navigation

Thursday 6 December 2018

Festive Makeup Favourites - Lip Products #DitsyDecember


Welcome to the third and final 'Festive Makeup Favourites'! A couple of days ago, I started this little mini 'series' which basically does exactly what it says on the tin - a run-down of all of my top makeup picks for the festive season - and with 'Face' and 'Eyes' having already been covered, of course the finale is all about the ol' Lips'! Let's get started...

NIVEA LIP BALM - First off, before we get into 'proper' lip products, I just had to give a couple of mentions to products you'd used beforehand as of course - the perfect lip starts with good prep - right? A good lip balm is definitely one of those products because, if you want a good lip look, you'll want your lips to be thoroughly hydrated and nourished beforehand and this one from Nivea is awesome for that. Simple, classic - but for good reason - a light layer of this right at the start of your makeup application is enough to ensure your lips are ready and raring to go by the time it comes to do your lips and especially if you're gonna be wearing matte lips or liquid lipsticks (as I tend to use basically exclusively when it comes to reds), combined with the possible negative effects the colder weather can have on your pout - a lip balm will be your best friend this time of year!

BARRY M PEPPERMINT LIP SCRUB - Another key prep step (in my opinion) for the ol' lips this time of year is a good lip scrub. Just like moisturising them with a lip balm, ensuring they're super-smooth and free of any dead skin and all that kinda stuff (yum) is an essential too. This one from Barry M is your classic, basic sugar scrub that you scoop out, rub over your lips and wipe any excess off (or even do it yourself by licking your lips) and trust me, your lips will feel so soft, smooth and ready for makeup afterwards - plus the scent of this one is kinda unintentionally Christmassey too...

NYX LIP LINER IN 'HOT RED' - I'm definitely gonna be focusing on the reds for this post - what with it being the classic Christmas lip colour and all that - and of course, to start things off you're gonna need a good red lip liner! Whether it's simply to define, or overline (something I definitely love to do) - a good lip liner is an essential, in my opinion - especially when it comes to deeper, bolder colours such as red where you really need a crisp, define shape. I have so many brand favourites, one of which the liners from NYX. Last year, I picked up this true, bright red colour from their 'standard' lip liner range and it's been one of my faves ever since. The formula glides on easily, allowing you to create a smooth, clean shape and yet it also stays put all day/night long aswell. It really helps keep whatever lip colour you have on in place well and this colour just works with so many of my red lipsticks too!

RIMMEL 1000 KISSES LIP LINER IN 'RED DYNAMITE' - If you're after another awesome, cheap red lip liner - one of my other maim faves has to be this one from Rimmel. I love the 1000 Kisses Lip Liners and this one, much like the NYX offering, is a gorgeous true red that pairs well with any classic red lipstick in my collection. Again, the formula is creamy enough to apply easily, yet waxy enough to allow complete control and really stick around well on the lips - and in doing so, make whatever lippie you layer over the top last much longer too.

BARRY M MATTE ME UP LIQUID LIP PAINT IN 'PAPARAZZI' - Moving onto actual lipsticks - first off starting with my personal favourite formula (especially for a red lip) - liquid lipsticks! This whole range from Barry M is definitely one of my favourite liquid lip formulas and this colour is no exception - it. is. gorgeous. A true, classic red that applies fully opaque in one coat, has that powdery-matte finish that I always look for in a good matte liquid lip and once on, lasts really well with only minimal top-ups needed throughout the day or night - I'd highly suggest you give this one a go if you haven't already...

SLEEK MATTE ME LIP CREAM IN 'RIOJA RED' - If you're after a red matte liquid lip that's a little more of a 'brighter' red - look no further than this one from Sleek. I'd always heard amazing things about this shade and having already fell in love with the range, I finally got my hands on it as part of a set last Christmas and let's just say I love it so much, I soon went out and bought the full size soon afterwards. The ofrmula is awesome - for basically all of the same reasons I adore the ones from Barry M - and I really like this colour too. It's still very much a true, Christmassey red, just a little brighter  and more vibrant and with this almost coral-tone - but without being a full-out orangey rouge. Plus, the formula is awesome - for basically all of the same reasons I love the above offering from Barry M!

WET 'N' WILD LIQUID CATSUIT MATTE LIPSTICK IN 'MISSY AND FIERCE' - A more recent discovery is this matte liquid lip range from Wet 'N' Wild. I finally tried out a handful of their product not too long ago and this range - at least, going by the two colours I've tried so far - was possibly one of my favourite, favourites. These are so lightweight on the lips, yet apply so full and opaque in colour in just one coat and once on and dried down, they're possibly one of the longest-lasting liquid lips formulas I've tried. Seriously. I really love this true red colour too and am super-glad I picked it up. A similar true rouge type of colour to the Barry M offering, this is just such a gorgeous, flattering red and combined with the awesome formula - it's a winner for this time of year.

MAYBELLINE SUPERSTAY MATTE INK LIQUID LIPSTICK IN 'PIONEER' - I just had to give this colour a cheeky mention - not only does it differ formula-wise to all of the other liquid lips I've mentioned in this post, the colour also does too. These liquid don't dry as matte, matte - instead, they kinda retain a slightly shiny, patent-like finish - and so, if a slightly more glossy look is more your kinda thing - this red liquid lip might be for you! It still very much sets down and actually manages to be one of the most hard-wearing, long-lasting formulas but the satin-like effect it has means it's also one of the most comfortable and forgiving too. The colour is also a complete beaut - a little deeper, but still very much a true red as opposed to a burgundy tone - and so it makes for the perfect Christmas lip!

MAC MATTE LIPSTICK IN 'RUBY WOO' - If a classic bullet lipstick is what you're after - look no further than this one from MAC. After so many years of hearing amazing things about 'Ruby Woo', I finally gave into the hype around this time last year - and I'm pretty glad I did. The colour is a gorgeous, true red with a lovely bright undertone and for Christmas, it is just a perfect colour. Also, considering this is just a matte lipstick, not a matte liquid lipstick - this formula real matte, matte. Like, it really does apply onto the lips super-duper matte; however at the same time, it doesn't feel or look that drying on the lips at the same time? It's just looks so smooth and feels rather comfortable to wear too and as always with MAC Lipsticks - the sweet scent is pretty yummy aswell. Mmhmmm...

BARRY M GLOSS ME UP LIP GLOSSES IN 'PARTY STARTER' AND 'ANGEL CAKE' - Finally, let's finish up on a little something different and extra, yeah? I'm not really a gloss girl - especially for brighter or bolder colours such as reds - but if you are, or you do fancy adding a little somethin' somethin' - gloss is the way to go! Especially, in this case, what is now deemed a lip 'topper'. Nowadays, there are so many ranges of these which are wholly dedicated to being 'lip toppers' but in essence, they are basically clear or tinted glosses with sparkle and shimmer added in for good measure - so any gloss with a sprinkle of the sparkly stuff will do nicely! These two from Barry M I actually received as part of a free set when placing a Superdrug order a few weeks ago - so I know you might not be able to get your hands on them, but as I said, there are so many ranges of actual lip toppers on offer, or just shimmery glosses in general that I'm sure you can find one you love too. A great little finishing touch to add some fun, festive feel to your lip look!

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS