navigation

Monday 4 January 2021

2020 Favourites Part One: Makeup, Nails and Tools






Christmas and New Year's are both done for another year, January has come round again and as always, it's time to talk all of my beauty favourites from the past year! It's a two-part affair once more - with today focusing on Makeup, Nails and Tools and the next edition honing in on Bath and Body, Haircare and Skincare -  and I can't wait to get started! So, let's just get straight into all of my 2020 Beauty Favourites...


Makeup:

BEST PRIMER - Barry M Unicorn Primer Drops - I tried a fair few new face primers this year (as well as continuing to love a lot of old faves) but I think if I had to pick just one that really stood out to me, it'd be this one right here! I really fell in love with the primer drop range from Barry M this year and the Unicorn Primer Drops have been a particular go-to. You only need a couple of drops of this, it blends in like a dream and I just love the overall effect it gives. This primer really hydrates my skin, leaving it feeling and looking uber glowy and refreshed and it also has a slightly tacky finish - which of course, really helps in good makeup adherence! My makeup just grips super nicely and lasts impeccably throughout the day when I use this - and along with how dewy it makes my skin look and feel? It's a winner... MENTIONED HERE.
BEST FOUNDATION Revolution Conceal and Glow Foundation in 'F2' - It's no secret that I really enjoy the foundations from Revolution. And this year, I found a new favourite - Conceal and Glow! This was released a few months back and it really reminds me of my other go-to from them - Conceal and Hydrate - except this one has a slightly runnier formula extra-glowy feel and finish and just a tad less coverage. And if I'm honest, when I say 'less coverage', it's still a good medium-full buildable finish - which is what I go for on the regular - so that really isn't a complaint at all! This base also blends easily, sits nice and smoothly on the skin and lasts super well throughout the day too! MENTIONED HERE.
Wet 'n Wild Photo Focus Dewy Foundation in 'Soft Ivory' - This was another new foundation to me in 2020 that I also really enjoyed using, so I knew it had to get a well-deserved mention! And I love it for very similar reasons - blends like a dream, sits smoothly on the skin, lasts impeccably and gives the skin a lovely, glowy, dewy finish (just as the name suggests!). Plus, it's an utter bargain too... MENTIONED HERE.
BEST CONCEALER - Revolution Conceal and Hydrate Concealer in 'C1' - This concealer remained a staple of mine this year. I did really enjoy the ELF Hydrating Camo Concealer and it's very close between the two, but when I really think about it - I think this one from Revolution just about takes the top spot! A super hydrating, blendable formula that feels so comfortable and lightweight on the skin (especially the under-eyes), looks pretty flawless and has amazing coverage - what more could you ask for? I just love how this concealer combines easy-to-use and easy-to-wear formula, whilst still being full coverage at the same time. MENTIONED HERE.
Rimmel Lasting Finish Concealer in 'Porcelain' - This concealer makes an appearance in every Yearly Favourites as it remains a staple in my collection and routine. If I ever need that extra dot of coverage on a stubborn blemish or need a firm, concealer texture to pair with a flat, detailer brush to clean up my brows or any makeup 'mistakes' - this is the one I go for. MENTIONED HERE.
BEST POWDER - Collection Primed and Ready Invisible Setting Powder - Again, a returning favourite - this pressed powder is still my go-to! Fully colourless and coverage-less, just as I like it - this simply mattifies and removes any excess, unwanted shine and sets my makeup in place! It really does act 'invisible' on the skin! It doesn't make my skin appear or feel dry or cakey in anyway, doesn't make my skin look too matte and flat and doesn't leave a cast on my skin. It also really does help fully lock my makeup into place - the most important part, of course! MENTIONED HERE.
I Heart Revolution Coconut Baking Powder - A new favourite from 2020 - this translucent loose powder! I'd heard such amazing, rave reviews about this and I finally decided it was time to give it a try and let's just say - I am so glad I gave into the hype. Not only does this smell delicious (all tropical and coconut-ty), it also works like a dream too. This colour is perfect for my paler skin. A super pale, ivory shade that's basically translucent - it doesn't really add any colour, but as it is so bright and light, it does work to help brighten things up nicely. It's super finely-milled, picks up easily with a damp sponge to 'bake' the under-eyes and smile lines and dusts away with ease. Once dusted away, my skin is left feeling and looking so soft and smooth! It fully mattifies and locks areas fully into place, but without leaving my skin looking or feeling dry or cakey - all in all, I'm in love! MENTIONED HERE.
Revolution Pro Skin Finish Powder in 'Luminescent' - I fell in love with the Revolution Pro Skin Finishes last year and continued to adore them in 2020. 'Opalescent' was my original love and still remains a favourite, but I actually think 'Luminescent' has been more of a reached-for shade for me this year. Slightly lighter all-over in colour, this is perhaps an even better shade match for my paler skin. I can swipe this on all-over rather liberally and never worry about it depositing too much colour or leaving any cast behind. These powders have a gorgeous, subtle sheen so are great for using on the whole complexion to add a general glow before going in with your actual highlighter for specific, highlighting areas! MENTIONED HERE.
BEST BRONZER - Revolution Pro Sculpting Bronzer in 'Bahia' - I discovered a new bronzer favourite in 2020 - and it's another Revolution Beauty product! This bronzer is awesome. Not only is it a great colour for my paler skin (not too deep, nor too light), it's also got a great tone to it too. It's warm, but without being orangey and so adds that bronzy-ness, but doesn't make you look like an Ooompa Loompa at the same time. It's pigmented, but not overly so - and so it deposits just the right amount of colour to enable you to build it up as you wish - and it's also got a really creamy, blendable formula aswell. It's completely matte as far as I can see too - which is great, as that's always my preference when it comes to bronzers... MENTIONED HERE.
BEST CONTOUR - Essence Contouring Duo Palette in 'Lighter Skin' - I can't believe it, but I actually found a new favourite contour product that replaced my beloved NYX Blush in 'Taupe'! I bought this item from Essence after hearing MakeMeUpMissa rave on about it and after seeing how utterly affordable it was - I knew I had to pick it up to see what all the fuss was about. And oh my, I love it! Inside this handy duo compact you get a lighter, 'bone' shade and a deeper, ash taupe. The latter works great as my 'regular' contour shade for my cheekbones, jawline, temples' whilst I've found the 'bone' colour to be a pretty vital new addition to my collection. Usually, I'd have to either use a lighter hand or a super small amount of product of my regular contour colour when it comes to areas like my nose - where I want to contour, but don't want to use such a deep, intense shade to do so. And this is where that lighter colour in this palette comes in! I can simply pick some of this shade up on a slightly smaller brush and use it to sculpt out my nose and it works a treat every time. Both powders are pigmented (but again, not too much so as to be intimidating) and blend easily - what's not to love? MENTIONED HERE.
BEST HIGHLIGHTER - Obsession 'Mega Lightning' Highlighter - This offering from Obsession remained probably my most reached for when it comes to my affordable highlighters. A pale, icy glow with golden marbling running throughout - it complements my paler skin-tone like a dream and I love it. You only need the lightest tap in the pan to achieve such an intense, blinding glow and though it is really reflective, it's so smooth and sheen-ey and with not one chunk of glitter in sight. It just gives that nice, 'wet' look - you know? MENTIONED HERE.
Benefit 'Cookie Highlighter' - When it comes to the more 'boujee' side of things, Benefit Cookie has definitely been a new favourite of mine this year. After hearing so many rave reviews, in January I finally gave into the hype - and I'm so, so glad I did! A stunning, light pearlescent pink - I was admittedly at first a little apprehensive as to whether this shade would work well for my paler skin-tone, I was really pleasantly surprised when it actually did! It's got this slight warm undertone that just helps complement my complexion so well and again, it's that formula which is super intense with the smallest amount of product, but at the same time it doesn't contain any chunky glitter at all. It just gives that stunning, blinding, smooth glow! MENTIONED HERE.
BEST BROW PRODUCT - MUA Brow Define Micro Pencils in 'Light Brown' and 'Mid Brown' - I love a good skinny, micro brow pencil and 2020 was the year when I found yet another super affordable option - the ones from MUA! These are awesome. Both of these shades together combine perfectly for my brows - the former, lighter hue is great for feathering the front of the brows, whilst the latter, deeper colour is great for the main bulk of my brows. The formula is hard and 'waxy' enough to create precise, hair-like strokes but it's also got that slight softness that enables it to applied and brushed through easily at the same time! MENTIONED HERE.
L'Oreal Brow Artiste Plumper in 'Medium/Dark' - This brow gel from L'Oreal remained my favourite for 2020. Keeps my brows in place, adds a nice tint of colour and the added fibers help to add some well-needed extra fullness to my naturally sparse brows! Will I ever find a new fave? Stay tuned... MENTIONED HERE.
BEST EYE PRIMER - Revlon Candid Concealer in 'Vanilla' - This just had to be included in here didn't it? Ever since trying this out as an eye base/primer towards the start of 2020, it's been my go-to ever since. MakeMeUpMissa started raving about using this as an eye primer as she could apply it, leave it un-set and go straight in with eyeshadow and nothing would crease/fade/transfer throughout the day - and she was so right! Usually if I eve use a concealer as an eye base I have to lightly set it with powder as if not, my eyeshadow will crease so badly - but this concealer seems to be the exception! My eyeshadow sticks so well onto this base, applying super pigmented and opaque - but it also blends seamlessly without going patchy and once everything's all done, it wears impeccably. No creasing, no fading, no transferring - nothing! I'm so happy I tried this out... MENTIONED HERE.
BEST  CREAM/LIQUID EYESHADOW - Barry M X Anna Lingis Eye Foil in 'Heat' - I haven't reached for a load of cream or liquid eyeshadows this year, but if there's one that I really did use and enjoy (likely because I tried it out for the first time in 2020), it's this one from Barry M! Another MakeMeUpMissa recommendation, this looked stunning on camera and it really does look stunning in real life too. A light, golden champagne with flecks of pink and green running through it - it's gorgeous! If I'm doing a more 'simple' makeup day, I especially love to just throw some of this on my entire lid with a small, flat brush, add loads of mascara and call it a day - and though it's super simple, it's so effective at the same time!  It's so intense, reflective and sparkly and doesn't crease, crack or flake off throughout the day either. MENTIONED HERE.
BEST LIQUID GLITTER - Technic The Glitz Liquid Glitter Eyeshadow in 'Gold' - I really haven't worn a lot of glitter this year thanks to everything going on (boo!) and if I have, I've had a lot of different favourites depending on what I want. However, I recently wore this one as a glitter topper for over Christmas and I really fell back in love with it again. A classic, warm yellow gold hue that's so pretty and goes with so many looks - so quick and easy to apply, doesn't crack, fade or transfer throughout the day either! MENTIONED HERE.
BEST EYESHADOW PALETTE - I have to be honest, I have too many eyeshadow palette favourites from this year to whittle it down to just one palette for 2020. For the purpose of the photo, I included just one of them - the BPerfect X Stacey Marie Love Tahiti Palette - but I have so many other favourite palettes from 2020 too! I did recently do a post last month in #DitsyDecember where I shared my Top Ten Eyeshadow Palettes, so I think it's probably best that I share that here, as I really don't think I can narrow down one favourite from those top, top picks. They're all so amazing and have all thoroughly impressed me this year! 
BEST LIQUID LINER - Maybelline Hyper Easy Liquid Eyeliner - I didn't think I'd ever find a liquid liner that replaced my beloved NYX Epic Ink Liner but this year, I actually did! I was intrigued by this one from Maybelline as it looks a lot like the Epic Ink  - and it turns out it really is comparable. It's got that slim, fine brush tip (just as I like my liquid liners to be) and creates such precise, sharp lines and wings. It's super pitch black, dries quickly to a matte finish (my usual preference for a liquid liner) and though the formula is really 'liquidy', it never bleeds on the eyes. In fact, once all set and dried down, my wings stay in place all day long - no transferring, smudging or flaking! MENTIONED HERE.
BEST EYELINERS - Barry M Hi Vis Collection - I really enjoyed this whole collection from Barry M ever since they first launched it back around the Summer - and I thought it fit right into a section like this as they're all varying formats of eyeliners! From the Liquid Liners to the Kohl Liners to the Water Activated Paints - all really affordable, in a stunning, wide ranges of shades and great quality formulas too. I can't wait to keep using all of them next year and beyond to help carry on pushing myself to create more creative, intricate eye looks! MENTIONED HERE.
BEST MASCARA - Maybelline Lash Sensational Mascara - This mascara remains a staple - if I'm not trying a new mascara or am unsure what old favourite to go back to, I'll go back to this one right here. This adds so much length, volume and thickness - all whilst still separating and fanning my lashes out nicely at the same time! It's super pitch black and though doesn't claim to be waterproof, it never smudges, transfers or crumbles off throughout the day. MENTIONED HERE.
MAC Extended Play Mascara - This mascara remained my go-to for my lower lashes in 2020. I find it's the only mascara I can use on them that won't smudge, transfer, flake off - nothing. It's a tubing mascara so is really hard-wearing, but still removes so easily at the end of the day! MENTIONED HERE.
BEST LIP BALM - Barry M Lip Rehab - I've tried and loved a lot of lip balms and treatments this year, but this one from Barry M was definitely a favourite of mine! Another Missa suggestion, this 'lip rehab' works like a treat! You only need the smallest amount as it kind of melts as you apply it to the lips and it instantly makes them feel and look so soft, smooth and deeply nourished. I love to apply this before bed, throughout the day if I'm wearing no makeup or if I am - I love to use this right as I start my makeup routine so that by the time I'm going to do my Lips, any dry, dead skin is gone and they're all ready for lip colour! MENTIONED HERE.
BEST LIP SCRUB Barry M Mango Lip Scrub - Barry M also have my favourite lip scrubs too - I used to love the Peppermint one, but since using that all up, I've moved onto the Mango 'flavour' and have been equally enjoying it! It's 'rough' enough to really buff off those dead skin cells and make my lips all smooth, soft and ready for lip colour, but it's still not too aggressive or harsh at the same time. These lip scrubs also all smell and taste nice too - which is always a handy bonus... MENTIONED HERE.
BEST LIP LINER - I love a good lip liner and as always, I've had a good few favourites this year, brand-wise! From the MUA Intense Colour Lip Liners, to the Primark Lip Liners and also the NYX Lip Liners - all fab, affordable but also amazing quality. They all come in such a wide selection of shades - whether you want nudes, pinks, red, oranges, purples or perhaps a 'crazy' colour -  and formula-wise, they are just perfect. Creamy enough to glide on easily, super rich and pigmented but also with enough of that 'waxy' texture to allow for a controlled and precise application and a long-wearing finish too. Yay!
BEST LIQUID LIPSTICKS - Once again, I have a lot of favourites when it comes to liquid lipsticks - as they remain one of my most-used, go-to lipstick formats! I haven't really found any new (or new-to-me) formulas this year, but I have continued to enjoy all of my old favourites - such as the likes of RevolutionWet 'n' WildMaybelline and Sleek!
BEST LIP GLOSS - Last year, I finally discovered how good lipgloss can be and that certainly continued throughout 2020. Alongside those faves, I also found new loves in new shades of my staple formulas! Both the I Heart Revolution Chocolate Lipglosses and NYX Butter Glosses were definite go-to's for me in 2020. Both have gorgeous shades (lots of nudes, as I personally never like to go glossy with a bold or bright lip colour!), super shiny but non-sticky and just really comfortable and lightweight on the lips... 
BEST NUDE LIP - Revolution Matte Lipstick in 'Chauffeur' - I've loved a lot of nude lippies this year - as always - but I think I have to give the crown to this one right here. This has a matte, but comfortable and non-drying in both look and feel formula and a finish that hangs around on the lips for a good while before reapplication is needed. And the colour is the perfect light (but not too light) beige nude for me, with a hint of a mauve undertone. I started using it so much this year that I threw it into my Project Pan 2020 - and as a result, have made quite a lot of progress on it too! MENTIONED HERE.
BEST BOLD LIP - Revolution Powder Matte Lipsticks - I've used a variety of different brands, ranges and formulas whenever I've wanted a bold, bright or deep lip colour this year - but I think if I had to choose an ultimate favourite, it'd be this range right here. I already loved this lipstick formula before 2020, but I think I've just fallen more in love with it these past few months. I've bought more shades as a result! I've enjoyed them all, but I especially find myself reaching for this formula when I want a bright/bold lip as it offers complete comfort and a non dry look and feel, but still a super matte, transfer-proof and long-wearing finish at the same time. They're also really intense and pigmented - the colours are so stunning! I always go for matte when I go for a bright or bold lip colour and this range just seems to give the best of both worlds! MENTIONED HERE.
BEST SETTING SPRAY - Urban Decay All Nighter Setting Spray - It wouldn't be a Yearly Favourites from me without a mention of my holy grail setting spray! This remained my favourite, go-to throughout 2020 - giving my makeup a smooth, flawless finish and locking it completely into place all day and night long! MENTIONED HERE.
BEST FALSE LASHES - SoSu X Primark Lashes - Unfortunately, I didn't have a lot of opportunities to wear false lashes this year (cheers Covid!) but for the rare times that I did - as always, these were the ones I chose. My favourite lashes - full and dramatic but still really flattery and wispy at the same time! They're slightly winged out towards the outer corner so give your eyes that nice, slightly feline shape and pair so well with a good, winged liner! MENTIONED HERE.
BEST MAKEUP TOOL - Duo Lash Glue - And to pair with those lashes.. of course, my favourite lash glue! Quick and relatively easy to use - just apply a thin layer on the lash band, leave for a few seconds to become tacky and then apply! MENTIONED HERE.

Nails:

BEST NAIL POLISHES - Just like the past few years of yearly beauty favourites, I'm condensing this section in terms of nail colours right down into just one favourite per 'season'. I try, buy and use such a wide selection of polishes throughout the year - whether they be newbies or old favourites - and I also try different combinations of multiple polishes together too! So, I find it so much easier to just do things this way. However, if you do fancy taking a look at pretty much every new lacquer or combination I've done in 2020 - check out my 'Polish Pick' tag here...

BEST NAIL TOOL Essence Nail Corrector Pen - If I ever make a mistake when I'm painting my nails and it goes a little 'out of the lines' - this little corrector pen is so handy to have! Just gently swipe on the error and it doesn't take long to remove it and make my nails all neat and tidy again...
BEST NAIL CARE PRODUCT - Barry M So Cute-Icle! Cuticle Oil - After pushing back and trimming my cuticles, I always like to massage in a light layer of this cuticle oil to help nourish them and leave them looking super clean and tidy and it works a treat every time!
BEST BASE COAT/NAIL PRIMER - Barry M All In One Base and Top Coat - I'm not always one for a base coat, but I picked this one up this year as I'd heard applying a base coat before using a really glittery/shimmery polish is a food tip for making it easier to remove. This one from Barry M also claims to be a good top coat aswell and I've indeed found it super handy for both purposes - but especially as a base coat!
BEST TOP COAT - Maybelline Super Stay Flash Dry Quick Dry Top Coat - Maybelline continues to have my favourite top coats - this year, it's this quick-dry one that takes the crown! This gives my nails that super shiny, gel-like finish and also seals my look fully into place and keep it chip-free for longer too!
BEST HAND CREAM - Soap and Glory 'Hand Food' Hand Cream Pump - This classic hand cream remains my go-to, but this year I've especially loved this version that comes with a pump! Same amazing formula that leaves my hands feeling super soft and supple, but the pump makes for an even quicker and easier application! The scent is also so yummy, as always too... 

Tools:

BEST MAKEUP BRUSHES: Like last year, I thought this year I would simply give shout-outs to my favourite brush brands as opposed to favourite actual brushes - as I simply have so many go-to's! Alongside my usual faves such as Real Techniques, Essence, Primark and Beauty Bay - this year, I finally tried out Spectrum Brushes! And, if you didn't know already - I love them! Such great quality and such reasonable prices too. And of course, don't forget my beloved Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge!

BEST BRUSH CLEANER(S)Real Techniques Makeup Brush Deep Cleansing Gel - This brush cleanser remained my go-to in terms of deep cleaning my makeup brushes in 2020. You only need the smallest amount and combined with your damp brushes, it quickly foams up to really deeply cleanse them. Rinse out well, leave them to dry and your brushes are left as good as new once more! Clean, bacteria and dirt-free and ready to apply your makeup flawlessly again.
Real Techniques Brush Cleansing Palette - And in-conjunction with that deep brush cleanser, I love to use this handy palette - also from good ol' RT! This makes it so quick and easy to deep clean your brushes. You don't get that wrinkly skin for a little while afterwards from swirling your brushes in the palm of your hand and I find the patterns in the palette to really help get deep into the brushes and get all of that makeup and grime out in the first go! 
Primark Blend and Cleanse Brush Cleaning Spray - I love a good makeup brush clambering spray to 'spot clean' my brushes - mainly my eyeshadow brushes, as I use them so regularly, with such a variety of colours that they always need to be clean so colours don't muddy together. And this one from Primark is my favourite - super cheap, lasts for ages and does the job so well. I simply spray some of this on a cotton bad, lightly swirl my dirty brushes in it and you can instantly see all of the colour coming away! Plus, my brushes are near completely dry straight away, so I don't have to wait long to use them for my next eye look!

So there we have it - the first edition of my 2020 Beauty Favourites! Part 2 will be coming very soon, it'll be my next post - so definitely keep a look out for that! Also, please let me know what your favourites of the year have been in the comments below - I'd love to know! But, for now, I'll see you back here for my next post, when I'll be guiding you through all of my 2020 Beauty Favourites from the 'Bath and Body', 'Haircare' and 'Skincare'  departments...

No comments:

Post a Comment

TEMPLATE CREATED BY PRETTYWILDTHINGS