navigation

Wednesday 17 June 2015

New In At The Drugstore - Summer Edition

 
Remember those 'New In At The Drugstore' posts I started doing a few months back in the Spring (here and also here) where I talked through some of the newest drops to the drugstore beauty market (a.k.a. aisles of my local Boots and/or Superdrug) - giving you lot the rundown on just what they're all about before possibly also giving mini-reviews/first impressions along the way if possible? Yeah, you know the ones - and today they're making a comeback in what I'm deeming a 'Summer Edition'. (Side note - Prepare for things to get a little Summer-Central on Dainty Ditsy over the next couple of posts as I seem to have scheduled this one and Friday's without realising they both have mention the season in their title. Ooops.) Anyway, on with the new launches...

First up we have two new releases from the mighty Maybelline - I don't know why but the are one of those brands that I always seem to prick up my ears just that little bit more when it comes to them dropping new stuff on their shelves. When perusing my local stand I noticed they had a 'Summer Collection' at the front and along with a couple of old faves, I spotted two newbies and instantly threw them into my basket. They are the Color Show Polish in 'Coral Craze' (£2.99) and the Master Sculpt Contouring Palette (£6.99). First let's talk the nail release. Now, on post-shop reflection, I'm not entirely sure this shade is actually a new launch from them for this Summer, but I thought I'd throw it in anyway as I personally have never spotted it before and loved the look of it. As the name would suggest, it's a coral colour - but what I really like about this is that it's a kind of more muted take on it rather than being totally 'in yer face'. It's a colour I can definitely see working well with a bit of a tan (faux or real) and certainly one I can visualise me gravitating towards over the next few months as the weather heats up. Their other newbie - the Master Sculpt - was what really grabbed my attention, though. Maybelline claim this to be a 'a highlighter and contour blush in 2 expertly coordinated shades for a sculpted look'. This has had quite a bit of promotion in the time leading up to it's release and with how contouring mad everyone seems to be nowadays, it's hardly a surprise Maybelline are attempting to cash in on the craze and have come out with their own take on it. On closer inspection the palette comes with one round 'dish' (you know what I mean), divided into two - a larger section of matte contour and a smaller one of a slightly shimmery highlight. If I'm honest, I have to admit that this doesn't please me as much as other contour and highlight palettes I've used/seen as I can't imagine it'd be very useful for if you wanted to use a larger brush for less precision application, but as I'm yet to give it a proper go as see what the powders themselves are actually like, I will reserve that initial judgment for now.
 
Then we have a new release (or should that be releases?) from Rimmel. As most of you will already know, they've collaborated with Kate Moss for some time now for releases of two lipstick ranges, normal and matte - both including some 'absolute beaut' shades with a gorgeous formulation. For this Summer though, they've dropped some new, seasonally-appropriate colours into their regular line for the upcoming months - the Rimmel Lasting Finish Kate Moss Lipsticks Summer Collection (£5.49 each) (or at least that's how I'm dubbing it). Out of the five shades - ranging from nudes to pinks to reds all with a Summer twist - I picked up the shades '36' (a hot, fuchsia pink) and '37' (a bright, orangey red). Both equally beautiful shades I can very much foresee me going for over the warmer months, but if I was to be a little nitpicky I have just one wish - why you no name your lipsticks Rimmel/Kate Moss? I'm sure I'm not alone in saying that the numbers just don't do it for me as much as a cute, fancy-shamancy name would. Asides from that rather irrelevant point though - I'm sure these will impress me just as much as those I've sampled from the range before and it's nice to finally have some more S/S appropriate shades to add to my collection.
 
Next comes a base-related launch from Bourjois. Sometime earlier this year they released the 'Aqua' edition of their regular Rogue Edition Velvet Lipsticks - supposedly to cater for those wanting a more glossy effect than that which the former offer. Now, though, they've extended that range to a liquid blush product - introducing the Bourjois Aqua Blush (£8.99). Bourjois claim this to 'boost your skin’s natural radiance with sheer, fresh colour' and the 'water-light gel formula leaves skin with a refreshed, bare skin sensation'. FYI, I plumped for the shade 'Pink Twice', a very pretty - you guessed it - light pink colour. They also claim it to last for a whole 12 hours - now that really is quite a bold statement. Despite admittedly not being the world's biggest blush fan, I do constantly appear to be on the hunt for the one which will surpass all others I tried and make the whole 'flushed cheeks' thing finally become a staple in my everyday routine. Will this be it? We shall wait and find out...
 
Finally, we have a completely non-makeup-orientated release and one I do believe is a new addition to the brand OGX. Zoe a.k.a. Zoella mentioned the OGX Weightless Hydration Coconut Water Range in her recent May Favourites video and in my recent trip to Boots it dawned on me that I actually needed to repurchase a shampoo and conditioner to use as a 'set' (I like to alternate between two matching ones together and a standalone shampoo). I came across these, remembered how Zoe had referenced them - and how much she loved them - and noticed that they appear to be a new range for the brand so we kind of have a two-in one here. I needed new hair products and I also wanted to try something new to possibly include in this post so there we have it. OGX state this range as being an 'ultra-light blend of weightless hydrating coconut water, combined with nutrient rich coconut water to transform dry, parched hair into silky, shiny perfection'. This range really does intrigue me as I'm sure we all know of the supposed health benefits coconut water carries as a drink (I always spot it in supermarkets but have yet to actually give it a try) so I do feel as though it kinda makes sense that the 'intense hydration' it apparently does to our insides would work just as well for our outsides. Haircare was on 3 for 2 at the time (and I believe it still is so - run Forest, run!) so I picked up the complete range - the Shampoo (£6.99), Conditioner (£6.99) and Hydration Oil (£7.35). I've heard mainly good things about these - most stating how the best results come from using all three products together - so fingers crossed!

So there's just some of the products I spotted to have recently dropped in the drugstore! Have you lovely lot got anything you'd like to add to the list?

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS