navigation

Thursday 13 December 2018

Battle of The Glitter Liquid Eyeshadow - Stila VS Primark #DitsyDecember



Christmas and New Year's is all about the glitter - right? So, I guess it comes as no big surprise that I've recently been trying out some new variations of the sparkly stuff. Over the last year or so, I have become obsessed with 'liquid glitter' - which is basically exactly what it says on the tin. Glitter that's already suspended in some kind of liquid or gel base, meaning you can quite literally just swipe it on, leave to dry and you're good to go. No loose particles, no glue required and much less mess or fuss too! 

And one liquid glitter product (which is also perhaps one of, if not the formula that kick-started this whole 'liquid glitter' trend in general) are the Stila Magnificent Metals Glitter and Glow Liquid Eyeshadows. Ever since they were first released a couple of years back, everyone has gone utterly mad for them. They get rave reviews, they sound amazing and they look equally-amazing too but for me, there has always been one thing standing in the way of me actually trying them out for myself. The price-tag. These originally retail at a grand total of £24 each. Ouch. Personally, I have always felt that is just a little too pricey for one shadow, no matter how good they may be and so have never had the chance to give them a go - until now. Beauty Bay recently had a massive sale on basically everything on their website, including these beauties from Stila. And the discount was pretty good (like, I'm talking nearly a tenner off-type good) so I took the opportunity to pick one up at last and eventually I opted for perhaps the most popular of them all - 'Kitten Karma' - a gorgeous, warm, champagne-gold. Not only does this seem to be one of the most hyped-about shades, it also appeared to me as the ideal colour to pick up for me, as it also seems the most versatile in being able to be paired with tonnes of colours and used in a lot of types of looks too. So, I finally gave into the hype and let's just say, when my order finally turned up - I was pretty damn excited to get to trying it out. And you know what? These really are as good as everyone claims them to be. It gives such a fully-opaque, rich colour with such an intensely-glittery finish - all in one swipe. It doesn't take long at all to set down so you must work quickly if you want to move things around or buff out any harsh edges, but once it's dry - it completely stays in place, looking just as glittery and with no creasing or flaking off, at all. I'm in love with this colour too - such a super-pretty, versatile shade that's ideal for so many looks! Basically, though I still think they are very overpriced originally, I definitely can see where all of the hype comes from. If I ever get another chance to buy them more cheaply - I certainly would!

However, during that time in which I was waiting for my Beauty Bay goodies to arrive, I was perusing the beauty department in my local Primark (as you would have seen in this post from last month) and came across what I immediately thought of as their 'dupe' - the Liquid Glitter Eyeshadows. These beauties retail at just £3 each - a fraction of the price-point of the Stila ones, even when bought discounted - and as I said, they immediately caught my eye as a potential cheaper alternative. Honestly, I didn't have my hopes set too high as from what I've seen, none of the more affordable dupes that have even been released in competition of Stila have ever seemingly even held a candle to them, but I was simply thinking they could be a good liquid glitter product in their own right. And, from trying them out - I actually still stand by that statement. Though these are very nice, they  aren't in any way a 'dupe' for the Stila Glitter and Glow's. The colours are more sheer and actually require building up and the glitter particles aren't as reflective and eye-catching either. The formula is still very good - they stay as applied on the eyes without crumbling off and don't crease - but I would say they take that little bit longer to dry and set into place. But, maybe that could be a plus for some, as it does give a little more play-time! So, there's pro's and con's - but I'd personally say that they aren't really the same, but still a nice product for the price that you pay. They're also not so much liquid glitter 'eyeshadows', but more so a 'topper' which you'd layer over your finished eye look to add some glitter, rather than use alone as you would the Stila ones.

Overall, whilst the Primark ones are pretty good for the amazingly affordable price-point, if you looking for a very close or exact dupe of the infamous Stila Glitter and Glow's - maybe they aren't so much the ones for you. Personally, I think I prefer the latter (although I definitely do not prefer the higher price-tag)...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS