navigation

Friday 21 July 2017

New Makeup Haul + First Impressions


Recently, I've had a handful of products that have come into my stash, or have been in there waiting for a while for their time to shine (a.k.a. be cracked open) and so what better excuse than to haul them for you lovely lot and give you my initial review and first impressions of them all as we go along? There's a fair few products to make our way through so without further ado - let's get into it...

First up, I have had this primer rattling round unopened in my stash for what feels like an absolute age, just waiting for a couple of my current open ones to get used up and when that finally happened lately, I jumped at the chance to give it a whirl at last. This is the Maybelline Superstay 24HR Primer and I think I originally bought it a few months back when picking up some bits 'b' bobs for a New In At The Drugstore post (as it was pretty fresh to the drugstore scene at the time) and until now, I never managed to get round to cracking it open. This is the first and only face primer I've tried from Maybelline, so I was a little unsure as to what to expect but I have been pleasantly surprised with how awesome it is. It's completely different to what I was thinking it would be like - and also pretty unique to any other face primer I've used in the past - however I am really enjoying it so far. It's very thin and 'liquid-y' in formula (something which did kinda concern me at first) though it applies onto the skin really nicely and sinks in and sets down easy-peasy too. It's got a light baby pink hue which does ever-so-slightly help to even things out and what I am most amazed by is that despite the none silicone-y texture, I find it to really smooth out the appearance of my skin and minimise my pores too. It's kind of a makeup miracle and definitely a face primer I will continue using (and very possibly repurchase again at some point too).

I also went on a bit of a brow 'binge' and with both of my current go-to's running out, picked up two new products to replace them. First off, I needed a new brow pencil and while I am still a huge fan of my beloved NYX Micro Brow Pencil, I fancied trying something a bit different. I really like the whole set-up of the NYX offering though, so I wanted to keep to something that was also kinda the same - if ya get what I mean - so, I picked up the Maybelline Brow Precise Micro Pencil in 'Deep Brown'. This, on first glance, looks really rather similar to the Micro Brow Pencil that I love so much and so I figured there'd be a pretty good chance that I'd like it. And you know what? I bloomin' well do. The pencil is a tad creamier, but it's still super easy to create precise, brow-like strokes and there's enough versatility in that you can both keep things natural or really beef things out (my personal preference, having pretty sparse  natural brows). It goes on nicely-pigmented and once it's on, it lasts all day long. The little spoolie on the other end is super-handy and actually really works at brushing through the brows to get them into shape and disperse product perfectly - but if there's one thing that I think is making me sway towards using this from now on as opposed to the NYX, it's the colour. You might know that to get my perfect shade in the NYX Micro Brow, I have to use two colours combined but I find with the Maybelline offering that this one colour - 'Deep Brown' - is just perfect for me. It's not too warm, nor too cool-toned and it matches up to the next product pretty darn well too. It's a winner. So, moving on to that aforementioned item, and kicking off what I think you'll find to be a bit of a theme running throughout this post, I have recently finally gotten round to picking up some bits 'n' bobs from Essence Makeup to try out. I know, I know. I have heard so many things about them as a brand and the products they sell and so I knew I wanted to gather my own opinion eventually and at last, I bought a few items to give a whirl. With a lot of my makeup products running out around a similar time (does anyone else find this to always happen?), I took the opportunity to kill two birds with one stone and all that (even though I hate that saying) and replace them all with the corresponding product that Essence have on offer. Genius, even if I do say so myself. So, first off I picked up the 'Make Me Brow' Eyebrow Gel Mascara in '02 Browny Brows'. I was super eager to try this brow gel out after hearing so many rave reviews about it - with some even going as far as to suggest it as a possible dupe for the infamous Benefit 'Gimme Brow'. On first look, I can certainly see the resemblance in packaging (style, shape, size) and the way in which both are described are very, very similar too. Both tinted brow gels that not only claim to set them into place, but have tiny fibers within the formula to help fill things in too - it's safe to say I had high hopes - and so far, so good. Obviously, I have not personally tried Benefit's offering myself but in terms of the Essence equivalent, I am rather impressed. I used to think my beloved L'Oreal Brow Artiste Plumper was the best drugstore brow gel (and possibly the best alternative to something like 'Gimme Brow') but I actually think this one pips it to the post. It's even more affordable, it holds things in place and adds some colour just as well (if not even better) and I feel like in terms of the whole 'fibers' thing, the 'Make Me Brow' is so much better at adding noticeable extra thickness and fullness. The length of the applicator and the size of the brush at the end makes for super precise, easy application; combined with the awesome formula, means things never get overloaded, clumpy or heavy either. For such a bargain too, I can see myself using this stuff for a long, long time to come.

For Eyes, I have been testing and trilalling yet another Essence product and that is the Lash Princess False Lash Effect Mascara. I added this to my basket after recently seeing a couple of people raving about it and seeing as it is so affordable and easy to get hold of, I figured I'd pick a tube up to try for myself. I love trying new mascaras and especially as my current love - L'Oreal's Miss Baby Roll - is reaching the end of its makeup life, it only made sense to give it a go. The brush is very bog-standard and similar to a lot of mascaras I've tried in the past, but definitely don't let that put you off as I have fallen head over heels for this mascara. The packaging is all very pretty, but I actually find it to be super-practical too. The long applicator makes for easy application and the pretty dealing over the cap not only looks pretty darn good, but really helps your grip and, again, gives you complete control. As for the mascara itself, the formula is very 'wet' (usually my favourite kind) and while, combined with the rather large brush, you do have to be rather careful when you apply it, it's well worth the effort. Boy, oh boy does this mascara do wonders to my lashes. It adds so, so much length and it really thickens things up, yet when you really work it through, there's no clumps to be seen. You can apply one light layer for something a little more 'natural'-ish or you can apply coat after coat and build it up (my personal preference) and get a super dramatic, in-yer-face effect and for such a steal, I highly recommend you try it out for yourself too. I will definitely be picking up another tube...

Moving onto the 'Finishing' parts of the face, I also picked up the Essence Sun Club Bronzer in '01 SunKissed'. As the 'Blondes/Lighter Skin' branding suggests - this is the lighter shade of the two available - and I was immediately drawn to this one as I loved the look of the lighter shade. You all know how much I love the Soap and Glory Solar Powder Bronzer in that it bronzes and adds some colour and much-needed warmth to my skin; but in a super-natural, non-orangey way and being a paler-skinned gal - that is just what I need. But while I am and still am a big fan of that one - just like the NYX Micro Brow Pencil - I fancied a bit of a change and so wanted to find something which was different, but till gave the same sort of effect. This is one, sole colour as opposed to the duo split pan set-up from Soap and Glory, but the overall light bronze colour of Essence's offering gave me hope that it'd do a good job and so far, I am super impressed. It's light in colour, but not too light so as to be not at all noticeable on the skin and it's warm, but doesn't make me look like an Oompa Loompa. Always a bonus. The texture is nice and creamy and also, it smells like a little coconut-y and a bit like suncream. Cause who can resist a bronzer that smells like holiday?

Finally, a couple of new brushes that I've added to my collection to try. Both super affordable and both, having thoroughly put them through their paces, I've found to be invaluable additions. The first - Primark's Liquid Blending Brush - I picked up for a completely different purpose. Yanno me, right? I actually thought the dense, flat shape of this would be ideal for contouring (or blending out said contour) on the nose and so far, so good. I actually prefer it for blending things out as oppose to applying as the dense set-up can make for a bit too much product placement but for buffing things in around the nose area - it's ideal. The second - what I promise to be the final product in this post from Essence - is their Eye Blender Brush. I am always up for adding a new eye blending brush to my collection for buffing transition shades into the crease/outer corner or for simply taking away any harsh edges as an all-over blender - and this satisfies that purpose perfectly. It's probably the biggest, fluffiest eye brush I own but it gets the job done and - surprise, surprise - does it pretty darn quickly too. Just like the Primark offering, it's super-soft and feels far better quality than the cheaper price would initially indicate and I am super glad to have both of these now nicely-nestled in my brush pots.

So, I think this has to be one of the most successful 'First Impressions' posts I've done so far as across the entire board, I don't think there was one product/item I was unimpressed by and/or wouldn't consider repurchasing again. I'm super happy I picked all of them up - especially the Essence bits 'n' bobs, considering I'd never tried anything from the brand before - and I really cannot wait to continue using them all. They've all managed to integrate themselves into my everyday routine, that's fo' sho'...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS