navigation

Sunday 16 December 2018

A Guide To Glitter... #DitsyDecember


Nothing says 'Christmas' like Glitter - right? Though I fully appreciate and indulge in a sprinkle of the sparkly stuff pretty much all year round (as do a lot of others too) as soon as the festive season hits, it becomes a pretty big deal - especially beauty-wise. So, I thought today I'd do a not-so-little round up of all of my top glittery picks for makeup and nails, perfect for if you want to get your glitter on this Christmas...

I'd definitely say that for me, the main part of makeup where glitter really comes into its own is the Eyes. Whether it be glitter shadows, cosmetic glitter itself or liquids - there are so, so many options to choose from. If a loose glitter is your kinda thing, the NYX Face and Body Glitters are awesome - cheap, available in tonnes of colours and relatively easy to get along with. Pair with their Glitter Primer to enable you to really adhere them well and you're good to go. However, if you're after something a little more shimmery, the Barry M Fine Glitter Dusts are also a good option. Apply in the exact same way, just be a little more careful as they are much more finely-milled! There's also the option of pressed glitter - an idea first properly introduced to me when Revolution came out with their Pressed Glitter Palettes not too long ago. Basically like they say on the tin - like a loose glitter, but pressed into a pan. Simply use your brush or a finger to pick up some of the glitter and apply as normal - as long as you've applied some glitter primer first of course! 

However, nowadays you don't even necessarily need to stick to loose glitter anymore - as you'll most likely well know by now as at the moment I am fully converted to 'liquid glitters'. Basically just glitter that's already suspended in a gel-like formula - meaning you can just swipe them on from the tube, leave to dry and you're done! No faffing, mess or glitter glue needed. Right now, the Barry M Glitter Bomb Glitter Eyeshadows are awesome, but if you're after something a little more like a liquid shimmer, check out the Lottie London Eye Foils! Another method of 'liquid glitter' is also glitter eyeliners - used all-over the lid, they work in the exact same way! My favourites have always been the Collection Glam Crystals Gel Eyeliners (so cheap but so good), but I also own one of the Urban Decay Heavy Metal Glitter Eyeliners aswell and would love to pick up more of them. I also picked up a couple of new additions as part of my recent first Beauty Bay Haul (which I shared earlier this month here) and though they are pretty new to my collection, going on what I've tried of them so far - I already love them. One of them is the OPV Liquid Glitter in 'Give Me Glow' - a gorgeous, warm, orangey brown. Perfect for this time of year and the whole formula and set-up reminds me a lot of the Collection offering too - so I just had to throw it in here. I also finally picked up one of the Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter and Glow Liquid Eyeshadows, in 'Kitten Karma' (a warm, champagne gold). These really live up to the hype - so, so pigmented in just one stroke and basically makes or transform your entire eye look in a matter of seconds. Yay! Alternatively, I also recently also tried out the Primark Liquid Glitter Eyeshadows - basically, Primark's 'dupe' for the Stila ones - and though I would say they most definitely do not even come close to a dupe in any way (though, I never really expected them to be to be honest), they are still a decent option for an 'ordinary' liquid glitter that's more sheer and in-line with the likes of a glitter liner, that you'd use as a topper rather than a stand-alone eyeshadow. Finally, another method of 'liquid glitter' that I discovered this year was the Revolution Glitter Pastes. Very similar to a liquid glitter liner, just a little thicker in texture and with more 'chunky' glitter inside - and of course, you apply these with a separate brush!

The other area of makeup I feel like things can get a little sparkly this time of year is the ol' Lips. Especially in recent years when the whole concept of a lip 'topper' has become more of a thing - basically a clear/lightly tinted lip gloss, but packed full of reflective shimmer - perfect for the festive season! I actually got a couple of the Barry M Gloss Me Up Lip Glosses - both of a more sparkly formula - as part of a couple of free gift sets when placing a Superdrug order a few weeks ago and so far, I actually rather like them. Especially when taking just a few little dabs on top of my lipstick/lip colour of choice - they just give such a gorgeous, shimmery effect that really does draw attention to your pout and kinda makes them look a little more full and plump too - which is always something I'm after...

Moving away from Makeup and onto the other 'main' area of glittery goodness for me - Nails! Of course, the main brand that wins for this area is most definitely Barry M. Just like their classic nail colours, their Glitter Nail Paints just cannot be faulted. However, that certainly doesn't mean any other brands don't get a look in when it comes to the glittery nail colours in my stash. I also adore the likes of the Maybelline Color Show Nail Polishes - there's some awesome glitters amongst this general range - and also Rimmel make some great ones too. They also have their Finishing Touch Glitter Top Coat, which is great for if you just want to spice up your standard creme polish and add some instant sparkle for the festive season! Generally, I really think most brands make awesome glitter polishes or 'toppers' and no doubt if you go on a peruse of your local Boots or Superdrug you'll find some great ones, no matter what your preferences or colour scheme may be...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS