes in various guises nowadays but I've just got the good 'ole original format and I cannot explain how much I love it. Before discovering this, I used to notice sometimes by the end of the day my once-somewhat-nicely-applied eyeshadow was looking a little raggedy and gathering into lines my crease, so I invested in this and it has quite literally solved all of my problems - well, at least eye makeup-related. I now no longer have any issues with how my eyeshadow wears throughout the day, and I've actually noticed how much better it applies first thing too. The skin-toned primer acts perfectly in evening things out as well as mattifying - ideal for more lighter-coloured shadow days.
 
LIPS - Finally, a more occasional-use primer, but an important one nevertheless. Out of all the primer steps - this one has to take the award for the amount of shock it warranted when I found out it existed. Lip primers are a thing? Who knew. Certainly not me, of course. This is the MUA Pout Prime Lip Primer. Housed almost identically to the way you'd expect a 'chubby stick'-type product to be, this is formulated as a balm-like texture that you apply before your lip product of choice - both hydrating your pout and priming it too. The texture is reminiscent of the classic silicone-style primers once again, but it does not feel heavy in any way like you might expect it to, especially considering where it's designed to be placed. The primer fills in and smoothes out your lips, making the finished result of your lipstick much more appealing and lasts much better as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS