navigation

Monday 10 December 2018

Ten Top Tried Of 2018 - Makeup #DitsyDecember


Every year in #DitsyDecember, since way back in 2014 (wowsers), I always do a 'Five Favourite Finds' of that particular year and last year, I actually only featured makeup products I'd discovered in my round-up too. I really wanted to repeat that format this time around, however this year, I have to admit that I was kinda struggling with whittling it down to just five favourite makeup products I'd found throughout 2018. I know, I know. There's just been so many great finds this year and so, eventually I decided to extend it to a Top 10. I promise next year I'll try and condense things back to the usual 'Five Favourite Finds'-type format! But for now, introducing my 'Top Ten Tried of 2018' - Makeup Edition...

REVOLUTION CONCEAL AND DEFINE RANGE - I just had to give this entire range a mention here. Not only did the release of the Conceal and Define Concealer back at the very start of 2018 come as a major win for me, the later launch of the matching foundation more towards the tail-end also became a new favourite of mine. The concealer gives such amazing full coverage with such little product, blends out like a dream and stays in place all day; whilst the foundation is more of a buildable finish but can be easily layered up to a full-coverage base and though sets to a demi-matte, doesn't look dry or cakey on my dry skin. If you're still yet to give one or both of these a go - I definitely recommend doing so! MENTIONED HERE AND HERE.

LOTTIE LONDON 'READY, SET! GO' TRANSLUCENT SETTING POWDER - This is my new favourite translucent loose setting powder. Period. As I always do with this type of product, I use this every time I 'bake' my face and it works like a dream. So lightweight and finely-milled, yet locks things into place effectively and never makes my skin appear heavy, dry or cakey in anyway. Also, it really is completely colourless ad unlike many translucent loose powders, never leaves a white cast - meaning it doesn't flashback either. Hallelujah! MENTIONED HERE

CYO WHEN THE SUN DON'T SHINE BRONZING POWDER IN 'FAIR' - I've found a new favourite bronzer this year - and its so, so cheap too! This is literally under a fiver and yet it's pretty damn amazing. It's completely matte (as you probably know, I personally prefer matte bronzers), is the perfect depth of colour for my paler skin-tone and is warm, without being orangey, so never leaves me looking like an Oompa Loompa - which is always a bonus. It's pigmented enough to show up pretty instantly, but doesn't deposits too much colour at once and the formula is very creamy and really blends into the skin without too much effort at all. MENTIONED HERE.

MAYBELLINE MASTER CHROME EXTREME METALLIC HIGHLIGHTER IN 'ROSE GOLD' - I try so many highlighters every year, so I guess it's inevitable that I'll find one or five new favourites come the end of another one and that is definitely the case here. Actually, I could have easily thrown in another handful of glow-givers that I discovered sometime in 2018 that I now bloomin' adore but I needed to pick just one and in the end, that was this one from Maybelline. I have wanted to try one of their Master Chrome Highlighters for so, so long. They came out in the US ages ago, took ages to come to the UK and when they did, all of the shades just weren't right for my skin-tone. However, I always seen one in particular over in the US that I thought might and finally, a few months back it was released (along with a few others) over here in the UK. Yay! I picked it up and have been in love ever since. This formula is so creamy and just glides onto the skin, depositing such an intense glow that is so blinding and yet so smooth and not at all glittery or chunky. The colour of this is also just gorgeous - as the name suggests, a gorgeous pinky rose gold that kinda differs from a lot of other highlighters in my collection and works perfectly on my paler skin-tone. MENTIONED HERE.

P.LOUISE BASE IN '02 RUMOUR' - I finally found a new eye base/primer this year that replaced my beloved, holy grail Urban Decay Primer Potion. I know, it's a pretty big deal. After hearing everyone and their wife rave on about how ood this base from P.Louise is, I caved at last and bought one to try for myself. And you know what? I love it. It almost like a concealer in formula in that it completely cancels out and covers up the lid, leaving a complete blank canvas and left un-set (seriously, trust me), it really helps you create an awesome eye look. Eyeshadows apply uber-pigmented, blend like a dream and last all day long without any fading or creasing in anyway. What more could you want? MENTIONED HERE.

REVOLUTION TAMMI TROPICAL PARADISE PALETTE/SOPH EXTRA SPICE PALETTE - Eyeshadow-wise, again I could easily give a shout-out to about a hundred different palettes as - like always - over the course of the year I've tried so, so many and have fell in love with a tonne of them too. However, I had to whittle it down somehow and so, I've opted for a little cheeky two-in-one here. I know, but they are both by the same brand - so just let me have this one, please? Both are collaboration palettes by Revolution - one the second by SophDoesNails and the other from Tammi Clarke - and I think these have to be my favourite two palettes I've tried this year and definitely two of my most-used too. Both have a handful of gorgeous neutrals, cool and warm tones but they also both have a lot of pops of colour woven in-between too. The shadows are of such amazing quality (as always with Revolution eyeshadow palettes) with creamy, blendable mattes and super-metallic shimmers and they stay all day on the eyes too. Love, love, LOVE. MENTIONED HERE AND HERE.

BARRY M GLITTER BOMB GLITTER EYESHADOWS - This year has definitely been the year of the eye topper. Over the course of 2018 not only have I found a lot of liquid glitters and shimmers that I've fell in love with, I've also just generally found and fell in love with the whole concept of an eyeshadow 'topper' too. Unlike a liquid eyeshadow that you can use by itself or as a base for powder shadows to adhere over the top, these are primarily engineered to apply over the top as a finishing touch and I have certainly found a couple of ranges that I've fell in love with - these form Barry M being one of them. These are quite literally like liquid glitter - super-reflective, sparkly flecks suspended in a clear or tinted gel formula. Simply gently pat these on wherever you want them on your eyes, eave to dry down and you're good to go. Once set into place, the glitter stays looking sparkly, without flaking off or making things crease in anyway all day long and I'm pretty pleased to have basically built up the whole collection by this point. MENTIONED HERE.

LOTTIE LONDON EYE FOILS - Another eye topper that I've fallen in love with in 2018 and have also collected a lot of the shades of already is this range from Lottie London. These are more like 'liquid shimmers' as opposed to 'glitters' like the Glitter Bombs as they deposit more of a finely-milled wash of sparkle rather than the heavier look that the Barry M offering gives but I actually really love how there's the difference of finishes there. These also have a bit more behind them in terms of the base and so really, they kinda feel like more of a sheer liquid shadow that, once applied over the top of your eye look, helps intensify things all over, aswell as adding a finishing, dazzling touch. Like the Barry M ones, they never disrupt whatever you already have going on underneath and once dried down, stay looking vibrant and sparkly without flaking off, creasing or generally moving in anyway. I really like these! MENTIONED HERE.

MAC MATTE LIPSTICK IN 'VELVET TEDDY' - Last (but not least), we come to Lips. And I mean, I just had to mention a nude lip somewhere? Again, nude lipsticks are one of most-tried type of products - whatever the brand, range or format may be  and though again, I could have easily mentioned tonnes of new favourites I've found somewhere along the line in 2018, I think I just had to give it to this one by MAC. I have wanted to try the infamous 'Velvet Teddy' for years now and finally during my last trip to London I finally decided to treat myself to it with some leftover birthday money - and I've loved it ever since. This is like my perfect nude, almost like a 'MLBB'-type colour for me. It just looks like my natural lip colour, just better, yanno? As always with the Matte Lipsticks from MAC, they're proper matte-matte, but at the same time never feel or look too drying or uncomfortable and last on the lips a real good amount of time before needing a top-up too! MENTIONED HERE.

WET 'N' WILD LIQUID CATSUIT MATTE LIPSTICKS - Finally, again, I love trying out liquid lipsticks left, right and centre and though I've found a few new favourite shades and formulas throughout 2018, I think I just have to give it to this range by Wet 'N' Wild. Not only are the two colours I've picked up so far super gorgeous and really great for this time of year in particular, the formula is just awesome. These apply super creamy on the lips, yet soon dry down fully to a matte-matte finish that I love and once settled into place, they really do. not. budge. Seriously, I wore one of them basically all day once and only needed to lightly top-up around the very centre of my lips occasionally throughout the day. They're that good and so cheap too! Definitely pick up a colour or two up for yourself if you haven't tried them already... MENTIONED HERE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS